Group Build Chat

The film " the Starfighters" was mentioned in the clip. Was that the one about F-104s, and if so can we see it?

John

Five days to go and counting.

It is John, there's a pretty low-res version of the episode featuring that film here but if you are after watching the original I am afraid I have drawn a blank there...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

CDW00608.jpg

That's bold.

Obviously this cannot be built for this GB.

Its in North Africa colour scheme; note the red spinner area and the azure blue. But as we are only seeing one side we can only suspect that the other side shows earth/sand colours,.......... and how much powder to use to remove it.

• Like 6

Do you mean to say it has taken 625 posts before any of us picked up on this?

Nope, it's the forum name, newly created.

Gents,

As an absolute new boy to the forum is it possible for me to join this GB? or are there any criterior

that have to be met before hand; ie number of posts etc.

Ta in advance.

Darren

All are welcome, actual building can begin on July 10.

Nope, nothing special. Choose a suitable subject, whatever you want which fits the BoB theme [see here for guidelines http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984615-welcome-and-rules/ ]

Then set up a thread [ here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/523-battle-of-britian-group-build-iii/ ] to show us your kit and how it progresses. Kits must be less than 25% started. Post up a photo of it at the start and then photos as you progress, not cos we don't trust you its cos we're nosey and like to see other's workings.

Welcome Darren. You'll find this to be a helpful bunch of nice people. Some of us are a bit obsessed with details and historical accuracy but don't take it to the heart :)

Good luck with your builds.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Greetings from Sunny Southsea, I’m weighing in with this pile:

candidates.jpg

Of course they’re not going to all get built (and backdated) but while we wait for our new Huf Haus to be built, I thought it would be a nice 12 month project to build every major type used by the RAF & Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain. Hopefully, this Non-STBG should yield a Spit, Hurri & BF-109e-3 to start the collection off. An individual build thread will be posted for each build as per the Solemn Edict Of The Mish. Apparently the Italians were also involved but when I went to look for the references, they’d all run away…Decals will be a mixture of kit where accurate, and the Xtradecals BoB sets for Luft & RAF.

decals.jpg

Having procured a metal wing Hase Hurricane (actually my ex-gf in Tokyo went into a large LHS and was offered three, all of which I had her snap up but cost a bit: £6 each including shipping - extortion!), I will be fudging the markings using generic codes etc. and a home-made “red devil” for Flt Lt. Nicholson- the RAF VC winner. I have also cornered the market in 1/72 Finnish Hurricane decals apparently.

Along the way I may even dabble with photo etch and resin after my relatively successful first attempt on the P40 STBG.

Paints will be Mr Color except on those where I might try MIG weathering fluid over Alclad with Mr Hobby equivalents or I may get bored and just drink some Laphraoig. I will be experimenting with 1K body shop primer/thinners as a primer so this may result in some unforeseen battle damage.

A first outing for this, which I was given two years ago and have yet to even connect it a compressor.

infinity.jpg

And I can try out my new combo modelling room & SoHo (isn’t it annoying when people start a sentence with “and” and actually type SoHo?).

cave1.jpg

cave3.jpg

First off the blocks, as I spent the last five years in Southampton overlooking the Supermarine works from my lounge window, and was recently archiving the original drawings for the type 300 & K5054 at Solent Sky (yes, you read right, the actual working drawings, they’re part of our R J Mitchell collection), it seems fair to do Spit 1/1a and will see if there is summat on the Xtradecals BoB sheet with a Soton connection.

k5054cover.jpg

k5054pintle.jpg

Second to last, I have procured these at a knockdown rate of £4.96 each to do as ZK349 in Nicholson’s colours and a whiffer as Adolf Galland’s BOB 109E-3. They will be done in non BoB STGB WIPs to relieve the boredom and angst when my overburdened bench saps my mojo/mojito.

tiffies.jpg

Lastly, I’m reading this to inspire me.

holland.jpg

Now pass me my teddy bear old chap, it’s nearly time to face those dastardly Huns.

Anil The Tallying Ho!

