Log Cabin

ShipbuilderMN

I really don't know what section this should go in! I have never done anything like this before, but recently decided to build a log cabin such as used in the Alaska Gold Rush of 1898. Here are the assembled walls, waiting for the floor and roof. I have made a pot belly stove to go inside, fitted with a flickering red LED. Also a Winchester rifle, woodsman's axe and oil lamp with a yellow LED inside it. The back is absent, so that from the front, it will present a snow-covered cabin, whilst in the back it will appear as a warm, cosy refuge from the Alaskan winter.

I am learning as I go along. Scale two feet to one inch!

Bob

Cabin_ready_for_floor_and_roof.jpg

• Like 7

Yes, it is mainly wood. The logs are 6mm dowels, but I felt they looked too smooth. So I added the bark in the form of silver crepe paper glued round them with white wood glue. When the walls were assembled, I painted them with burnt umber acrylic paint, allowing bits of silver to show through. This gave a very realistic appearance of rough cut logs. At the moment, I am having the greatest of difficulty making my computer work. It has been defragmenting since 0730 this morning and is behaving very eratically.

Bob

I did think about that, but there is a surprising length of dowel in it, and I don't have that sort of patience, especially in the weather we are getting at the moment :chillpill: The crepe paper probably makes for a better scale bark as well.

Bob

I have made more progress with the inside of the cabin. Just noticed that I need to put the door hinges on! :banghead:

The door looks like it wouldn't open fully because of the bunks, but that is just an opitical illusion, there is plenty of room

Bob

With_bunks_2_Large.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic work so far; what have you used for the floorboards?

I've been intending to have a go at creating rustic buildings for a long time, with a small mediaeval cruck-built longhouse being the eventual aim, but haven't yet got round to it - you know how it is. (Phase of life, and all that.) I'll be watching progress to pick up some tips and inspiration, and if it's a fraction as good as your ships when it's finished, it will be superb!

Jon

Thanks, as this is my first attempt at a building of any kind, I am just making it up as I go along, but using Alaska images obtained from the Internet. The floor is a sheet of standard three ply, planked with and unknown veneer stuck down with white wood glue. I then painted it with picture varnish to darken it a bit. I have now made a 12-spoke wagon wheel to prop up on the front of the cabin. I have fitted the roof, but it will all be covered up with a thick fall of snow.

Bob

• Like 1

Here is the wheel. Looks a bit rough, but after a bit of paint has been added, and the snow, it should look OK. The rim was cut from thin obeche sheet and the spokes are cocktail sticks. Don't know why my fingers have come out purple, must be the poor lighting!

Bob

Wagon_wheel_2_Large.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That must all come from His Majesties' Sloop 'Das Beaver'!

Here is the wheel. Looks a bit rough, but after a bit of paint has been added, and the snow, it should look OK. The rim was cut from thin obeche sheet and the spokes are cocktail sticks. Don't know why my fingers have come out purple, must be the poor lighting!

Bob

Wagon_wheel_2_Large.jpg

I Knew It! It's a wheel house....but I still don't know which ship!!! :winkgrin: