Group Build Chat

Thank you :) :)

I have an Eduard ProfiPACK 1:48 Bf 109G-6 currently up for sale. I shall remove it from the listing and put it on the shelf for this!!

First flight of a G series was in spring 1942, so this kit realy doesn't fit in the timeframe for this GB.

I'm contemplating having a go with the new(ish) Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa as these were involved in BoB with 19 Sqn, 266 Sqn, 603 and 611 Sqns amongst others...

It will need some corrections made, but there seems to be some good AM stuff out now, such as the Barracuda wing correction set that also has replacements for the oil cooler and radiator.

I've got a list of serial number I could use, I just need to work out what the aircraft code letters would have been to go with the squadron codes!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

I've got a list of serial number I could use, I just need to work out what the aircraft code letters would have been to go with the squadron codes!

IIRC, some of them were so new and so hastily into service that they didn't even get codes!

I'm contemplating having a go with the new(ish) Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa as these were involved in BoB with 19 Sqn, 266 Sqn, 603 and 611 Sqns amongst others...

It will need some corrections made, but there seems to be some good AM stuff out now, such as the Barracuda wing correction set that also has replacements for the oil cooler and radiator.

Have you searched on here;

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/index.html

Hi All,

I'm looking for some assistance please.

If I built the new Revell 1:32 Mk II Spitfire but 'back-dated' with aftermarket decals, would this meet the criteria?

Cheers

Nigel

See my comments at the start of this page where I propose doing exactly that :)

My database says the following Sqns had IIa before 31st October 1940:

19,41,66,74,122,130,152, 266, 457, 603, 611, 612, 616
but comparing this list to the Official list of accredited sqns here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/battleofbritainsqns.cfmreduces this list of Sqns to:
19, 41, 66, 74, 152, 266, 603, 611,616
  • Like 1

but comparing this list to the Official list of accredited sqns here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/battleofbritainsqns.cfmreduces this list of Sqns to:

Thanks Kallisti. Sorry, I hadn't seen this.

I have found some Xtradecal markings that match your list so all good :)

Hope you don't mind me building the same kit!

Well 603 code is XT but I'm surprised 602 Sqn isn't included within that list.

Well 603 code is XT but I'm surprised 602 Sqn isn't included within that list.

The database says 602 didn't get the IIa until May 1941. In the BoB they appear to have been flying Mk 1a

• Like 1

I believe that's the mount of "Kill 'Em" Gillam, later to gain fame as a Typhoon leader. Excellent choice!

Correct Procopius. I found the following on-line:

Name: Gillam, Denys Edgar Date of birth: November 18th, 1915 (Teignmouth/Devonshire, Great Britain) Date of death: September 1991 Nationality: British

BIOGRAPHY:

Dennys Gillam obtained his flying licence in 1934 and joined the RAF the following year. In June 1938, Gillam received the AFC for flying food to Rathlin Island in very hazardous conditions in a Westland Wapiti.

During the Battle of Britain he served with No. 616 Sqn very successfully. On September 2nd, 1940 Gillam was shot down by a Bf110 but he was picked up though by Air Sea Rescue Launch off Dunkirk. March 1942 saw him forming the first Typhoon Wing at Duxford and subsequently taking command of 20 Sector 2nd TAF in April 1944. In October 1944 he led an attack on the German Staff Conference at Dordrecht which killed many of the senior staff of the 15th Army.

Gillam left the RAF late in 1945 but rejoined 616 Squadron as a Flight Lieutenant in the RAuxAF and became Director and Chairman of Homfray Carpets in Halifax and Deputy Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire. He then returned to his farm with his second wife, the sister of Air Vice-Marshal Bird-Wilson.

There's more detail here

I'm tempted to go all out with a BigEd kit too!! :hmmm::hmmm:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...