Group Build Chat

Just put my order in for a Revell Spitfire II in 1:32 in preparation, however with the new ground crew & refueller stuff in 1:48 coming out from Airfix in the next couple of months, I'm almost tempted to switch back to doing a 1:48 Hurricane with ground crew :)

• Like 1

Hope this is OK.

On the 24th.July 1940 a dog fight took place over Thanet.

Squadron Leader H.C. Sawyer, 65 Squadron (Spitfire) had taken off from RAF Manston (he was based at Hornchurch). He got into a combat with a 109 E1 flown by Oblt. Werner Bartels over Thanet. The result was that Bartels was shot down and survived the crash and taken prisoner. A few days later Sawyer was killed while taking off from Hornchurch.

This encounter is very close to home for me. Manston is just 3 miles up the road from me and the crash site of Bartels aircraft is literally just down the road from me (less than a quarter of a mile.)

I will do both aircraft in 1/48 using the Airfix kits.

Edited by jenko
  • Like 4

3rd April 1940 after an engagement over the North sea between a Spitfire of 41 sqn and a Heinkel 111 both aircraft were forced to ditch in the sea

off the North Yorkshire coast,all the crews were picked up and the Spitfire pilot Flt Lt Ryder was awarded the DFC and is recorded as the first home

based pilot brought down by an enemy aircraft.

• Like 1

3rd April 1940 after an engagement over the North sea between a Spitfire of 41 sqn and a Heinkel 111 both aircraft were forced to ditch in the sea

off the North Yorkshire coast,all the crews were picked up and the Spitfire pilot Flt Lt Ryder was awarded the DFC and is recorded as the first home

based pilot brought down by an enemy aircraft.

I covered this in the chapter on Norman Ryder in my 'The Faithful Few', published in 2007. He had gone down with the Spitfire, and only managed to extract himself at the depth when the daylight wasn't penetrating the water enough, and it was going black!

• Like 2

Normally around 30 to 40 ft, scary when you're trapped in a Spitfire! I've been down to 100ft recreational diving, it's like another planet down there.

Be getting a new Airfix Hurricane for this GB.

I covered this in the chapter on Norman Ryder in my 'The Faithful Few', published in 2007. He had gone down with the Spitfire, and only managed to extract himself at the depth when the daylight wasn't penetrating the water enough, and it was going black!

Thanks for the tip Andy, I just ordered a copy :)

Cheers,

Stew

If you don't mind can I jump aboard please?

I'm going to build An ICM Hershel HS126 1:48, I've done a bit of research and 7 were shot down during the Battle of Britain. Somthing a little different.

Ozzy

• Like 2

If you don't mind can I jump aboard please?

I'm going to build An ICM Hershel HS126 1:48, I've done a bit of research and 7 were shot down during the Battle of Britain. Somthing a little different.

Ozzy

Jolly interesting! D'you know who shot them down?

I'll be in. As to what with, who knows? Maybe an Eduard 109 which I should really get around to building to compare to the Tamiya kit, or maybe a Stuka or Spitfire. Plenty of options for a fairly small variety of aircraft types involved.

• Like 2

Jolly interesting! D'you know who shot them down?

Thanks

I have found only one so far a chap called Eric Staney Lock, (Spitfire pilot) shot one down on the 20th sept 1940.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

After a thoroughly enjoyable P40 GB, I too am looking forward to this one. Planning on doing a couple of Hawkers finest if I can keep up the tempo. This next question will let you know one of my subjects. During the battle Dennis Gillam was credited with the fastest kill - do any of you fonts of knowledge happen to know serial and squadron code of the machine he was flying?

T.I.A........

Still not sure what to build.

Too many choices.....

Rick.

How about something small enough to fit in the cake, next to the file which is going to be delivered to Brighton nick. ;)

• Like 1

How about something small enough to fit in the cake, next to the file which is going to be delivered to Brighton nick. ;)

I've "Come out" now,

wait, that sounds all wrong...

Rick.

• Like 1

Procopius & Mackem01, fwiw, I think your queries are worthy of seperate threads in the appropriate sections as I think they'll likely get lost in a quickly developing thread like this one & I'd like to know the answer to both of them. Just sayin........ :D

Steve

I've got my stuff sorted out now.. .Revell 1:32 SPitfire Mk IIa in the colours of 421 Flight with decals from 3d-Kits! Now I just need to work out if I'm going to have it sitting on the ground or get a set of 1:32 Prop-blurs and have it taking off a grass strip...

• Like 1

Welcome in Espantello!

A hurricane in 1/48 is also on my horizon! Thinking of building a blast pen dioramas for it to sit in... )

Regards, Paul.

A blast pen diorama is a fantastic idea.

I'll be waiting for their construction if you decide to start build.

Regards!

All great ideas. Personally I can't wait...

Me, I'm stuck at the research phase. I don't know the code letter worn by the machine I want to model. I know everything else about my chosen aircraft (even the pilot's middle name), but not the code letter.