GRUMMAN S2A TRACKER

IN SERVICE BY THE NETHERLANDS NAVAL AIR ARM

In the year 1960, under the Mutual Defense Aid program (MDAP). The Netherlands received the first batch of 28 S2A Grumman Trackers. The Trackers were to be stationed on the carrier Hr.Ms. Karel Doorman and the Naval Air Base “Valkenburg”. Major maintenance was carried out on the Naval Airbase “De Kooy”

The 28 Trackers were registered 146/173.

Powered by two Curtiss Wright R1820-82 radial engines, generating 1575 HP each.

The plane was certainly NOT under powered.

Armament consisted mainly out of torpedoes, rockets and depth charges.

To search the patrol area, the operator could use a very powerful search radar. This radar was located in a dome in the belly of the aircraft. This dome could be lowered to make full use of this device. To detect minute variations in the earth’s magnetic field, the Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD), was housed on the extreme back of the plane. This boom could be extended.

The S2A and the SH-34J Sikorsky helicopter were the onboard equipment for the Dutch carrier to hunt submarines. Normally, six to eight trackers and four to six helicopters were carried during operational trips.

These former British Fleet carriers were rather small for the big sized Tracker. To my knowledge, none crashed during start or approach. The plane could be catapulted into the air, or make a free start from the back of the flight deck.

THE SCALE MODEL

1/72 SCALE HASEGAWA/REVELL

To my knowledge, this model was first presented in the seventies, so it was manufactured the old way. The Tracker was a rather large airplane in wing sizes. To reduce this, I disconnected the outer wing halves, so that the original wing fold was established.

To enhance the model, I purchased the following Eduard sets: Bomb Bay/Exterior and Cockpit set.

To place the metal Bomb Bay in the model, all plastic coverings in this area were removed. The metal bomb bay is rather flimsy, so a very careful approach had to be taken. Once in place, the corners were extra supported by Evergreen beams.

The cockpit escape hatches were removed. On the deck, during the start and approach, these were always open, to ensure a quick escape for the pilots with ditching. The operators had their own escape hatches above their heads. These were closed. Opening was possible from the in and outside. On the back of the aircraft, I made one more hatch, this contained the dinghy. I improved the landing gear bays and the front landing gear.

From metal tubing, I made the MAD boom on the backside. This can be extended or retracted.

The S2 was painted with XTRA Colors and the airbrush used was the Revell Master Class.

Decals were from the Revell box and Dutch Decal.

The model was sealed with Humbrol Medium Gloss Cote.

SERIAL 160

In the Revell box, it contains the decals for serial 160.

This particular aircraft has the following history:

Bureau Number 148282.

From 1960 until 1968, carrier based on board Hr.Ms. Karel Doorman (R81)

From 1968 until 1976, land based (Mostly Naval Air Station Valkenburg)

1976 until present, stationed at the Military Aviation Museum, located at the village of Soesterberg in the Netherlands.

Model Photos made by Joris de Neve, webmaster modeling club Eeklo (Belgium)

Real pictures from the website www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl . This site is regularly updated by Webmaster Steven Visser, a former Naval NCO technician, who served on the carrier in the sixties.

The carrier is also available in the scale 1/400. This set contains the plastic model, resin update for the angled deck configuration and numerous etch sets, including the (Large) Holland Signal Radars.

Questions about all of this, just ask me.

Regards,

Derek

The Netherlands.

jbkvc7eYOH7c7M.jpg

jbk8X3OxZqqxtq.jpg

jql3X9G5MIGSm.jpg

jbgLoFSXys2Wh4.jpg

Next time on ready for inspection: "Hr.Ms. Karel Doorman" in 1/400 scale, including many Trackers on deck.

Edited by Orion
  • Like 33

Hello Tonyot,

Correct, light sea grey.

I did this because of two reasons, the scale 1/72 and I have seen them on the airfield. Most of them become medium sea grey.

The wear and tear from the sun, sea wind and rain does the rest.

Greetings,

Dirk

• Like 1

To Dave the doctor;

Hello Dave,

I explained the medium sea greay. It calls for extra dark sea grey in the instructions, but in the scale 1/72 this does not work.

In my service time these STOOFS were still around as target tugs. Weather influence made it a medium sea grey.

The discolored green happened with photoshop. By correcting the picture we lost some of the original colour.

This was Xtra-Color BS210 Sky

They were made with a pocket camera and had to be spruced up to high quality.

I'm sorry.

Greetz,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

Edited by Orion

Hello Tony,

If you have time, give me the information were iI can find your pictures.

All the others, thanks for your positive comments,

This is a great website to communicate.

Up to the next one.

Greetz,

Dirk

The Netherlands

Hello Tony,

If you have time, give me the information were iI can find your pictures.

All the others, thanks for your positive comments,

This is a great website to communicate.

Up to the next one.

Greetz,

Dirk

The Netherlands

Hopefully you will be able to access my Photobucket page;

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Snowbird3a/media/models/Tracker2023_zps1727cdb9.jpg.html

if not;

my Hasegawa 1/72 Tracker that spent many years on the shelf awaiting me to get up enough nerve to tackle the home grown wingfold-- no PE on this except for the sway braces on the wing pylons

Tracker2023_zps1727cdb9.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson

Hello Tony,

Very impressed with your Tracker from the Canadian Navy.

I looked at your pics in the Photo Bucket also.Job well done.

The Dutch Navy used to have the Canadian version also. These were mainly used from shore installations in the Netherlands and the Netherlands Antilles. Search and Rescue, communication, medical but above all patrol the Carribean.

Thanks alot.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.