Any Lotus 7 fans here?

Codger

A man of great taste Rizzo! As I'm sure you know the Elise designer was heavily influenced by the Dino shape...now where do I start on the Spyder? Cue me messing up a Lotus thread!

Mine is based on a body by GP Projects, who had a reputation for good mouldings? News to me though - I spent two years (from a five year build!) straightening the bodywork...nearly cost me my marriage,  which is why I stick to small stuff now! :)

The chassis is a simple Beetle floorpan which is shortened and floors lowered 4". The engine still hangs out the back and I use the good old fashioned swing axle! Handling in the dry is great and the backend goes very progressively...perfect for drifting. In the wet, it's nightmarish!

The Type1 engine was built by a great UK builder using a new Brazilian case and taken out to 1776cc. Balanced and blueprinted, it will happily rev to 8 grand. Topped off with American big valve heads from Jeff Denham and twin 40 Dellorto's. It's been rolling roaded at 120 bhp and pulls very well. I spent a day at Santa Pod running with an Elise owner and we posted similar times all afternoon...best ET is 13.4 seconds which is not bad in 165 tyres!

Other than final paint and the engine work, I did everything myself and it was a huge learning curve, not helped being pre-internet days. I had only one book with 6 monochrome photos for reference. I hacked various parts of the bodywork to get the finish I wanted.

Spyder20_zps8c747d11.jpg

All shutlines were reduced from 10mm to 4mm, doorskins removed to cure warpage, air ducts reshaped, headrest cut and shut, arches chopped for symmetry, the list is endless! All the tweaks were done using fibreglass resin, chopped grp mat and carbon cloth...there is no filler on the car at all.

Spyder19_zps9660d394.jpg

I built a mould for the seats, bought a Victorian sewing machine and a book on automotive upholstery and made the covers, handbrake boot, panels and piped carpet. I made my steering wheel from an old Mountney wheel, thinned the rim, split it in two and made the 120 degree spider, cut from 4mm alloy with a handsaw!

Spyderdash_zpsb4ec20a3.jpg

Spyder14_zpse7e90731.jpg

Some of my experimenting. I used my modelling ideas on the build, gained some experience, which I now use in my modelling! How to get symmetrical ducts on bodywork. Probably standard practice, but the idea just hit me one day! Oddshaped, original duct filled with Bondo. Female mould taken on both sides and one male hole shape made in Mdf. Casting made then Mdf part unscrewed, flipped and used on opposite side and cast again. I used masking tape to define working area. This left a witness mark in the new moulding gelcoat, so all I had to do was cut to the marks. Made it very simple when inserting new moulding in place. Small amount of fibreglassing around the join and heypresto. Just made a lot of work sound very simple! :)

Spyder17_zpsa2143c71.jpg

Spyder6_zps7f329a98.jpg

Same kind of idea for the fuel cap return lip. Hole carved into mdf, then casting made. Casting filed to shape and inserted into bonnet.

SpyderatBrooklands.jpg

Spyder22_zps8cc09f3d.jpg

4950258.Wide2.jpg

Future plans are for a 5 speed box; when I can summon up the energy to tear it down again...lots of (expensive) VW black magic needed for this trick! :)

Edited by vontrips

Thanks very much for posting those photos- great to hear a bit about the build process too! I'd love to be able to build something like that myself, but it's quite a daunting thing to take on...
The finish you have there looks incredible, definitely worth the effort! It's one of those car designs where you can't really pick anything that would make it look better- it's a shame that modern car design has moved so far away from that kind of elegant simplicity, one of the reasons the Elise S1 was special, I think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Thanks very much for posting those photos- great to hear a bit about the build process too! I'd love to be able to build something like that myself, but it's quite a daunting thing to take on...
The finish you have there looks incredible, definitely worth the effort! It's one of those car designs where you can't really pick anything that would make it look better- it's a shame that modern car design has moved so far away from that kind of elegant simplicity, one of the reasons the Elise S1 was special, I think.

I totally agree! Looking to replace my four wheel shed at the moment with something nicer. Can't find anything that takes my fancy...I just know I'll end up with another S1! :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Don't know which parts you're missing. May be it's easy to get around because the 7 at least was a kit car and so any modification is quite common. If a modification is really responsible for better performance is another story, but don't mind in 1/24 it's not so important 

Marco F 

I built a 1/10 scale Locost chassis some years ago, simply following the book. I finished it in Humbrol's Polished Steel, and that was a partial mistake, because only the floor panel and the rearmost side panel are steel, the rest should be aluminium. Another error involves the floor panel. I cut away the paneling below the prop shaft, whereas the book doesn't. Oh well, I won't risk repainting or rebuilding it, I like it like it is ..

locost-07.jpg

locost-08.jpg

More here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/locost.htm

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Considering my obsession with the car it strange that I have only built 1, about 15 years ago, hopefully my modeling skills have improved since.  Although it the first car I painted using an air brush and was proud at the time that I converted it to cycle wings.

p?i=8226639bf0d5171e74895d9c67ffdb83

I also too have all three 1/12 caterhams and the detail set from Replicas of Maryland which includes photoetch to make working bonnet catches!   However my favourite is my 1996 1400 supersport below, photographed on last years holiday to Spain 🇪🇸 

p?i=c1453c4af16a12f1b7f3e2ffe3e6fb39

It only makes 128 bhp, and Torque is also quite modest at 100 lb foot, but it only weighs 520 kg, so it is more than quick enough.  My car also has the 6 speed gearbox (Caterhams on design) which is effectively a 4 speed with 2 extras slipped in so you can always be in the power (5k plus).  The change up light comes in at 7200 and if your not quick enough on the up change the rev limiter comes in 200 rpm later, It not relaxed or refined, but it talks to you and rewards you in away that I have never experienced in any other car.  

• Like 1

Thanks to Rob and Toft for digging-out my ancient thread. Both excellent model builds and Toft gives a great description of his 1:1. That's what they were all about; feather weight and still plenty of low-stress power to thrill.

On 30/12/2015 at 22:23, stevepni said:

Does anyone know if there was a kit of the S4 made?

I have only just joined the forum,  hence the answer almost 4 years late 😅.   Nichimo made one, however it is a fairly crude model designed to be motorised. 

p?i=bd0c5fa4d93ff7c3d673833ced5ac41a

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Cool looking little red 7!

The cycle wing conversion looks great. Can you please show us the mountings of the wings 

Marco F 

Hi Marco,

On the early sevens the front cycle wings did not turn with the wheels.  The top mounting was connected to the front light bracket and the bottom mounting attached straight to the side of the car (presumably to a chassis rail).  As mine was going to be a track car I cut off the lights leaving the part highlighted in yellow, then drilled up the end of this part allowing me to insert a bracket for the wing made of wire.  Hope this helps regards Andy

p?i=32890cbddfa76cb3ee08859f60700fc7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1