Group Build Chat

So, do we have every major aircraft type covered. I don't see anyone putting hands up for a 263 Whirlwind....

Hmm, 263 Sqn is on the list, I would have thought they counted as non-operational but apparently not... and I do have the Special Hobby kit... :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

And here,s the line up with I,m thinking a Heinkel 111 as the fifth and final entry,I have a couple of options from extradecals BoB sheet for the spitfire

and thanks to Stew I,m covered for the Me109 and Stuka for period decals.

SDC13250%20640x480_zpswodz7igw.jpg

• Like 6

Hmm, 263 Sqn is on the list, I would have thought they counted as non-operational but apparently not... and I do have the Special Hobby kit... :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

In fact despite the severe aircraft shortage, Dowding absolutely, categorically, did not want the Whirlwinds in Southern England.

Go on! You know you want to!!

Can I hop on board? Not sure what yet but don't feel can say away really.... I've done nothing but read BofB books for two months, so feel I need to let some out of my head.... If you'll let me.

Rob

• Like 1

Can I hop on board? Not sure what yet but don't feel can say away really.... I've done nothing but read BofB books for two months, so feel I need to let some out of my head.... If you'll let me.

Rob

Of course Rob, we are not fussy :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Hmm, if you are talking 1/72 I'm pretty sure that there is a 151 Sqn Hurricane on one of the new Xtradecal sheets and it may be a fabric-winged version too... of course if you are talking about the new 1/48 kit then the world is pretty much your oyster as far as aftermarket decals go...

p.s. if we really were fussy I would not have been allowed anywhere near this GB :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

I think I would mask the lettering instead of looking for a decal sheet.... Don't get me wrong if I could afford them I would, its not to me trying to push myself, I'm just cheap...

I'm sure many other subjects will catch my eye on the way. (I have 3 more BofB books from the library to get through after this!) So I better start saving now!

It will def be 1/72, I am only outside the correct scale at the moment due to a little project.

I was wondering how you got in stew ;)lol

Rob

• Like 1

Could I be counted in for this one please?

By all means James - a Group Build sub-forum will be set up by the Mods in time for launch on 10 July, you will be able to start your own topic within it along with the rest of us on or after that date.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

No problem mate, I thought it might be your first and it can be a bit confusing not knowing what to do.

Any idea what you will be in with? You don't have to decide before the day, but if you already know it would be interesting for the rest of us :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

You're not wrong there! I've signed up for the Carrier-based GB too, but that is not up and running yet either.

I've got a Gladiator (72nd Airfix - terrible tooling!) and possibly a Hurri/Spit if I decide the Gladiator is not for me! I'd like to do it though, just to be a bit different

• Like 4

I think a Roborough/Sumburgh Gladiator is an excellent choice. It's firmly on my to do list and I have the Xtradecal sheet with one on. Does anyone recall off the top of their heads what date they moved south? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of one in its northern guise, which given my Scottish domicile would perhaps be my first choice. Mind you, Stew has probably already done a beautiful one!

Having said that, having spent all evening trying to rig my Tiger Moth (using a trainer to learn on, there's serendipity for you), I might just stick to monoplanes!

I had great plans for a MPM Defiant....then Airfix brought out theirs so kinda figured it would be really well represented here (and rightfully so).

So going with a Spitfire and Hurricane but maybe a different take on them.

Looking forward to it.

Dermot

• Like 1

... so in I'm building it in a 'Hal-Farsed' way as I would prefer my GB entry to be of a better quality kit. Would the new Airfix Gladiator be the best option for quality and accuracy? I seem to remember reading a review somewhere...

Anyway, here is "Faith", which I was fortunate enough to see at the National War Museum in Malta last year:

20150414_195333.jpg

Edited by The James
  • Like 3

I'd certainly recommend the new Airfix Gladiator to you, it will be a completely different experience to the old one, it really is a lovely kit, I built one late last year and enjoyed myself no end with it :D

I saw Faith at the museum in Valetta in the late 1980's, is she still wingless?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2