GB Chat

How about that B-52 as the RAF B-52K Rick? ;)

I like that idea. I've been thinking about it whilst I've been at work today and came up with the following scenario :

With the departure of the USAF from RAF Mildenhall and the takeover by the RAF in 2015, the RAF needed a new aircraft to base there. The RAF was looking for a way back into the nuclear deterrant business, so It decided upon a variant of the B-52 Stratofortress equipped with new engines (4 instead of 8), equipped to carry all weapons in UK/US arsenal including HARM missiles for defense suppression, jamming pods, laser designation pods etc.

Because the RAF were adopting this new aircraft into service, they needed to decide on a colour scheme and a new name for the aircraft.

Anyway thats the scenario, I have no idea what colour scheme or name to give the aircraft (if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest them).

Or a B-52 in Raspberry Ripple scheme....mmmm

A Raspberry Ripple scheme ? I didn't know planes came in Ice Cream.....I suppose it could be the B-52 Ice model and have the ice cream van jingle :evil_laugh:

• Like 3

Hi all, I would like to join this GB, I am thinking maybe.... What if Me-262 had been the world first passenger jet airplane ? With seat for 8 passengers ? or something else :)

Image11.jpg

Wasn't there a passenger version of the Vampire with 4 seats?

I like the idea of a USN Shackleton in Blue or LGG/White.

Because the RAF were adopting this new aircraft into service, they needed to decide on a colour scheme and a new name for the aircraft.

Boeing Birnam B.1? Uses a UK town name (Scottish, to curry favour) as is traditional with bombers.

I like that idea. I've been thinking about it whilst I've been at work today and came up with the following scenario :

With the departure of the USAF from RAF Mildenhall and the takeover by the RAF in 2015, the RAF needed a new aircraft to base there. The RAF was looking for a way back into the nuclear deterrant business, so It decided upon a variant of the B-52 Stratofortress equipped with new engines (4 instead of 8), equipped to carry all weapons in UK/US arsenal including HARM missiles for defense suppression, jamming pods, laser designation pods etc.

Anyway thats the scenario, I have no idea what colour scheme or name to give the aircraft (if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest them).

So four big Rolls Royce engines and some RAF markings? Dare say the overall grey scheme is your most likely colour.

I like the idea of a USN Shackleton in Blue or LGG/White.

A USN Shackleton in overall gloss blue sounds rather cool.

Plus the missus takes all the parcels in as she is at home when the postman comes.

A work colleague sends all his parcels to me! :D Okay, they are records rather than kits, but the principle is valid... :wicked:

• Like 1

Wasn't there a passenger version of the Vampire with 4 seats.

Someone in the 80's got as far as a mock up of a nine seater called something like 'Mystery Jet'. Wings, tail and engine were reused but with a totally new fuselage. T'internet is silent about it, but I recall seeing a photo.

Trevor

Someone in the 80's got as far as a mock up of a nine seater called something like 'Mystery Jet'. Wings, tail and engine were reused but with a totally new fuselage. T'internet is silent about it, but I recall seeing a photo.

Trevor

I did some Googling this afternoon, and found this small nugget of information.

<* After the service life of the Vampire, in the late 1960s an American firm, Jet Craft of Las Vegas, Nevada, came up with schemes for modernizing surplus T.11s, the most intriguing being a six-seat business jet configuration named the "Mystery Jet II", with a new forward fuselage and a Rolls-Royce Viper turbojet replacing the Goblin. It was something of a fun idea, but Jet Craft then went broke, with the company's boss ending up doing a year in jail on criminal contempt charges, and the Mystery Jet II never flew. Apparently Jet Craft was resurrected for a time in the late 1980s and proposed concepts much along the same lines as before, but by that time the whole idea was a complete nonstarter.>

From here: http://www.airvectors.net/avvamp_1.html#m6appropriately as an addendum to the section of the 2 seat Vampires.

And having found out a smidgin of information, I found a photo here: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Jetcraft-Mystery-Jet/0196893/L/

And there's an article, here: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/444/Vampires-of-Las-Vegas.aspx

Glad to be of service. ;)

EDIT: Incidentally, having read the whole article now, there's a really, really, REALLY mind-blowing what-if at the end of it... food for thought for the terminally insane. :D

Edited by Rob G
  • Like 4

Definitely in with an RAF B-52 bomber.

Does anyone know where I can get some aftermarket engines i.e. A380 engines or 747 engines, weapons (nuke cruise missiles plus conventional weapons - anti ship missiles, anti radiation missiles, gravity bombs, guided bombs - JDAM, Pave way plus other RAF weapons) ?

Rick

• Like 1

Definitely in with an RAF B-52 bomber.

Does anyone know where I can get some aftermarket engines i.e. A380 engines or 747 engines, weapons (nuke cruise missiles plus conventional weapons - anti ship missiles, anti radiation missiles, gravity bombs, guided bombs - JDAM, Pave way plus other RAF weapons) ?

Rick

Got just what you need, Rick...when I built my Revell 747 it came as the Lufthansa boxing with the P&W engines, so I got some resin RB211s for my British Airways build. The Revell P&W engines are still on their sprue if you want them?

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 1

Got just what you need, Rick...when I built my Revell 747 it came as the Lufthansa boxing with the P&W engines, so I got some resin RB211s for my British Airways build. The Revell P&W engines are still on their sprue if you want them?

Cheers,

Dean

Thats great Dean,

Do they have attachment pylons for the wings or is it just the engines ?

Will PM you.

Cheers,

Rick

The pylons are moulded to the engines, Rick...it's all there.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Tried to PM you, but it said you can't receive any messages.

What scale are the engines in ? I meant to ask because that will influence what size kit and weapons I search for.

Rick

Hi Rick, sorry my inbox was full and I hadn't realised. Should be ok now...

The engines are 1/144 - I assumed that'd be the scale you'd be working in, somehow. Revell do a very nice B-52H which I built some years ago.

Cheers,

Dean