1/48 SAAB J 29 by Pilot Replicas

flarpen

Can someone please advise what markings options are in the kit? I'm looking to build a J29 in UN markings during operations over the Congo and am hoping they are included either in this release or in the forthcoming Austrian boxing.

Hi

This is the wrong version for building an UN marked J 29.

The versions used in Congo was the J 29B and S 29C. I f you want to make a J 29B from this J 29F version you need to removed the sawtooth on the wings and modify the lower aft fuselage as that version did not have the afterburner and thus a different look of the engine cover.

But if you can wait I'm sure that those version will be released as well in due time.

Thanks Flarpen. It's disappointing but hopefully Pilot Replicas will produce the UN version in the near future. I've wanted to build a model with the unusual Congo camouflage ever since buying the Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine which featured the J29.

Thanks Flarpen. It's disappointing but hopefully Pilot Replicas will produce the UN version in the near future. I've wanted to build a model with the unusual Congo camouflage ever since buying the Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine which featured the J29.

This camouflage was used on the S 29C recce version. And this one will be released as Pilot Replicas' third Tunnan. Next to follow is an Austrian J 29F. And it would surprise me a lot if the S 29 release didn't include UN markings.

This camouflage was used on the S 29C recce version. And this one will be released as Pilot Replicas' third Tunnan. Next to follow is an Austrian J 29F. And it would surprise me a lot if the S 29 release didn't include UN markings.

Thanks Bjorn. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for for the S 29 variant in hopes it includes the UN markings.

Many thanks,

Mark

I received mine today, it is fantastic, cannot wait to get it started. Also need to applaud and thank Pilot Replica, as there was a delay to them sending out the pre-order kits, I received some wing tanks and a seated pilot as additional little gifts.................superb.

ALSO they have confirmed via email the the SAAB 105/SK60 is not dead and is still work in progress, which make me ver happy, I still need to get m hands on the J.21 as well.

Ali

• Like 1

Any chance the next Austrian boxing will have the sidewinders? eg the RB-24s?

hmmm don't see a chance there...

wingtanks would be nice, but Austria did not operate these missiles!

they maybe used 8/16 unguided missiles ond the guns of course

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A reboxing from the original kit with Austrian AF decals - ref. 48-A-003

No nose recce panels incl.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=759570167506974&id=390440134419981

Released: http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/pls48003.htm

Our great serie of proper designed and manufactured 1/48 scale replicas of SAAB 29 Flying Barrel continues, now with the Austrian J 29F. The only injection molded proper designed 1/48 scale J29 kit...When only the highest quality will do....

Click on this link for your order. Also, please see our new cool accessories for the Tunnan.

http://pilot-replicas.com/product/saab-j29-f-austrian-fliegende-tonne/

and, Dont forget to ask your local retailer for our products.

Happy Easter !!!

992810_759565974174060_17262488025832379

12919808_759566974173960_395764762555576

940835_759567794173878_60926125449431307

944656_759567880840536_68634358256747162

12885945_759567910840533_779928718243871

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...

got my Austrian version this week directly fróm Pilot Replicas, fast delivery :) :)

I am really impressed with part quality, looking forward to building her!

I also ordered the pitots (not sure yet if they differ from Master Model ones ore not)) and wing tanks! quite steep in price, but they come with nice decals as well :)

IMG_6333_1__zpsxvxvyiq4.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sure that's Pilot Replicas' official motto. :(

not sure about that....

quality seems right and these are definitely not mainstream kits! no F-16 or Bf-109.....

guess their break even is to be reached with fewer kits than, lets say "cheap" Hasegawa .... only Revell produces "affordable" kits these days imho!

I agree that the quality is high, and the current kits are a little niche, but even then I thought they were expensive, especially for " advance order" sales.Assuming the quality is up to the current releases I would hope the Vampire and Venom prices would be a little lower to reflect the likelyvolume sales for these two. I would also hope they include at least the basic fuel tanks in the box. If not, then Alley Cat may well get my money for another Vampire.

I really want the Tunnan and the Vamp/Venoms. But I think they are a mite overpriced for what you get.:(

I must also say I am slightly disappointed that no ordinance is included, but that they have to be purchased separately aka hasegawa. That really bugs me.

Edited by Mike Esposito
  • Like 2

Pilot Replicas is a small company run by two guys who works with this on evenings and spare time. Small series gives a higher price since a swedish plane dont sell like a Spitfire Mk.Mcxiv or a Messerschmitt 109. And if you campare their J29F with Hobby Boss, it's almost cheaper since you at least have to buy new decals for the Hobby Boss kit. Yes it is expensive but it's a wonderful kit with surface detail and fit of parts equal to a kit from Tamiya, that's really nice!

• Like 6

I stand between Mike and Pekka on this, I suspect many others do as well.

The fact is that Pilot Replicas are offering something well off the mainstream, to a very high standard and having to balance the price carefully. If you want to do something different it is always more costly than following the crowd. Was ever thus.

A Vampire could be a break through kit for the range as it has very wide appeal, get it right and it should be a good enough seller to put the whole affair on much better financial ground.

• Like 4

The J29 & the J21 are both lovely kits, having built the J21, and with Tunnan on the to do pile.

Cost wise they are pricey - but as others have said - they are pretty niche subjects- and so far in the J29 Arena you have Hobbyboss's excrescence at a lower price, or the old NeOmega resin kit which was quite pricey in its day too, and while nice, not on a par with the PR one.

I suspect that if Tamiya ever tooled a J29 it wouldn't be far off this price, and given their latest F-14 release might also come without weapons etc etc ( that's a joke BTW chaps) :)

I suspect the Vampires & Venoms will sell very well, and hopefully they will do a longer run in expectation of this - which might bring the cost down.

Jonners

• Like 4

• 1 year later...