AFV Club Scimitar - advice sought

Col.

So, after walking past this kit in my local model shop on several occasions, I've finally yielded to temptation and bought my first armour kit. Having been fortunate enough to have driven them a couple times during the early 90s (Who, me Sir? No Sir. It was like this when we found it Sir.) it seemed justifiable from a personal perspective.

May I ask the assembled masses of you talented armour modellers about this kit? What, for instance, is the general consensus about how accurately this kit recreates an early to mid-90s British Army machine. How easy will this go together and is there any pit-falls to be wary of? What, if any, aftermarket is there available and can it be recommended?

Please excuse the burst of questions but the usual hunt on Google and rummage around Hannants didn't tell me much.

It's a nice kit tbh, the tracks really need to be replaced as the kit tracks are not good at all.

AM wise, Edward make a PE set which will add to it further, castoff make a mid to late set which give you the extra stowage, and fruil make two sets of tracks, early and mid which I highly recommend. I think RBM make a barrel but you don't really need it as you get a nice ally one in the kit. Accurate Amour make Resin tracks but I have found them difficult to use, link and length jobbies

So I'd replace the tracks as a minimum and possibly the PE set which should give you a good late early CVRT or add th Castoff set for a Mid to late, if that makes sense?

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Cheers Dan :thumbsup: Must admit I was suspicious of the vinyl (?) tracks. They don't seem to capture the weight of the real items as I remember them and looked a nightmare to paint. Will go with the tracks and PE set for a late early tub.

• Like 1

Fruilmodel tracks are superb, I've so far built 3 CRV(T)s and never used the kit supplied tracks, always used Fruilmodel. The kit tracks are a little too short and end up too tight.

The Scimitar kit is pretty good to represent a mid-90s version, before the Jag engine was replaced with the diesel and the top deck was redesigned.

The Eduard PE set is pretty good and adds some nice detail. Accurate Armour and Black Dog do some nice resin crew figures and AA also do some ammo boxes that work well for extra storage that was frequently added around the skirt and on the turret, often by REME engineers for a crate of beer :)

Edit: I forgot, Castoff do some great accessories and upgrades as well: http://www.castoff-models.co.uk/

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link and advice Kallisti. Dare say a few of those extra beer, er I mean, 'ammo' storage boxes will help recreate a frequently told tale and a few figures will lend scale to the model. Hmm, wonder if there's a few 35th scale squaddie figures out there? Or beer crates/bottles? So much for this being a simple out-of-the-box introduction to armour modelling :lol:

For that sort of thing Accurate Armour is where you need to go - they have beer cans, snack packets, squaddies and water bottles for the really desperate! :)

So beer and snacks are available. Add some 'reading matter' and it's begining to sound like a typical day in REME workshops ;)

• Like 1