Xmas No-So-Quickie-Anymore Hobbyboss Do335 OOB-ish

azureglo

Encouraged by the kind words for my first WIP, I'm back for more: I grabbed this off the top of the stash,

dragon1.jpg

dragon2.jpg

After opening the box and laughing hysterically for 10 minutes at the million microscopic parts I put it back and got this instead:

box.jpg

sprues.jpg

main.jpg

Much better.
There isn’t much to the main airframe but the UC is very impressive and far from
it’s easy build roots. Look at the detail on the hubs and UC legs :

wheels.jpg

Just going to add some detail to the front UC bay as it’s a wee bit bare, some nice clear tip lights as well.
Decided to make it an Eismeer whiffer as they seemed fond of odd camos when in Nordic climes.
I borrowed the scheme from my AZ Gotha P60 and photoshopped a guide:

CompWeb.jpg
Paint will be the supposedly horrible new Humbrol RLM enamels as I’m feeling lucky, well am I punk? OK, I got these cheap at

LSA's closing down sale and thought hey why not? There is an RLM 76 somewhere but I have a couple carrier bags of etch and resin to sort,

that its nestling down in , cowering from what I intend to do to it with Rustins driers and car shop cellulose thinners.

humbrlm.jpg

Oops forget to add this before posting:

The informed will know that HB have mangled the propblades so they defy any known aeronautical laws: After careful consideration I decided
that this is just a little plastic model and it isn’t going on any combat missions.
It’ll be fine unless it meets a rivet counter but thankfully, I fall asleep after
the third word when they start pontificating about Shturm und Drang propellor logos and the length of handle for late model 109g flush toilet cisterns.

I have also acquired these little vinyl masks to ease the pain of the panes in the canopy. Never heard of Pmask but they look identical to Montex masks.

pmask.jpg

More will follow unless the Xmas cheer and soda renders me incoherent.

Cheers

Anil

• Like 8

My Mojo is running tonite baby, got this done in the last few hours:
Added some detail to the nose gear bay using rod and these funky HGW rivets, these are uttery brilliant.

nosebay.jpg

freelines.jpg

Nowt in cockpit beyond a seat and panel, so I’m treating it to a gunsight and some belts for Hauptman Heimlich to hang onto during his tree top skirmishes.

pit.jpg

The paint is cheap primer bought for £1 as a test and it perfectly matches my Xtracolor RLM 66. The modelling gods are smiling at me tonite.

poundprimer.jpg

Stuff dries in 30 minutes and is tougher than my mom’s meatloaf, dragging a fingernail or scalpel across it doesn’t even leave a mark.

Also added the wingtip light clear blanks and milliputed 10g of nose weight as well,so it’s a well earned
homemade Keema curry and paratha washed down with Estrella for yours truly

Good Gravy to you all, each and every one.

Anil the Motivated

• Like 3

First off, to prove I am a man of my word, my earned curry from last night. You can trust a man who's honest about what he eats (and drinks).

keema.jpg

Back to the model, everything zipped up with a dab of perfect putty wiped away with IPA to lessen the seam:

closedup.jpg

Panel with decal and Tam 109 sight:

panel.jpg

Seat and belts: Yes I know it had an ejector seat thingy and these would be the end of Hptm. Heimlich should he have to leave this brute but they'll do to add a bit of interest to the pit

pit.jpg

I make these using prepainted tape that's has Radu Brinzan's rivetter tool run over them and these cute little airmodel buckles, cheap and good enough thru a closed canopy:

buckles.jpg

Shaped and polished the tip lights:

porttip.jpg

stbdtip.jpg

I painted the wing recess black to suggest an empty space like this T11 in our museum:

t11stbd.jpg

That's all the modelling done for this week as the canopy future has to dry along with the gator glue dabs in the pit, Now its time to caramelise some shallots and flambé them
in brandy for the peppercorn sauce, for tonite is steak night at Kumar Towers and if this lapsed Hindu don't get his sacred cow, he ain't no happy pappy.

Peace be upon your nuptials and naiads and thank you for tuning into Channel Kumar.

