Group Build Chat

Has anyone tried grafting a set of Airfix metal wings onto the ragwing fuselage? That should solve the interior problem.

I think that this is yet another opportunity for Airfix to get into the conversion kit market. They could produce a set of parts for the metal wing and sell it separately. It would give a huge boost to sales of the ragwing kit.

Good afternoon ENzo

I totally agree with you but I think that it is too late ..

Patrice

I gather there are some subtle differences between the fuselage of a ragwing and a metal-winged Hurricane that would require changing the clear parts and the fuselage as well, to some extent.

never occurred to me to now but the rules say each entry should have its one thread, does that apply to each plane in dogfight doubles? or can they be in the same thread?

As long as they actually dogfought(?) each other, it's fine if they share a thread.

• Like 1

I gather there are some subtle differences between the fuselage of a ragwing and a metal-winged Hurricane that would require changing the clear parts and the fuselage as well, to some extent.

I don't believe so, as it has been said in the past, many of the rag wing equipped aircraft already in the field were retrofitted with metal wings, and no mention of changes to the fuselage.

There should be others, but I found Tonyot wip illustrating how he grafted an older set of metal wings onto the new ragwing from Airfix:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980559-airfix-172nd-hurricane-conv-fabric-to-metal-wings-finished/

... and some drawings, note the wing roots are retained:

top-1.jpg

bottom.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

On 9 July 1940, the weather was poor, with thick clouds over the Channel, but the Germans launched a series of nuisance raids and attacks on small coastal convoys, of which there were six plying the Channel. Two small steamships were damaged, and a number of aircraft were lost on both sides, including the Stuka of Kinght's Cross of the Iron Cross holder Major Friedrich-Karl Freiherr von Dalwigk zu Lichtenfels; he and his radio operator were both killed.

On 10 July, a large convoy code-named BREAD was scheduled to pass through the Straits of Dover. The Luftwaffe intended to stop it. The RAF hoped to protect it.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
-- Henry V, Act IV, Scene 3

The Battle of Britain was about to begin.

• Like 5

does that apply to each plane in dogfight doubles? or can they be in the same thread?

If the two aircraft actually engaged in combat, they can be built in the same thread. So you can't do any old Spitfire and any old Bf109 in the same thread.

In addition, the two aircraft have to be displayed as a single entry in the Gallery. In this case it isn't the aircraft which are being modelled, it is the incident.

• Like 2

Today I found my self off course in another town and ended up parking up near a charity shop. Whilst waiting for a traffic problem to clear I went into the shop. Not expecting much but I look for things that can be turned 'medieval'. I spotted this on the floor tucked away by some jigsaws. A very modern clock. not accurate in looks, but it looks fine in the officers lounge at RAF Killaughey;

0d4e5525cb56d97c8d113aa2169e3487.jpg

• Like 1

Sure seems to be a lot of aircraft in this GB. Is it limited to the in air stuff?

Build the Zvezda 1/72nd 40mm Bofors last year. I understand they were pretty active during the campaign.

P8310001.JPG

• Like 1

07:30 hours 66 Sqn Spitfires get a "scramble" call and at 0815 engage a lone Dornier 17 shooting it down into the sea,the first of a number of

encounters on this first official day of the battle during the remainder of the day radar proved it,s worth with the Germans frustrated at being

intercepted on nearlyevery occasion.Figures are as always contentious but it is believed the Luftwaffe lost thirteen aircraft on the day and the

RAF six. F/o T Higgs was killed when the wing of his 111 Sqn Hurricane clipped a Dornier both aircraft crashing into the sea,Sgt T Clenshaw

flying a Hurricane of 253 Sqn based in Yorkshire was killed in an accident due to bad visibility the first two RAF casualties of the battle.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2635331/HIGGS,%20THOMAS%20PETER%20KINGSLAND

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2722147/CLENSHAW,%20IAN%20CHARLES%20COOPER

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

For my second entry is it possible to build a complete Battle of Britain RAF airfield .

P1010264%20-%20Copy.jpg

P1010264.jpg

Happy not to enter it in the gallery but i hope others may find it of some intrest.

Alistair

• Like 10

For my second entry is it possible to build a complete Battle of Britain RAF airfield .

I would think building a RAF fighter station should be okay, is there any way you could build it as a specific field rather than a generic one, though?

I would think building a RAF fighter station should be okay, is there any way you could build it as a specific field rather than a generic one, though?

An idea has been forming to createat an actual event and i was thiking of finding a RAF aircraft in position behind a luftwaffe bomber or fighter to make a dogfight double over the airfield. I think that 1/72 scale in the forground would work out well with the perspective.

If any one can shed any light on a particular encounter over a named airfield that would help name the airfield as i think it will be easier to work backwards from the encounter.

just going to look at my refrances and do some googling .

Any ideas most welcom

thanks in advance

Aistair

Denys Gillam of 312 Squadron engaged a Ju 88 over Speke, immediately after taking off, scoring what is reputed to have been the fastest air victory of WW2. He was flying Hurricane P2575, date was October 8th.

Ju 88 was from 2/KGr.806 and coded M7+DK, and it belly landed near Bromborough Dock.

Edited by AndyL
  • Like 1