• Like 7

Morning gents, for the avoidance of doubt please note the following guidance from Mish regarding multi-aircraft build threads:

"We will do it the way we always have separate build threads unless the builds are related. i.e. two Spitfires or two Bf.109s However a dogfight double present a new issues.

Firstly the planes depicted should have fought each other and should be displayed together as ONE entry."

So multi-builds of the same type can be built in the same thread; Dogfight Doubles can be built in the same thread providing the actual aircraft depicted fought each other; other multi builds must be split into separate threads e.g. a Spitfire and a Hurricane would require two threads.

Hope that's acceptable to all.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Hi Stew,

Can a dogfight double still be presented as two separate entries? Or would people prefer to see both aircraft together?

I'll be building Airfix's Defiant/Do17 double and my initial intention was to have two separate WIPs, since these are very different aircraft. But I could change my mind if the Group considers more appropriate to have them together.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime,

There is some evidence that the aircraft in the Do17z/Defiant DFD set were involved in a combat in August 1940 so if you wish they can be built together in a single thread - however if you prefer to build them in separate threads for simplicity's sake that is perfectly acceptable too (as it would be if you only decided to build one of the two kits).

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

...other multi builds must be split into separate threads e.g. a Spitfire and a Hurricane would require two threads.

Hope that's acceptable to all.

Cheers,

Stew

Will do the correction, this is totally acceptable to me. Sorry I hadn´t read all the rules thoroughly (well I´m a middle aged male; rules? manuals?) :chair: V-P

• Like 1

All are welcome, actual building can begin on July 10.

Nope, nothing special. Choose a suitable subject, whatever you want which fits the BoB theme [see here for guidelines http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984615-welcome-and-rules/ ]

Then set up a thread [ here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/523-battle-of-britian-group-build-iii/ ] to show us your kit and how it progresses. Kits must be less than 25% started. Post up a photo of it at the start and then photos as you progress, not cos we don't trust you its cos we're nosey and like to see other's workings.

Great jumping galaxies! You fools! :bounce:

You forgot to mention the secret handshake. And the ritual sacrifice to the modelling gods at midnight on the Tenth. And the soothing of the moderators' egos. And the promise not to get involved in the sky/grey/eau-de-nil argument (at pain of loss of sanity). And above all you forgot to mention the pledge of eternal devotion and loyalty to Mish! :mike: How could you forget that?!

Shame on you. You have cursed us all! :repuke:

• Like 1

Will do the correction, this is totally acceptable to me. Sorry I hadn´t read all the rules thoroughly (well I´m a middle aged male; rules? manuals?) :chair: V-P

Thanks V-P and sorry, it wasn't exactly clear at the outset which is why I posted clarification for this.

Glad to have you along anyway :D

You forgot to mention the secret handshake. And the ritual sacrifice to the modelling gods at midnight on the Tenth...

Again, for clarity's sake, the sacrifice should be a chicken or a goat, no human sacrifices will be accepted this year.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

You forgot to mention the secret handshake. And the ritual sacrifice to the modelling gods at midnight on the Tenth. And the soothing of the moderators' egos. And the promise not to get involved in the sky/grey/eau-de-nil argument (at pain of loss of sanity). And above all you forgot to mention the pledge of eternal devotion and loyalty to Mish! :mike: How could you forget that?!

Shame on you. You have cursed us all! :repuke:

I have sworn lifelong allegiance to the Mish already. Mishites to not need to re-affirm, unless they transgress and get a whacking from the mistress.

Again, for clarity's sake, the sacrifice should be a chicken or a goat, no human sacrifices will be accepted this year.

Would a pot-noodle and one of these do?

bd8b3bb438906772b4baff5b36057b76.jpg

• Like 4

I have sworn lifelong allegiance to the Mish already. Mishites to not need to re-affirm, unless they transgress and get a whacking from the mistress.

Would a pot-noodle and one of these do?

bd8b3bb438906772b4baff5b36057b76.jpg

As long as it is a chicken- or goat-flavoured Pot Noodle, fine.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3