Italeri AW-101 Merlin TTI - any interesting paint/marking schemes to do?

WLJayne

Hi chaps,

I picked up a 1/72 Italeri Merlin TTI today, local shop had it on sale and I've always liked this helo. I would have preferred the ASW version but this is still nice.

This is the transport version with the ramp in the tail, and it looks great but the suggested paint scheme and decals for the Italian Navy are a bit uninspiring. Is there something more interesting I could do without modifying the airframe? I can always throw together some graphics and fire up the ALPS so I could easily make custom decals for any scheme. It doesn't haven to be an Italian or RN scheme - just anything interesting that stands out a bit.

Any ideas :)?

Ta,

Will.

I've been looking around, and I reckon this Norwegian SAR version would be really nice! Though I'd have to make the new nose part as well as the extra winch. Probably not too big a challenge :).

aw101-norway2-2x.jpg

Heritage do the update nose ,winch,doors ect

I've been looking around, and I reckon this Norwegian SAR version would be really nice! Though I'd have to make the new nose part as well as the extra winch. Probably not too big a challenge :).

aw101-norway2-2x.jpg

I say do the Norwegian version. Here's a link to the Heritage Models conversion if you're interested: http://www.kitsforcash.com/merlin-helicopter-raf--danish-detail--conversion-set-196-p.asp

Also found this sheet with a Danish Air Force attractive scheme with Chromate green paneling. It is a 1:48 scale sheet but I am sure you could use them as a template to scale them down or find some other photos etc as a starting point: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48131

Hope this helps.

You could do one of the early PP airframes or one of the nice VIP versions. My fav's are the Algerian & the one off Japanese police schemes! You'll have to modify kit to do any other than what's in the box. I'm currently building the new Italian CSAR version plus couple VIP versions. If you need any help in any way, PM me.

Dave

Thanks so much for all the helps guys!! I think I'm going to go with the Norwegian version, I like the colour scheme and markings :). Thanks for the suggestion of the Heritage set guys! Now I'm not super fussy about this, but it looks like the interior is different too, look at all the lovely detail here!!

http://no.agustawestland.com/medier/media-gallery/videos/aw101kabinpresentasjon?WT.ac=3D%20Kabin%20Presentasjon

You know, I'm sorely tempted to make a complete conversion set. Would anyone be interested? I can always put it out as a resin set.

I'll print off a whole sheet of the decals and make them available in my shop when I'm finished - might as well :). Just in case anyone else wants to model this variant.

EDIT: Also, anyone got good reference for how the rotors are folded? It looks like all current kits are dead wrong on this, and surely this problem is just crying out for a resin correction part which I could very easily put out.

Dammit, whemever I just want to put a kit together I end up designing new stuff :(. Don't mix your hobby with you business fellas!

Edited by GwylanModels

YES PLEASE! Never say no to extra's for a AW101!

Main rotor head is quite complex fold. There are photo's available if you do a search. I helped Heritage with their Danish/MK3A set few years ago, but could be improved! As said before, pm me if you need info.

Dave

• Like 1

If as appeared when I first read your post your a dealer fishing for orders you need to contact the moderators, as to sell on here you need 100 posts and use the appropriate section. hth chris

That wasn't my intention. I produce a few resin kits but it's still mostly a hobby for me and I'm just looking for ideas to do for fun. Part of the fun is often making new parts etc, and seeing as the hard work is done I usually ask if anyone would be interested as it's easy for me to put them in production. I don't cerry out any direct business on the forum without first asking the mods permission. So I assure you I'm not fishing for orders, this is just a personal project that might result in some bits that someone else might want, that's all.

YES PLEASE! Never say no to extra's for a AW101!

Main rotor head is quite complex fold. There are photo's available if you do a search. I helped Heritage with their Danish/MK3A set few years ago, but could be improved! As said before, pm me if you need info.

Dave

I will definitely take you up on that, seeing as that's product development rather than hobby I'd be happy to chat about it off the forum :).

You guys have been a great help, and now I know where to get the bits I need to do that Norwegian SAR so I'm really looking forward to the build!

Edited by GwylanModels

Despite that superb 3D CGI work the Norwegian version is based on the ASW airframe, ie without the rear loading ramp. A Canadian Cormorant or the Portuguese Air Force are attractive offerings however.

Edited by T7 Models

The one on the AgustaWestland SAR page is the transport one, as seen here :). I think they proposed both but the Norwegians chose the one with the ramp as it has what looks like a small trauma unit in the rear of the cabin which presumably is easier to get casualties out of.

aw101_norway.jpg

Edited by GwylanModels

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2018 at 2:44 PM, Robertone139 said:

Would like to revive this thread as new and very interesting decals were issued by Xtradecal with sheet number 72279.

We are still missing conversion parts for the noses and various ESM EW odds and ends.

I think there's a lot of bits missing....

The radar and FLIR in the nose firstly, the Italeri 101 also appears to have the old Teetering Tail Rotor, not the fully Articulated Tail Rotor, And, worst, many of the windows need the positions moved and bubble windows are needed in places. Things such as the winch can be got from existing kits whilst the Osprey radar can be scratch built fairly easily.

Not sure how to build it without a specific kit 😕

On 12/14/2014 at 8:02 AM, Truro Model Builder said:

Despite that superb 3D CGI work the Norwegian version is based on the ASW airframe, ie without the rear loading ramp. A Canadian Cormorant or the Portuguese Air Force are attractive offerings however.

I believe you are missing up to date information.

Vingtor Decals will definitely do decals for the Norwegian AW101, hopefully before too long. The Xtradecals set is nice, but there is room for improvements.

Re a conversion set, we should put some pressure on Whirlybirds to do a set.

Nils