GB Chat

Hello all. I wonder how many times I will change my mind on what I am going to do between now and when we start?

Options (so far)

Vacform: Contrail Short Singapore III, Avro Bison

Resin: Citroen Kegresse P28 by Minitracks, Millicast Rolls Royce A/C 1920 pattern; HMS Monmouth, HMS Good Hope, HMS Victoria, HMS Gloucester (1910), Chorozy Modelbud Martinside Elephant aircraft.

I need to do some thinking...

All the best, Ray

Looking forward to this G/B and so pleased it got in . Given the 4 month time frame i'm going to try the Grey Matter 1/32 Hs 129 B2 . I will have plenty of time before the start to try and desypher the instructions.

Alistair

• Like 1

I'm considering playing, never done a group build though and don't really know what it entails?

I've got a vac form Fairey Spearfish, however the thought of attempting it frightens the life out if me for some reason.

There's actually not that much too it really! We all start our builds together and are meant to finish them on a certain date.....sometimes!

Along the way we post a thread on the build showing what we are doing....right or wrong, ask questions if we get stuck....show photos of the nice nurses at the hospital where we are getting our fingers unstuck from super glue...though that's more for the resin crowd!

We have some fine/amazing VacForm builders in this GB, they'll be able to give you all the help and advice you need to get you through.

The Spearfish looks amazing, don't know that aircraft at all....for a moment I thought it may have been a bi-plane...that in VacForm would be a worry!

So come and join the fun, will look forward to seeing it build....what scale is it?

Every time I engage in a new build, I surprise myself and learn a load of new skills. I will confidently butcher a perfectly good injection moulded kit to fit a resin cockpit or some etched nickel silver flaps and slats. This GB, however is completely different. I am going to throw myself right outside my comfort zone and do one or both of the following:-

Rareplanes Beech C-45 Vacform;

Aconcagua Shorts Tucano T Mk.1 Resin kit.

I've never used even a vacform canopy, never mind a full kit; and I've never build a fully resin kit.

Do you know what? I can't wait.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

Hi Tom

Good luck with the Rareplanes vacform, I have some contrail vacform seaplanes, or might go for a planet Luft 46 resin kit.

I am also yet to build either vacform or resin so we can learn together !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Cheers trickyrich. Hopefully I'll be counting myself in then. It's a 1/72 Contrail vac form kit. I wanted another Fairey to add to the collection and this was the only Spearfish I could find. It will be my first vac form so the GB sounds like it will be the kick up the rear end I need to get through it!

it's a cool looking aircraft, I would build one if there was a resin version

have decided on what i'm building now...and it's not in the list! Just got a Warriors Models 1/48 AMX A-1, in resin of course, hopefully do it in Brazilian colour scheme.

Hello all. I wonder how many times I will change my mind on what I am going to do between now and when we start?

I'm with you, Ray, but unless I can't wait (which is possible) it might be the Kiwi Resins (or something like that) 1/48 Percival Mew Gull. Or maybe the ______ 1/48 vac VL Pyry, which is a Finnish trainer that I met at the museum in Helsinki and it was love at first sight. Fortunately my Finnish wife approves of her too :heart:

bob

Hi Tom

Good luck with the Rareplanes vacform, I have some contrail vacform seaplanes, or might go for a planet Luft 46 resin kit.

I am also yet to build either vacform or resin so we can learn together !

Cheers Pat

Cheers Pat.

I'll look forward to that.

Tom.

• Like 1

I've picked up a couple of vacs.

Rare plane tucano- looks nice

Rare plane IA-58- comes sans decals, anybody know where I could source some?

K

I know the IA58 very well.....have the same one in the box of doom!

decals....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aztec-Decals-1-72-WAR-FOR-THE-FALKLANDS-MALVINAS-Britian-Argentina-/191257253538?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2c87d216a2

I'm in on this one - not sure yet but it will be resin 1/72 armour. I have loads of candidates in the stash.

Will have a dig around over Xmas and choose.

Does the 25% rule apply? I have a few vacs with the parts cleaned up. Some from MPM with the detail bits injected, a few from Karo As with the details cast in resin. If the former are a no-no b/c of the plastic, I may enter the latter.

Almost certainly I will be entering with an Aeropoxy resin Fox Moth.

