Group Build Chat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Enzo and Procopius,

being new and all, I don't know if may join this groupbuild already? Maybe if I ask really polite? Please?

If I can join, I'm afraid I will be going over to the dark side, because I plan to build a Heinkel 111 in night Blitz finish (Nachttarnung). I made one when I was young (still have it, one of the few survivors from way back when) but I would like to try to do the scheme justice.

And while we're at it, I'll probably throw in a few 109's for good measure. Having read about Mr. Procopius' dislike of this airplane, i'll plan on building those that were shot down in the BoB to lessen the pain. Please remember I'm not doing myself a favour too. Brushpainting and mottling isn't a very happy marriage in my world. But there are some really nice schemes...

Is this acceptable to yours truly?

• Like 4

Hi Enzo and Procopius,

being new and all, I don't know if may join this groupbuild already? Maybe if I ask really polite? Please?

Even if you were a little brusque!

• Like 2

I have a plan.

I want to do a Spitfire I as I was given the newish tool 1/72 kit for Christmas.

So far so good. However......

I want to do it as N3277 AZ*H of 234 Sqn as flown by Pilot Officer Hardy from Middle Wallop during August 1940.

Ok. Wasn't that the marking option in the last Airfix kit from the last century?

Yes it was.

But I want to do it like this.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/4871667320/

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/aircraft-picture-requests/66448d1299778725t-looking-spit-n3277-87c0c453272e8016e64fdada0d29d497.jpeg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/captured-wings/images/f/fb/Spitfire_N3277_under_guard.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140628120232

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1VEvY0y-hIU/ULjQV-q23jI/AAAAAAAAITw/rGnGk7bPkW4/s1600/Spitfire-04.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DN10T1Rjs38/ULjLYCz1bwI/AAAAAAAAITY/32u-dg0Qh6s/s1600/Spitfire-01.jpg

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225648&d=1392816784&thumb=1

So it would have the RAF camouflage but with overprinted markings and with some sort of patch to cover the hole behind the cockpit on the right hand side.

Would this be eligible for the Group Build?

Trevor

Hello Gentlemen, could I please join your group build. This is my first entry, so I'm not sure of the rules, but I'm sure I will pick them up on the way. If I can join, I would like to build the new Airfix Defiant, or the yet to be released new 1/48th Hurricane if either of these are eligible. Thank you, Joe.

• Like 2

As captured by the Germans? Well, as long as it occurred during the timeframe of the Battle, I guess.

It's just that I was racking my brain to come up with something different for a BoB Spitfire. I already have X4110 of 602 Sqn as the Spitfire with the shortest operational history (30 minutes) so I needed something somewhat different.

So unless anyone objects, that'll be my contribution.

Trevor

Hello Gentlemen, could I please join your group build. This is my first entry, so I'm not sure of the rules, but I'm sure I will pick them up on the way. If I can join, I would like to build the new Airfix Defiant, or the yet to be released new 1/48th Hurricane if either of these are eligible. Thank you, Joe.

You most certainly can join the GB! :welcome: Joe.

Either of your choices are eligible, provided that they depict an aircraft that took part in the Battle. I believe that the kit markings for both do so (although only the day fighter version for the Defiant).

• Like 2

Even if you were a little brusque!

Hurray! I'm in! Which is quite convenient because I already bought the Revellgawa Heinkel...

I will just have to fondle the sprues gently untill we get started then...

And as I have chosen the bad guys, I may as well paint you the picture of that...

_blofeld_zpsf84ee5fb.jpg

(sorry if this picture is not really on topic, but I just discovered how to use photobucket...)

Edited by Dorbeck

And as I have chosen the bad guys, I may as well paint you the picture of that...

_blofeld_zpsf84ee5fb.jpg

(sorry if this picture is not really on topic, but I just discovered how to use photobucket...)

In truth, F/O Pleasence was a navigator with Bomber Command in 166 Squadron RAF, a bit later in the war...

• Like 1

PC how do you know this stuff?

I spent a lot of time indoors as a child.

More importantly why do know this stuff?

My entire life has been spent preparing for this group build.

• Like 9

Hi Mark, of course you can, that sounds like an interesting build :)

Richard Hillary's book is widely praised but I didn't really like his writing style, Geoffrey Wellum's book on the other hand I thought was one of the best I ever read.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Hi Mark, of course you can, that sounds like an interesting build :)

Richard Hillary's book is widely praised but I didn't really like his writing style, Geoffrey Wellum's book on the other hand I thought was one of the best I ever read.

Cheers,

Stew

Not wishing to detract from his bravery and ourage, but if you read the latest biography of Richard Hillary you could deduce that he used quite a lot of 'artistic licence' when he wrote " The last enemy".

I agree with you entirely about the Geoffrey Wellum book. It has been said of many aviation books that they put you "right in the cockpit with him", but in this case that is exactly what it does.

John

Yes, Hillary's style can be a bit much but for me that somehow just helped to bring home just how young these pilots were - it's clearly written by someone trying to find a literary style and full of the confusions and deep musings of youth - and also often refreshingly honest about his selfish motives throughout. I have also started reading Roger Hall's 'Spitfire Pilot' which is fantastic so far.

And this morning the following was delivered to work:

DSC_0230.jpg

Which will feature in my build. I'm thinking of a diorama featuring figures outside a dispersal hut with a Spitfire being re-armed. One question which I woudl like help with if possible is just how close to the dispersal hut might an aircraft be expected to be?

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 4

Those figures look nice, should compliment an aircraft well...

As for how near would the aircraft be parked to dispersal, I'd guess pretty near, as the pilots were expected to run to them and get airborne in a few minutes... that being the case I would want mine nearby! How close? I think you can put it as close as you like and claim artistic licence, you can't really build a diorama six feet wide just to err on the side of caution :D

Cheers,

Stew

Which will feature in my build. I'm thinking of a diorama featuring figures outside a dispersal hut with a Spitfire being re-armed. One question which I woudl like help with if possible is just how close to the dispersal hut might an aircraft be expected to be?

I've seen period photos of Hurricanes as close as about 20 feet, to one side, not directly in front, and Spitfires, no closer than about 30 feet [approx 1 aeroplane length or span away], again to the side, not directly in front.

Probably privilege of rank who gets to park closest to the tea urn.

• Like 1

Evening all,

As a v.excited co-host, it's. Fascinasting to see the rasnge of anticipated projects. With recent releases ( Airfix being the prime contributer) it is (or shortly will be) possible to build virtually every major combatant with an up to date kit... with exception of the Ju-88 A-1! Come on Revell - you know you want to!

Paul

• Like 1