1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-31 & MiG-31B/BM/M "Foxhound" by Hobby Boss - released - new MiG-31BM with KH-47M2 released

Homebee

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh no! Why did they do that with the wheels? Some guys never learn :-(

It does look very good, though it has to swim is veeeery deep waters!!!

Edited by DIO

Based on the sprue photos above here are few comments:

The inside of the air intakes on AMK are nice but it is all so deep inside the intake as to have little or no effect on the overall kit. The only area where the corrugated surface could be of interest is the undercarriage bays. We dont see them here with HB, so who knows what they look like.

The rubber tires is a definite NO NO for me on Hobby Boss! It would be fairly easy to replace them with say the Brassin examples from Eduard. The rubber thing is a toyish idea from the manufacturer and lets just hope that with time they will give up on it.

In comparison with AMK they seem to got the shape of the brake parachute housing right, just as the gun cover which is a far more complex shape then the AMK version.

HB got the small bumps on the top tail section but in real life there are only three of them (one each near the fins and one in the center). There is only one on the side of the central spine, HB made two. It is still easier to sand one down then to start scratch building them all from zero as on AMK kit.

HB has the right cockpit floor cross section.

HB is giving the early engine exhaust (well this is what it looks like based on the above photos)

The RWR antennas on wing tip look to be in the right place, at least the after one. On AMK you need to change the position.

Nose gear mud guard looks to be good and has the ribs on its side unlike the plain AMK version.

Need to see the shape of the R-33 missile launch bays and the area behind them, but hope they made a better business of it.

Dear HB, why oh why put the long flat, horizontal antenna on the inner side of the vertical fin????????? At least on one side. Well you can simply sand it off. OK, AMK forgot to add the rivets on one side for the fin tip antenna. So it is HB v. AMK 1 : 1.

It has been said by many that since there is already a kit of the MiG-31 available, there is no reason for the Hobby Boss kit. Well since HB is doing parts which are not there on the AMK kit and so an early version is possible from the HB kit. Since AMK is no longer interested in the MiG-31 line of kits (new versions, the earlier ones) the HB kit has its own place on the market for anyone interested in this big bird. Kotey of Begemot is doing a new decal sheet with earlier versions so . . .

One would need to see more detail of the sprues! There are still some sprues missing.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We listened and we WILL be producing an Upgrade Kit for the original release of the MiG-31BM/BSM if you wanted even more detail.

Upgraded PE fret with seatbelts and Zaslon radar

Metal Undercarriage (die-cast in our factory like the Fouga)
Upgraded decal sheet
Tinted canopy

Pictures coming on our main Facebook page soon.

Have we made an awesome kit even more awesome? I don’t think there is anything missing from it now........

Available to buy from September 2016.

• Like 2

We listened and we WILL be producing an Upgrade Kit for the original release of the MiG-31BM/BSM if you wanted even more detail.

Upgraded PE fret with seatbelts and Zaslon radar

Metal Undercarriage (die-cast in our factory like the Fouga)

Upgraded decal sheet

Tinted canopy

Pictures coming on our main Facebook page soon.

Have we made an awesome kit even more awesome? I don’t think there is anything missing from it now........

Available to buy from September 2016.

Count me in for the upgrade! :-)

Gabor,

I loved your comparison presentation.

I might not be able to buy this one too (although I'd love to - ok, will buy their Su-34), at least I know what to look for at the one I already have.

And remember: There is no perfect kit!

They are all good or bad approximations of the real one.

And what counts in the end, is TOTALLY objective!

Looking at the photos it is going to be interesting to see the plastic! Why is it that here we are getting metal legs while other manufacturers give it only as an extra bonus in preorder only???

Hope HB got the size of the stars and of the numbers right and did not copy it from someone elses kit.

Here are few comments, mentioned in an earlier post but now illustrated with the photos.

hobbyboss%2031%202_zpsq3e2exad.jpg

hobbyboss%2031%201_zpsbtrggxof.jpg

hobbyboss%2031%203_zpsqurfb5g6.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

50 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Why is it that here we are getting metal legs while other manufacturers give it only as an extra bonus in preorder only???

Seriously?

hlj.com lists the AMK MiG-31B/BS at JPY 6.880 and the associated metal gear/update set at 1.200 which brings you to a total of JPY 8080.

The HobbyBoss is in-stock with a price tag of 9.600.

The forthcoming AMK full meal deal with everything included is available as pre-order at JPY 7.920

• Like 1

There was no mention of the price tag or of any other manufacturer apart from Hobby Boss!  Just the fact that you get a kit which has the extra bits as standard. 

As far as I know this site is about the Hobby Boss MiG-31 kit and not about any other manufacturer. 

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

There was no mention of the price tag or of any other manufacturer apart from Hobby Boss!  Just the fact that you get a kit which has the extra bits as standard. 

As far as I know this site is about the Hobby Boss MiG-31 kit and not about any other manufacturer. 

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor - seeing as there is only one other quality contender in town for the Mig-31 and its variants, produced by a company who have recently offered upgrade parts to address issues have been noted by some modellers, the inference that that was the company you were alluding too was bound to be drawn.

Regarding HobbyBoss offering metal legs from the start, I guess they have had the opportunity to see how the competition has faired, understood that when all is said and done the amount of plastic, paint, glue and other materials would highly likely mean that a completed model would present the same issues and they've taken the opportunity to be proactive rather than reactive. I do wonder if this would have been the case fs the "other" Mig-31 offering had not been on the market though.

I'd love to see this kit, just to compare and contrast to the AMK offering... Looks ok from a distance, but as Gabor points out, there are a few mistakes, and that pic of the build-up looks "weird" around the cockpit, but that could be because it's unpainted :)

Hi March,

It’s all history now, Hobby Boss is to be second or third or what ever to come out with a kit of a given aircraft. If they don’t learn from others mistakes, then they are plain st . . . d. The positive side of it is something good for us, a kit which is better (not 100% as there is not such thing)!

There are both up and down sides of being the first on the market. The one first on the market can make a lot of money with a given kit before the customers realize the real problems with a kit both in its overall authenticity and its production technology. Before anyone says that I am alluding to this or that kit, I would say that I had in mind the Hasegawa MiG-25. It was first out on the market after Belenkos defection in late 1970’s and made a fortune for producer while its real “problems” were to surface way later.  Has this in any way have any parallels with kits of today is for anyone to decide . . .

The MiG-31 is an interesting aircraft and I had real fun in having a closer look at it in Russia and getting into its cockpit. Most certainly look forward to this kit, I mean the basic version, not that oneoff M version.

Best regards

Gabor

One would assume AMK aren't doing a 'M', so I wonder if it's easy enough to use a AMK kit and the HobbyBoss 'M' to cross kits. If I'm going to have an M, I want it to be of AMK quality (so all my MiG-31's look the same..), so using their kit as a base is the only option for me.

• 1 month later...