Group Build Chat

I'm in! Would I be allowed to do a Blenheim IV as used in the campaign against the landing barges in Aug-Sept 1940? I rather fancy the new Airfix effort...

If not it'll be a 1:72nd Hurricane I, probably a new Airfix/old Airfix kitbash to get a metal-wing machine.

I'm in! Would I be allowed to do a Blenheim IV as used in the campaign against the landing barges in Aug-Sept 1940? I rather fancy the new Airfix effort...

Afraid not, unless any of the three Coastal Command Blenheim squadrons (235, 236, and 248) with the Battle of Britain battle honour participated.

I'm in, if you'll have me.

Quite a lot of my stash is oriented to this period, as you've probably guessed. Candidates (do I need to declare my hand now, or can I wait until the start?) include creating a metal wing for the Airfix fabric wing Hurricane, Franz Werra's Emil after it came down, a Blenheim 1F if I can find a set of decals, and then there's all sorts of Spitfires, the Defiant, Flying pencil, another Emil (I don't usually do axis stuff) another Blenheim, and there's probably others. No way I'll do them all, or even more than one, but let's see how we get on.

I'm in, if you'll have me.

Quite a lot of my stash is oriented to this period, as you've probably guessed. Candidates (do I need to declare my hand now, or can I wait until the start?) include creating a metal wing for the Airfix fabric wing Hurricane, Franz Werra's Emil after it came down, a Blenheim 1F if I can find a set of decals, and then there's all sorts of Spitfires, the Defiant, Flying pencil, another Emil (I don't usually do axis stuff) another Blenheim, and there's probably others. No way I'll do them all, or even more than one, but let's see how we get on.

You can declare your builds now, or any time during the GB, really. And of course we're happy to have you. All one big group build family!

• Like 2

Cool - Thanks Kallisti :)

In that case I'm planning to build:

N3093 QJ-W 616 (Sth Yorkshire) Sqn, 'The Virgin' Fl/Lt Denys Gilliam, RAF Leconfield

:pilot::pilot::pilot::pilot:

Hi Folks,

I know it's a bit unusual to quote one's own post but I'm looking for help with the underside colour of the above scheme. The decal sheet refers to it as 'Sky Blue' but colour charts suggest Sky Blue is 'greener' than depicted.

I find Vallejo Air really easy to use so tend to stick with them. The Vallejo info sheet suggests 71.101 + 71.001 but 71.101 seems way off the mark on their colour chart.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Red Leader to chicks, tally ho on GB in July.

I have two Airfix 1/72 Bf 109E's but likely to build only one. Probably jumped the gun having two Mk.I Spitfires all ready to sheet the Jerry buggers down.

Edited by Tempestwulf

The kit supplied decals are BoB vintage, you could use those.

Cheers,

Stew

Stew, I know.

The only one that remotely interest me is Joseph Piller, but the camo will be a *icth to do. I filleted because its an E3 and not an E4

Depending on how things have progressed by then, I may build my long-threatened crib mobile of a Spitfire blasting a 109 to flinders.

Brilliant :lol: - but just two items on a mobile? Might I suggest adding a Hurricane and a Defiant along with some suitable prey? :D

Cheers,

Stew

Stew, I know.

The only one that remotely interest me is Joseph Piller, but the camo will be a *icth to do. I filleted because its an E3 and not an E4

Sean, if you really want to do Priller's 109, Techmod do his aircraft as part of one of their sets - you could always get a vacform 109E-3 canopy or alternatively the Academy 109E which is a pretty awful kit but does have both types of canopy - you can usually get them on ebay for about the same price as a vacform canopy. As for painting the camo... well it would be difficult, but if that's the 109 you want to build that's the camouflage you are going to do :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Brilliant :lol: - but just two items on a mobile? Might I suggest adding a Hurricane and a Defiant along with some suitable prey? :D

Cheers,

Stew

A friend of mine has promised to do a Hurricane chasing a Bf 110 for the other two arms. That baby is going to know it's protected.

• Like 1

I've just collected an Airfix fabric wing Hurricane from Hepster. Aldi special - thanks Rob.

This is the survivor residing in the Science Museum, and a veteran of Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.

I'm in!

And I bought the new Airfix Defiant yesterday - this would be the DayFighter option.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

When I hosted the BoB groupbuild a few years ago,a German seaplane on diorama won the vote of "Best of show". Can't recall the type.

It was subject for discussion that a plane that wasn't a "frontline" type won that vote.Some stated that secondary types shouldn't have been allowed in the GB at all.

Just those that took part in the actual battle.But where does one draw the line ?

BTW,if Airfix's new Defiant is as good as the fabric wing Hurricane I'm building at the moment.Then that will be my build in this GB.

Edited by Erwin

When I hosted the BoB groupbuild a few years ago,a German seaplane on diorama won the vote of "Best of show". Can't recall the type.

It was subject for discussion that a plane that wasn't a "frontline" type won that vote.Some stated that secondary types shouldn't have been allowed in the GB at all.

Just those that took part in the actual battle.But where does one draw the line ?

BTW,if Airfix's new Defiant is as good as the fabric wing Hurricane I'm building at the moment.Then that will be my build in this GB.

A Heinkel 59? I think the discussion about what is and isn't allowed has been had and the agreed result is here - under those terms an He59 would be admissible.

I can confirm that the Airfix Defiant is at least as good as the Hurricane :D

Cheers,

Stew

A Heinkel 59? I think the discussion about what is and isn't allowed has been had and the agreed result is here - under those terms an He59 would be admissible.

I can confirm that the Airfix Defiant is at least as good as the Hurricane :D

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks for the info.It was indeed the He 59.

Hi folks. Dumb newbie question, but how do I add the group build banner to my post signatures? I really like the red/white/blue version, but I can't work out how to make it appear as a link?

:confused:

PM sent, hope that will sort it for you :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

My birthday present this year will be the recent Airfix Dogfight Double set of Helmut Wick (Bf109E new tool) vs. John Dundas (Spit Mk.Ia new tool) - specifically to enter this GB. Also I've got the old tooling Hurricane with 'Nick' Nicholson markings lying in wait. Looking forward to this one - although it only seems like yesterday we were doing the 70th Anniversary build!

Afraid not, unless any of the three Coastal Command Blenheim squadrons (235, 236, and 248) with the Battle of Britain battle honour participated.

Is this GB excluding Bomber Command, then? I had rather fancied doing a new tool Blenheim 'barge buster'!

• Like 1

Blenheim 1's of 29 Squadron took part in the Battle in the nightfighter role....though you'd need both the new Airfix kits to get the 303 mg belly pack to "convert it" to a night fighter, just a thought!