1/48 SAAB J 29 by Pilot Replicas

flarpen

• 3 weeks later...

At the upcoming event C4-Open in Malmö this weekend we will hopefully get a chance to see it live.

C4-Open: Press-stop!!
We have got news from Pilot Replicas about their new release of the SAAB J 29 ”Flying Barrel”. It’s very likely we’ll have the oportunity to have a look at test shots of the new kit at the
C4-Open!
Hoping for the best… (… and prepare for the worst and be happy with what we get! :) )
Tor & the "C4-gang"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/C4Open?fref=nf

Edited by flarpen

Wow!!! Around GBP 47 plus P&P. :yikes:

Still want one, though.

Yeesh! The Airfix Shack is £35. The AMK Foxhound is $55. The Modelsvit Blinder is under $60.

£47 for a 1/48 flying barrel is... steep. If it's an amazing kit, I can see it; I just hope it doesn't suffer from the same kind of dunder-headed errors that mar the Tarangus Viggen. Still bugs me that not only is it a pricey kit, but you've got to pay as much again for all the resin corrections the manufacturers themselves have released to fix the problems with their own kit. :(

• Like 1

Having seen this live, and also having got a closer look at the sprues, I can tell you all that this one is absolutely brilliant! Shape is spot on, surface detail and other detailing is excellent, decals are fantastic and fit seems to be great too. Due to some minor moulding problems, release is delayed a couple of weeks, but it will probably be released in november.

And here is some more news: An Austrian version with the recce nose and a Swedish recce version S 29C will also be released.

• Like 4

Having seen this live, and also having got a closer look at the sprues, I can tell you all that this one is absolutely brilliant! Shape is spot on, surface detail and other detailing is excellent, decals are fantastic and fit seems to be great too. Due to some minor moulding problems, release is delayed a couple of weeks, but it will probably be released in november.

And here is some more news: An Austrian version with the recce nose and a Swedish recce version S 29C will also be released.

we, at least me can wait another month after waiting for so long!

delighted to hear about the recce variants too!

• Like 1

More info about Pilot Replicas Tunnan: The split-up of the model (the body halves are split up in the middle) makes it possible för Pilot Replicas to make a J 29A/B and E. So in the future, I guess that a Tunnan in UN markings also will be released.

Hmm... is it just me, or do those Swedish roundels look kind of weird? I've got the HobbyBoss kit, and the roundels look completely different. I guess Pilot Replicas must have botched them.

• Like 3

I think they are stuck to an unpainted un glossed assembled kit. Even on their limited record do far, I would trust Pilot Replicas roundels much more than any by Hobby Boss.

Hmm... is it just me, or do those Swedish roundels look kind of weird? I've got the HobbyBoss kit, and the roundels look completely different. I guess Pilot Replicas must have botched them.

HobbyBoss version of the Swedish roundels is a joke, Pilot Replicas have got them completely right (I have seen the decal sheet, it is spot on). This is how Swedish roundels look:

640px-Saab_J-29F_Tunnan_29670_R_%28SE-DX

...and this is HobbyBoss version:

21902892764_88f19d33f5_c.jpg

The rest of the Swedish decals on the HB sheet are also completely rubbish, for instance; SwAF did NOT use Comic sans for the letters. The Austrian ones are slightly better, but all stencils are crap. The right place for those decals are not the model, but the dustbin. (By the way, the model is not in 1/48, but in 1/52, see the thread about it).

Edited by Bjorn