Anil

• Like 9

Uh oh, maybe you and Nigel should get together and compare recipes. It looks like your culinary concoctions may rival his. I like your work so far and your attitude. Sometimes you just want a quick, fun and easy build and don't really care about the accuracy, corrections and the like. Can't wait to see your camo scheme on the kit.

• Like 1

Despite my OOB intentions found these two omissions from HB styrene:

landingref.jpg

tailref.jpg

And HB's take on them:

landing1.jpg

tail1.jpg

The tail light I could do without but that landing light is too big and too ugly to miss. A few minutes with some files, metalcote and various shades of BMF:

landing2.jpg

tail2.jpg

Not perfect but will be OK under distorting clear plastic: some perspex rod has been clear cynao-ed in place and tomorrow, will be duly shaped and polished a la landing lights.

Till then mes braves,

Anil

• Like 4

I'm enjoying this build. Still trying to reduce the shelf of doom. Almost through with a Hasegawa P-47. I like your lights, very nice. I noticed the vents below the tail light. Do those come with the kit or will more scratching be necessary?

I'm enjoying this build. Still trying to reduce the shelf of doom. Almost through with a Hasegawa P-47. I like your lights, very nice. I noticed the vents below the tail light. Do those come with the kit or will more scratching be necessary?

I'm not going to bother with the vents, they're radiator exhausts. To do it right I'd have to thin down the fuselage and then construct doors etc...I have a couple more of these on order to mangle for the What if III build and may tackle it for one of those.

Here's an interesting snippet re the "wrong propellers": A contact at NASM (there's a sort of Aviation Museum secret brotherhood where we trade bits and pieces ) told me that their 335 (i.e. the only one in the world) has fully reversible pitch propellers front and rear. When they got it back from Germany last they noticed that some of maintenance crew had reversed individual blades as the linkages to synchronise them have been long disconnected, maybe that what they looked like when HB took their refs?

Anyhoo, tomorrow is another day but most of it is going to spend trying to find the hydraulic fluid leak in our static Spit 24 so little Pfeil may have to wait till the verdamnt Englander has been attended to.

Anil

Gotta love that poundland primer.

It's my usual go to primer if I can't be bothered to get the airbrush out.

Shame the cans don't seem to last very long.

Keep up the good work.

Hey P, at £1.00 a pop they seem to hold at least 1/2 as much as Halfords can at £7.50 so the maths is still good: I've decanted some to use a brush touch up and am curious to see what thins it, cellulose looms large on the tin. It's so much easier for pits that hooking up the airbrush and blasting away with Alclad primer then 1/2 hour of stripping and cleaning, dropping the nozzle etc.

Have fun and am watching your semi scratch build(s) with envy....Little tip for etch pick up, look at pic of the buckles: One cocktail stick with Humbrol maskol (any liquid mask will do) that you roll over sellotape to restore stickiness, a fraction of the cost the of micro stix and works way better. When they die, peel of the Maskol and start again, save them cocktail sticks!

Anil

A

Hello Anil,

Darn, that curry and naan is making ME salivate ‼️{or is it home made 'Roti'}!

And I absolutely admire your approach to this WONDROUS build.. Refreshing to see that you are doing your own pleasurable THANG!!!

you ROCK. :thumbsup: But your build ROCKS better !! :yahoo:

A whole day gone trying to determine and fix this : so very little time for my little quickie Pfeil

leak.jpg

After a quick Philly cheesesteak, I applied the Pmask vinyl masks and laid on a coat of future to seal:

pmask.jpg

Some panels worked better than others but these are much easier to "weed" and handle than Eduard kabuki masks. Easier than than BMF and scalpel?
Well it took less than 15minutes to do this and I reckon the BMF method would have been at least an hour and no canopies were harmed during this build...

Masked off the wing and tail lights (tam tape and Waldron punch) too:

tailmask.jpg

Not a great evening of modelling but am feeling a bit down after watching the news about what happened in Peshawar today so after a bit of silliness, I'm calling it a night.

May all of you sleep safely and peacefully tonight

Anil

Hello Anil,

Darn, that curry and naan is making ME salivate ‼️{or is it home made 'Roti'}!

