Any Lotus 7 fans here?

Codger

He's a resin figure I got from Australia, and in terms of 'jiggery' - what I mean is I smoothed the figures actual face a fair bit, but not flat, (he still has a small nose and eyebrows) and made a waterslide transfer of Pat's face.

Once in place, with a bit of careful paint touching up he looks ok in my cabinet where he's seen mainly from a front angle.

Wow, I thought you just photoshopped his face into the image! The hair reminds me a bit of Draco Malfoy, though...

I keep meaning to get the 1/24 kit, but haven't run across it and haven't made the diligent effort. And yes, it would have to be KAR 120C.

Be seeing you...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Having just come across this thread (and bought the Tamiya 1/24 kit) I'll add my bit if I may...

I put this on Pistonheads a good while ago having asked if a certain S4 is still around:

I grew up in Caterham, born 1960, so got into cars in the early to mid 70's. My best mate's older brother at that time was a mechanic at Caterham Cars when it was at Town End, Caterham, building Lotus 7's from kits among other stuff.

We would spend our school holidays and spare time hanging around the sales office and showroom, surrounded by Lotus 7s, Elans, Europas, Marcos 3 litres etc, all really exciting stuff for us teenage petrolheads! To us these were real exotic cars with things like electric windows, and stereos with balance control so you could switch the sounds from side to side. And the stubby little gear levers in them!

One afternoon the salesman, Peter Mitchell, asked me if I'd ever been over 100mph in a car; when I said no he said 'right, come on then', and took me out in a Lotus 7 S4, along Hayes Lane around Kenley airfield, which was NSL in those days. 100+ no problem! I can still remember the registration plate, it was SRO744J, a red Seven with a matt black noseband.

My mates brother then left (to work for BT of all things!) but was asked back to do evening work assembling a 7 for a customer, so we had the run of the showroom in the evenings while he was working, playing in the cars. There were 3 rows of three cars, and we worked out that by moving them around a bit we had room to push one about in the middle and get a tyre squeal by letting the clutch up when in gear!

It was all very relaxed, even when the boss saw us, he'd just say 'don't press the accelerators lads' but that was it, and left us to it. I think that would have been Graham Nearn, but can't be sure. Great days! H&S would never allow it now.

To my surprise the car SRO744J is still alive, and then over a year later I got this great reply...

Yes I was first owner on a self build only owned it for 18 months then we had a baby and had to get rid for a mini clubman estate. Many regrets.
Saw report in classic car and got in touch with owner who used it for racing. See it was up for sale 2015 at £16950. I bought it for £995.00
That's life
Many regrets

Happy memories of a great car and time in my life!

• Like 2

Some great stories here! I had the pleasure of owning a late S1 Elise for 8 years until she went into a drystone wall backwards and I wrote her off! Lovely car, mainly stock apart from lowered S2 suspension, cat removal, big throttle body etc. The most reliable car I've ever owned (apart from my RSK replica!). The Spyder I still have; they'll bury me in it! :)

5980-car.jpg

Edited by vontrips

I've long been a 7 enthuiast, old enough to remeber the opening sequence on "The Prisoner" & had ambitions to build a "Locost" knock off which started as a therapy project for me when my wife was crook about 12 years ago, long story short, she got better & I got put back in my place, still got the bits in the basement. :( My Locost was going to have to be scaled up everso slightly as at 6' & 200 lbs plus with size 12 feet, I simply don't fit in a Lotus or Caterham 7, I know, I've tried it. :) I also have the Tamiya 1/24 in my stash.

Steve

6'2" - 240lbs - I fit in - but cannot necessarily get out again....... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I have The original Tamiya 1:24 in wip and All three of the Caterhams ( BDR with flaired wings, The Cycle "fender" variant cycle wings fake carbon fiber look to the front, rear wings and nose cone and the fastest car (at the time) from 0-100-0 the JPE Vaxhaull engine)................ oh and this in the garage.549619_275526899188675_972627732_n_zpsxc

• Like 1

All you real Lotus owners... I feel quite lower class with my humble Soobie. What was it that Clarkson said that time? "That is the throb of a flat four turbocharged engine, a sound which all over the world heralds the imminent arrival of a moron." I resemble that remark.

We have several ex-Sooby owners amongst the Elise owners here in Perth.

The owners seem happy to move up to a car where you have to do some of the work, rather than letting a turbo and 4wd do the work for you!

Elises are not that expensive and cost peanuts to run - one advantage of a lightweight car.

The mk1 135 sport was the best drivability wise. But I'd have to have a 340R my favorite Elise variant going. if money was no object and one could be found the GT1 too.

The 135 had the least comfortable seats though (Corbeau). Yes, they were actually worse than the standard ones, and that's saying something! :)

Edited by vontrips

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for kicking this topic but I didn't think opening up a new topic for a short question would be necessary.

I just decided to repaint and rebuild this old cute Tamiya Seven that I built when I was.. 15, I think. Does anyone know if there's any aftermarket grill available with the '7' shape in it?

To be honest I was a bit surprised I couldn't find anything yet, it would be a popular add-on IMO. 

TMI4n39.jpg

LP4LgRk.jpg 

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

5 hours ago, TheFlyingDutchman said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for kicking this topic but I didn't think opening up a new topic for a short question would be necessary.

I just decided to repaint and rebuild this old cute Tamiya Seven that I built when I was.. 15, I think. Does anyone know if there's any aftermarket grill available with the '7' shape in it?

To be honest I was a bit surprised I couldn't find anything yet, it would be a popular add-on IMO. 

TMI4n39.jpg

LP4LgRk.jpg 

Looks sweet! I think brass wire, solder, practice and patience will be your friends for the grill! :)

On 12/29/2015 at 11:01 PM, vontrips said:

Some great stories here! I had the pleasure of owning a late S1 Elise for 8 years until she went into a drystone wall backwards and I wrote her off! Lovely car, mainly stock apart from lowered S2 suspension, cat removal, big throttle body etc. The most reliable car I've ever owned (apart from my RSK replica!). The Spyder I still have; they'll bury me in it! :)

5980-car.jpg

Two of my favourite car designs there! If I had the option to have a replica in the garage it'd be either an RSK or Dehavilland Dino. Would be really interested to know more about that RSK replica

• Like 1