Vietnam GB Chat - *** GB Finished. ***

AnonymousDFB1

Welcome everyone to the Vietnam GB 2015.

A massive thank you to Mish for her continued efforts in everything Group Build related. Without her efforts behind the scenes none of this would be possible.

War dominated 30 years of Vietnam's history last century. The struggle that began with communists fighting French colonial power in the 1940s did not end until they seized Saigon and control of the whole country in 1975.

The period that Americans refer to as the "Vietnam War" – and the Vietnamese call the "American War" – was the US military intervention from 1965 to 1973.

Communist forces based in the north and led by the nationalist leader Ho Chi Minh defeated the French in 1954.

Accords were negotiated that split the country into communist north and pro-American south, divided by a demilitarised zone (DMZ).

Country-wide elections to decide a permanent solution were promised but never happened, and within five years the communists had launched a guerrilla war on the south.

Hundreds of thousands of US soldiers were sent to help fight the communists in a costly and ultimately unsuccessful war.

This GB will cover any subject land, sea or air from any side throughout the entire theater of conflict.

If it was in action during the First Indochina War (1946 - 1954) its in.

If it was kicking butt in the Second Indochina War aka The Vietnam War (1955 - 1975) its in.

All general GB rules will apply.

Now lets all get on discussing what we plan to build etc..

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Hi snapper, congratulations on getting this GB up and running. Just confirming that I will be up for this, not sure what yet. Some sort of aircraft, and who knows maybe an armoured vehicle or a Pibber if I can find one.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Having suggested it earlier, Mark seemed to like the idea of me building the 1:35 AFV Club LVTP.5 for which I also have full resin interior, riders and sandbags, so will probably go with this. Although I've also got the Aussie Centurion from AFV Club that's been crying out to be built for some time.

• Like 1

Welcome guys. The countdown has begun. Still quite a way off but plenty of time to decide what we want to build.

Personally the stash has a few options available. AC-119, F-4 Phantom, M113, Mig-21PFM, M101A1 Artillery piece, M-42 Duster, M-35 Guntruck, O-1 Bird Dog, M-48A3 Mod. B.

At the moment I think I'm swinging more towards a wingy thing. My number one choice right now would be USS New Jersey 1968 set up in 1:350th. That would be a mission as no one makes it as far as I know.

I'm sure more subjects will find their way into the frame by the time September comes round.

Edited by snapper_city

Well I won't be short of a few options...in my stash are:

All 1/48...F-4's (6), F-105's (3), F-100 (1), A-4 (2), A-7 (3), RA-5 (1), A-6 (1), F-8 (1), A-37 (1), B-57 (1), UH-1 (1), MiG-21 (1), T-28D (1), OV-10 (1)

All 1/72 B-52 (1), B-66 (1),

All 1/35 M551 Sheridan (1) M50 Ontos (1)

• Like 1

Good morning

My choice will be even more difficult if we begin with the First Indochina War (1946 - 1954)

In my stash I have : Spit , Mosquito , Kingcobra , Corsair , Hellcat , Bearcat , Helldiver , Dauntless , Beaver , C47 , C119 ...

And of course for the The Vietnam War (1955 - 1975) Skyraider , F 100 D , F 104 , F 105 , F 111 , F4 / RF4 , F 8 etc ...

Who said I can open a modelstore ? .

• Like 2

I really like that this GB will include the first indochina war too. I'm quite tempted to join up. I was having a wee google search last night of French aircraft used in this conflict. If I was able to get my hands on a special hobby Hiller UH-12 I would love to try and build a French Hiller like this

French Hiller

But doubtful. Still plenty of other options to choose.

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 1

I really like that this GB will include the first indochina war too. I'm quite tempted to join up. I was having a wee google search last night of French aircraft used in this conflict. If I was able to get my hands on a special hobby Hiller UH-12 I would love to try and build a French Hiller like this

French Hiller

But doubtful. Still plenty of other options to choose.

Superb choice milktrip. I didn't know anyone ever made a kit of these. I want one.. :hobbyhorse:

1/100 scale Tamiya F105 Thunderchief for me.

And possibly a Phantom if there is still time.....

Good choice Bonhoff. You don't see many of these odd scale Tamiya built. Weirdly I have never built a Thud before.

My current choice for this GB would be the Dragon M48A3 and it will also be interesting to compare this with the Tamiya M48A3 already completed.

Cool. They seem to build up nicely. I'm watching a couple of WIP's on another site at the moment. Only a 2-3 weeks ago I picked one up myself. It could even get built for the GB.

• Like 1

I'm in with a 1/144 Academy F-4E Phantom II. 67-0287 "Positive Thinker" and Revell's HH-53C.

Good good. I remember building the Revell 1:144th F-4E in my teens. I was even eyeing one up a couple of weeks back in LSA models.

You can't go wrong with a Jolly Green either. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Mark,

I think Special hobby are the only manufacturer that have released a Hiller UH-12, I've had a search but I think they are long gone, not even ebay. I don't really know much about the French helo but looking at the pics and comparing it to the special hobby kit reviews it would require a bit of additional work; new canopy, I think, different under carriage, stretchers an the inclusion of the handle bar controls!! If you didn't notice have another look at the photos in that link, there are no cyclic sticks. instead there is a roof mounted handle bar that connects directly to the MRH!? Flying a modified Raleigh Burner in the Mekong Delta...

I'm going to keep searching for this kit as it does look very interesting.

Cheers

Aaron

Well, september is far away enough to make a décision.

AFAIC, it will most probably be a 1/72 jet/wolfpak decals mix of some sorts.

A-4 or A-7, F-4 or F-105, nothing really special, but I like them

Even a VF-1 Tomcat will be considered.

• Like 1