And I absolutely admire your approach to this WONDROUS build.. Refreshing to see that you are doing your own pleasurable THANG!!!

you ROCK. :thumbsup: But your build ROCKS better !! :yahoo:

Is a paratha, Houston!

Hey Hauptman Heimlich, the Big H sez I rock , what do you think?

rockink.jpg

• Like 6

Anil,

Take a look at hyperscale.com today.

Some good Q & A on 335 underside colours.

Nice pics of the 2 seater (FE112)

Pete

Cheers Pete

As this is a whiffer, its getting the new Humbrol RLM 76/81/83 and white/gelb 04. I'll save the accurate refs for the Dragon next year, interestingly enough my contact at at the NASM told me that they have original paint chips of 102 removed before it was "restored", I'll give this Mk1 eyeball in the new year when we visit them. Also told me that when they sanded off the black on the hubs way back when it was a greeny grey colour (RLM 02) underneath so that's what whiffer is getting

humbrlm.jpg

Dunno about the 2 seater, it looks distinctly off to my sensitive eye...

Anil

• Like 1

The joys of priming: All polished, degreased and looking otherworldly in a coat of Alclad white primer.

primed.jpg

Had to micromesh a few grainy spots, more through habit than need. That front annular radiator is going be fun to mask. Tomorrow is pre-shade and then RLM 76, may yet see this done before
Xmas..so I though a wee reward was in order:

reward.jpg

As Hauptmann Heimlich says

" Und its gut nacht from him."

• Like 2

Great read, you are whetting my modeling apetite along with my actual apetite! Roti with marjoram beef WiP at the moment. Don't laugh directly at the models dude, the plastic will shrink back when you clip pieces off the sprue!

Jokes aside this is really interesting and a fresh flavour on the forums.

• Like 1

There is an old Jewish proverb: "How do you make god laugh"? "Tell him your plans". Old beardy sandal boy must be howling on his fave cloud right now as the Humbrol 247/RLM 76 did something distinctly unexpected. The tailpanes and doors came out beautifully, thinned with auto body shop cellulose thinners:

tailplane.jpg

The "grainness" is down to the ringflash/macro lens as it looks super smooth and matt at 1:1. So mixing a fresh batch of thinned paint I did the same light pass and then second coat after 30 mins as I did for the tail planes et and got this:

artex.jpg

This stuff actually needs a solid hour with 1200/2000 before you can even think of the micromesh. I see many hours restoring this and digging this glop out of the panel lines. I think that the paint is fine but the distance to model & thinner ratio is bit sensitive compared to most other paints I've used. Its also very, very thick and viscous. I could barely suck some up into the 2 ml disposable pipettes I use. Interesting stuff and it does work very well, even letting one control the pre-shade if you are careful with thinning. This is definitely user error.

So my quickie build I think will be not so quick as I don't see any paint going on before Xmas. That said just to reassure myself I can use my airbrush properly, I knocked up this Pegasus V2 in about an hour and used my beloved MrColor paints to test out a possible alternative scheme to Hptm Heimlich's Nordic Nemesis:

full.jpg

base.jpg

This took less than 1.5 days from Saturday morning. I could mask between colours after 90 mins of drying (bog standard Tam tape) and again using auto body shop thinners. In fact the longest part of the painting was waiting for the Future to dry so I could oil wash the base. Now you know why I love these MrColor lacquers so much, when I can get my grubby paws on 'em (yes I know Bob Brown at MDC is now stocking them).

Well folks, I'm pretty much done modelling till next week as Xmas beckons with its festive dead animal feasting and excessive lemonade consumption: May I wish all who tuned in to a Merry Christmas/Whatever holiday-you-celebrate.

Mazeltov!

Anil

• Like 4

Commiserations on the paint disaster.

Congratulations on the V2 colour scheme.

(Would look great with Captain America style octopus markings)

Compliments of the season and may your scales be kind to you.

Commiserations on the paint disaster.

Congratulations on the V2 colour scheme.

(Would look great with Captain America style octopus markings)

Compliments of the season and may your scales be kind to you.

Thank you Pete, by the way is your owl real?...(Cue Vangelis soundtrack)