I would really like to do a vacform too, but time may be tight with everything else that I need/want to do this year.

The simplest/quickest vacform in my stash is probably a 1/144 Ha.139B. I actually quite fancy building it too (which always helps!).

Looking forward to it.

Cliff

• Like 1

Looking forward to this GB next year more than any other.

I was going to do an Accurate Armour Scammell R100 and 7.2 inch Howitzer but because the figure GB did not pass the vote I will now be doing that for the Achtung Panzer! GB and moving the figures to this one.

I also want to do a Langton Miniatures 1/300 cutter from about 1805. This has a resin hull, white metal fittings and masts and brass sails. I shll probably replace the brass sails as they are are very stiff and difficult to form into a natural sail shape. Cutters like this were used by the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic wars. After the Battle of Trafalgar a cutter, HMS Entreprenante, carried news of the battle to Lisbon to forward to the admiralty. News of the battle was also carried direct to England by a schooner, HMS Pickle, and although it was close it was the dispatches aboard HMS Pickle that arrived in London first.

Cutter01_zps9e4a0085.jpg

The two figures I have lined up at the moment are both 120mm Napoleonic ones. The first is an all metal figure from DF Grieve in 100mm scale (although it is nearer to 120mm in reality) of a trooper of the 1st Life Guards 1815. With the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo falling within the GB timescale on 18th June I shall be aiming to finish this one by then.

LifeGuard01_zps55239c37.jpg

The second one is Royal Navy Lieutenant from 1805 at the Battle of Trafalgar. This is a Victory Miniatures figure sculpted by Maurice Corry. Thiefigure is a mix of resin and white metal.

RNLieutenant01_zpsfea34cb9.jpg

• Like 2

Does the 25% rule apply? I have a few vacs with the parts cleaned up. Some from MPM with the detail bits injected, a few from Karo As with the details cast in resin. If the former are a no-no b/c of the plastic, I may enter the latter.

Yeap the 25% rule does apply as always, with VacFrom models, just cutting the major pieces out is fine....thats the easy bit! Even cleaning up bits isn't a problem, it may be time consuming but there is always more to do on a VacForm model.

Ok if the model came with small bits made of injected moulded plastic then that will be ok. Some of the fiddly bit are sometimes better to be made from injection moulded plastic, as long as it's not major bits or masses of little bits! Take a photo if you are a bit unsure, but it sounds ok.

Looking forward to this GB next year more than any other.

I was going to do an Accurate Armour Scammell R100 and 7.2 inch Howitzer but because the figure GB did not pass the vote I will now be doing that for the Achtung Panzer! GB and moving the figures to this one.

I also want to do a Langton Miniatures 1/300 cutter from about 1805. This has a resin hull, white metal fittings and masts and brass sails. I shll probably replace the brass sails as they are are very stiff and difficult to form into a natural sail shape. Cutters like this were used by the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic wars. After the Battle of Trafalgar a cutter, HMS Entreprenante, carried news of the battle to Lisbon to forward to the admiralty. News of the battle was also carried direct to England by a schooner, HMS Pickle, and although it was close it was the dispatches aboard HMS Pickle that arrived in London first.

Cutter01_zps9e4a0085.jpg

The two figures I have lined up at the moment are both 120mm Napoleonic ones. The first is an all metal figure from DF Grieve in 100mm scale (although it is nearer to 120mm in reality) of a trooper of the 1st Life Guards 1815. With the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo falling within the GB timescale on 18th June I shall be aiming to finish this one by then.

LifeGuard01_zps55239c37.jpg

The second one is Royal Navy Lieutenant from 1805 at the Battle of Trafalgar. This is a Victory Miniatures figure sculpted by Maurice Corry. Thiefigure is a mix of resin and white metal.

RNLieutenant01_zpsfea34cb9.jpg

WOW, what some amazing choices you have!!!

This is really what this build is about, showing some of the amazing stuff that is out there!

If you have the time it would be fantastic to see all these built, the sailing ship and figures especially!

Please let those who missed out of the Figure building GB that they are more than welcome to bring their non-injection moulded figurines along to this GB.

Looking over what people are planning to build, this has the makings of being a truly amazing GB!!

Well done everyone and welcome! :thumbsup:

• Like 1