Vought F8U-3 Crusader III

McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat

Bell XF-109

CMR:

Blackburn Firebrand TF.5

de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.21/22/53

Martin AM-1 Mauler

Pro Resin:

Curtiss XF15C-1 Stingaree (late - and I'm not sure that's the right nickname)

I'm kind of leaning towards the Firebrand or the Mauler, but they're all very interesting subjects. Decisions, decisions...somebody pick one.

Cheers,

Bill

they're all very nice, for me I'd go for the Rapier or the Thunderwarrior, I've got a half finished one and would love to see what they're like finished!!! :whistle:

Sea venom gets my vote Rich.

I still intend to join in at some point. Got my P-38 GB to finish and a lot of other non-modelling related activities so I will see how I get on!

he's Bill and I'm Rich! :doh::P

Me too!

see above :doh::D

Hi all, I have a plaster diorama base that I want to make at some point, eventually it will have a burnt out pickup truck on it (Meng Kit), can I enter the diorama base part in the GB?

Hi Phil,

well that's a good question (trust you to ask that :P ), I'm not really sure. It's definitely not injection moulded, more like moulded! I'll let my two co-hosts comment on this, I mean it does, sort of, fit the criteria. :undecided:

Stick some resin dudes on it and no problems.

I fancy a go in this GB. I'm so glad thad EnzoMatrix brought up the subject of card models- I found an old CD-r labelled "paper planes" in my desk drawer

the other day. On investigation it contains PDFs of several card models, of varying levels of complexity. I'd like to build a few of those, starting off with a Kittyhawk

Software model of a M1 tank with no scale stated, and a Fiddlers' Green model of a Piper J-3 Cub, which claims to be 1/40.Both are simple models and appear suitable for a card modelling virgin like me! If these builds are successful, I may try some of the others . . .

• Like 3

That sounds interesting....so now you have to do it!!

I was wondering if someone would do a paper model, there are some amazing stuff out of Poland and the Czech Republic.

I've got some stuff on my PC at home, I started a Yamaha racing bike a few years ago, but my printer was crap.

So go ahead, it would be great to see some in this GB!!

• Like 1

So changing the track of this thread for a little bit, not sure where else to put this.

What is the best way to create bulk heads, floors, etc for vacforms. What is the easiest way to create the fuselage cross sections.

So changing the track of this thread for a little bit, not sure where else to put this.

What is the best way to create bulk heads, floors, etc for vacforms. What is the easiest way to create the fuselage cross sections.

One can buy small profile gauges which can help.

For anyone who doesn't know what this is; its a centre bar with dozens of thin rods sticking out through it to each side. These bars are clamped only moderately tightly. When the rods are pressed up against a shape they slide through the centre bar, and when you take it away you have the shape, on both sides of the centre bar, but opposites, like a positive and negative.

Another way is to put a lump of Milliput in one side, trim it flush with the joint line. When it hardens, trim away the raggedy edges fore and aft and you should have the inside profile for that part. You may need to do this for each side as many vac fuselages are not even on the inside, each side being slightly different. Of course you can then glue the two Milliput parts together and use that as a bulk head. I'd not recommend using one lump of Milliput and doing both sides at the same time; the miliput may stick the parts together rather well, preventing further easy building.

• Like 1

Well nearly a week into the most momentous GB and we have a really nice range of models present and a varying range of modelling skills as well.

It seems like members have dragged out all sorts of stuff they had hiding in amongst their stash. Plus it nice to see a couple of the more unusual modelling materials present as well. Hopefully before the end we may even see some others as well

Just keep reminding your friends about this GB, I’m sure there are still plenty of people who would love to join in.

Again a very warm welcome to everyone who've joined us so far :clap: , I hope your builds are trouble free and you have a bit of fun.

As for me I still actually haven’t decided exactly what I’ll build, I have a few ideas but my issue is time, as it is I probably not get to do any actual work until late June! I have a few ideas planned, I’ll just have to see how evilBay works out for a couple of them. Unfortunately the B-51G Tropic Moon III beasty will have to wait til WhatIf III now due to time & build constraints!

I think this is an off-topic here, the appropriate subforum is

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/127-scratchbuilding/

Thanks for pointing out the "other areas", which I for one tend to forget exist, but I would argue that in a "non injection molded" group build, where we are (in part) trying to encourage people to try something new, we should talk about some tactics within the group...

bob

• Like 1

Hey Guys

I'd like to join, but its going to be a month before I put a lot of time into this. I've got a couple of options in the stash that I could build... all of them are in 1/72.

Aki

Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu

CMR

Seafire Mk 15 (RCN)

Seafire Mk 46

Spitfire IX (RCAF Aces)

Spitfire IX Early RR conversion

Typhoon Prototypes.

I bought the 15 and the 46 with half a thought that I would do one of them for this GB, but I'm pretty easy. So, what would people like to see?

Edited by -Neu-

I would have thought that techniques for building vacforms/resin is appropriate in the the GB chat, not just what we are building and how your Sunday is going....

• Like 1

I'm going to jump in here.......

Thanks for pointing out the "other areas", which I for one tend to forget exist, but I would argue that in a "non injection molded" group build, where we are (in part) trying to encourage people to try something new, we should talk about some tactics within the group...

bob

I would have thought that techniques for building vacforms/resin is appropriate in the the GB chat, not just what we are building and how your Sunday is going....

Yes you are all actually right in one way or the other........

Hints and tips for scratch building and the such would normally be posted in the section for that sort of stuff.

But this being a non-normal GB where scratch building and the such is going to be required for most of the builds in one way or another then it does in this case have a reason to be in this thread. Plus with this GB having quite a few newbies, having the tips and stuff in this thread or maybe the reference thread is a good idea. It will make it easier for everyone to pick up on the little tricks and tips we use when making these models, rather than jumping somewhere else and then having to search for it.

I would ask though if you do have some really good tips, then can you post them in that section as well, plus on the flip side if there are any rally good tips that you know are in there, then let everyone know here and post a link them in here.

now I'm off to do battle with evilBay again........not winning at the moment, most frustrating!

• Like 1

well come and join the fun!

I'm struggling to find time at the moment Rich, got a Stirling on the go, but afraid that starting another will distract me from college work that I need to fit in around work :(

I'm struggling to find time at the moment Rich, got a Stirling on the go, but afraid that starting another will distract me from college work that I need to fit in around work :(

thats ok, no pressure.

If you do find the spare to then feel free to joint in there's still plenty of time.

Honestly typical student, doesn't get up till the afternoon, complains their really stressed too busy.....

Sorry Woody couldn't resist it !

Cheers Pat

I have been busy on my build, but I've also been away, works busy and worse of all my back playing up - but I should have a decent update soon on the Martin Mars... quite enjoying it too!

• Like 2

OK, so I have been following this forum, not thinking I have anything to take part with. But seeing the builds and the great subjects it has niggled and niggled away at me. So looking through the stash last night I found this little gem

100_3451_zpsk1f7ism4.jpg

Its 100% resin and I also have some spare etch so I would like to jump on in if I may!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

I have been busy on my build, but I've also been away, works busy and worse of all my back playing up - but I should have a decent update soon on the Martin Mars... quite enjoying it too!

Looking forward to seeing this Radders... sorry to hear the back is playing up :(