GB Chat

Sure we've had this come up before on GB's. removing parts from sprues and cleaning up etc is just good preparation. As long as bits haven't been glued together I don't think it's an issue.

Obviously it's up to the hosts of the GB though to make the call either way, just IMHO. :)

Hi, I would like to take part in this group build, if that is ok? I'm not very good at finishing on time. But this time I will.

I have two option that I could build. The first is an F-rsin Dassault Mercure. The other option is a Welsh Models CL-44, but as I have already started to remove the part. I'm not sure if this count in the group build.

Ken.

I personally can't see this being a problem. As others have said, removing parts from the sprue or backing sheet is simply preparation, and not considered as construction. Therefore, providing the other mods are in agreement, welcome!

Tom

I personally can't see this being a problem. As others have said, removing parts from the sprue or backing sheet is simply preparation, and not considered as construction. Therefore, providing the other mods are in agreement, welcome!

Tom

Hello, I hope they mods will agree with this! It would mean that us vacformers would not use all the GB time cutting out and sanding! Especially as there have been a few big aircraft mentioned already. I am hoping to try the Contrail Short Singapore, so that will take some prepping!

I would not put knife/sandpaper to plastic until the approval is given tho, 'onest guv :coolio:

All the best, Ray

Well I have a 'second hand' Combat Models C-17 (that may or may not be attempted in this GB) which has had the larger parts removed from the backing sheet prior to me acquiring it, I would consider it eligible (IMHO) as no glue has been put to it.

Hi, I would like to take part in this group build, if that is ok? I'm not very good at finishing on time. But this time I will.

I have two option that I could build. The first is an F-rsin Dassault Mercure. The other option is a Welsh Models CL-44, but as I have already started to remove the part. I'm not sure if this count in the group build.

Ken.

Hi Ken

no problem at all, removing parts and even early clean-up isn't a big issue at all. Some of the models in this GB will no doubt require lots and lots of prep work.

So rather than seeing models not being completed in time I have no problems in people doing a little prep work.

So welcome aboard and look forward to seeing what you eventually decide to build.

Rich

Hello, I hope they mods will agree with this! It would mean that us vacformers would not use all the GB time cutting out and sanding! Especially as there have been a few big aircraft mentioned already. I am hoping to try the Contrail Short Singapore, so that will take some prepping!

I would not put knife/sandpaper to plastic until the approval is given tho, 'onest guv :coolio:

All the best, Ray

Well I have a 'second hand' Combat Models C-17 (that may or may not be attempted in this GB) which has had the larger parts removed from the backing sheet prior to me acquiring it, I would consider it eligible (IMHO) as no glue has been put to it.

no problems at all guys, I think there will be quite a lot of prep work required for some of these builds!!!

• Like 2

That is great. I can't wait to really start to build the CL-44. I've had it for so many years sitting wait to be done. I'll post some photos over the next couple of day showing the kit.

Hello gang! I would like to do the Contrail Short Singapore III. It is a vacform, and like a lot of the old vacs, has no transfers. I have a decent selection of roundels and rudders stripes, but any ideas on the type of serial number size? Does the font used appear in Microsoft word for me to try the unheard of 'make your own decals?' Also, if anyone can guide me in the colour scheme direction I would be grateful. Although they were mainly silver finished, I am not too confitent of getting a good enough finish for that, so would prefer a camo type if possible. I will pop this in Aviation interwar too just in case...

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

Several decent pics of camo birds on a Google images search. Couple on this link which is to a book. http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/books/phileditionalliedwings16rk_1.htm

Another useful link with some camo versions near the bottom. http://theflyingboatforum.forumlaunch.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=534

• Like 1

I'd like to join in with a Welsh BAe 146-200, this may be iffy as there are a few injection-molded plastic parts in it.

Would like to check with the hosts if it's ok ... basically the breakdown is:

- Vacform: Fuselage, wheel well

- Injection: Wings, engines, vertical tail, stabs

- White metal: Undercarriage, fan faces

DSC_1629_zpsuxum1bhq.jpg

DSC_1631_zps0xdmszmy.jpg

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to join in with a Welsh BAe 146-200, this may be iffy as there are a few injection-molded plastic parts in it.

DSC_1629_zpsuxum1bhq.jpg

DSC_1631_zps0xdmszmy.jpg

Cheers

This one may be open for debate... to be honest I'm happy to allow it as the bulk of the model is vacformed or white metal, but will be guided by others. The fact that it's not a 'run of the mill' type kit allows it to qualify in my mind, but I'm only one of three hosts so will go with the majority.

Tom

Been looking at my Airmodel Bell 47J Ranger and have decided to many parts is needed from the injected Bell 47D donor kit to justify it being a non injected entry in this GB. However I have found another kit in my stash that will fit the bill much better.

a MiKu model 1/72 all resin and photo etched parts Aerospatiale AS-350 Ecureil I helicopter https://www.scalemates.com/kits/159208-miku-72049-aerospatiale-as-350-ecureuil

Build as a AS-350L in RDAF markings like this one

Fennec siku 07 [Public domain], by Stave at da.wikipedia, from Wikimedia Commons

Ooooo where did you get that?

Rodders

Britmodeller wouldn't let me post the the picture dont know why?Mods?

DSC_1629_zpsuxum1bhq.jpg

DSC_1631_zps0xdmszmy.jpg

Cheers

This one is a bit hard, it's unusual and would be nice to see in this GB. But in the spirit of the GB itself it really does have some major components that are injection moulded. So unfortunately to keep the ideals of the GB in place it really doesn't make it.

But that said it does raise some interesting questions for me.

I would love to think and hope that this GB will be the first of many along these lines. But there are a lot of really interesting models that fall into this category of being real multi-media builds. As well there are some really low/limited run models which for the work required could almost fall into the Vacform/resin level of difficulty!

So I as thinking that the next time we plan this type of GB we include a section for cottage industry models! This would allow a great number of members to participate in the GB as well as bringing out some of the really obscure models and manufactures! Currently these models are either hidden away in the WIP section or lost in a GB, or they they're just locked away in a stash somewhere never to to be seen in public. I know I have a couple of likely candidates in my stash.

If there are enough people interested in another one of these GB's and would like to widen the range of eligible models then let me know and I will start a new thread in the GB Chat section.

Does anyone have any info, or know where I can find some info, in the combat models 1:48 XP-67?

I'm feeling rather ambitious and considering trying it.

Also, are we allowed WHIFs?

K

WHIF's will be allowed as it is the material the subject is made of that is important and not the subject matter.

Thanks Tom & Rich, I'll still try to join the GB as I have a few other eligible candidates in the stash, e.g. resin-n-metal 1/72 Magna Models DH Hornet, or vac-n-metal 1/144 Welsh Valiant, Victor or Nimrod. Or really go out of my comfort zone and do an resin-n-metal Provence Moulage 1/43 racing car :)

Edited by EricP

• 2 weeks later...

Well ladies and gentlemen after what seems to be forever, this wee GB is finally about to begin very shortly. As your host I had completely forgotten about it until one kind member asked me about an update another build I'm doing doing and mentioned I'd better hurry up as this one will be starting next week!

My reaction to this was........ :gobsmacked::frantic::yikes::beer::analintruder: (thanks Arnold)

Ok so it's now time to dig out this build from under the layers or dust, or lost the stash, or hidden in the bottom of the basement under that stuff you promised to do all those years ago!

After what seems to be an eternity, well 6 months since we voted, the time has finally come.

I will be you most forgettable host, if I remember to show up, and I will be assisted by most glamorous of co-hosts :bouncy: , the amazing and gorgeous tomprobert & pin! :bleh:

So stock up on all those essentials to help get you through this build of epic proportions, cause as of next Saturday it all begins......if I remember to show up!

Now if I spend a day on the Viper and two on the Lightning.......... :hmmm:

• Like 1

I'm going to be a bit late in starting mine as I'm still finishing off my 2nd SF GB entry plus still need to complete my Achtung Panzer GB entry AND my French Fancies GB... all the good GBs are coming along at the same time!!!

I actually have a couple of things that would fit in both this GB and SF GB but I hesitate to try to get them accepted as entries to BOTH GBs...

Hi all, I am counting down to the start! I will being doing the Short Singapore III vacform by Contrail. I have taken the opportunity given us by our lovely Moderators to get the bits cut out and sanded down in rough form. I need to do some repairs on the chine (I think that is the word) ok, the sharp sticky out bit at the top of the planing surface where the plastic was so thin it split when I was holding the part to sand it down. I will not be touching it now until the start. Thoroughly looking forward to the Group Build, and glad that Whiff-ing is okay as I may well use markings from a Stranraer I have spare as the fonts for the Singapore are non-standard, and my computer skills are not good enough to make them up!

Here's looking at the start of this, all the best, Ray

• Like 1

I am going to attempt two builds , one at home in evenings and w/ends and a second build at work ,the chalenge being to do the work at lunchtimes and at other times behind my bosses back . have tought of many devious ways to distract her .