Group Build Chat

I saw that Revell are bringing out a C-54/DC-4 in 1/72nd scale, hopefully in time for the GB, anyone fancy doing this one as operated by 9S of the Aeronavale? It is an absolute beauty!

DC4_1978_9S-9148.jpg

Found this at http://www.escadrilles.org/aeronavale/escadrille-9s-pique-boeuf-et-tete-de-gaur/

• Like 1

Wouldn't you know it -they sold out!

Might put it on my 'Watching' list, though...it may be an easier job than my main build. The Heller SEM arrived today; most of it is OK but the resin bits are of wildly varying quality: many are warped (although the resin seems very soft and more flexible than usual, so a hot bath and a bit of weight applied should sort it), but the pylons for the LGBs appear to be hacked from a block rather than cast, with the surface covered in what looks like saw-marks! I'll probably have to DIY these. The 3-part Damocles pod is similarly rough of surface, but may be redeemable. In contrast, the Akan unit and other parts are pretty clean.

All in all though, not a promising start... :banghead:

Does anyone else have one of these kits for comparison of experience -are they all like this?

Actually, I may have sorted the above: I really wanted a double-the-fun VER arrangement with two LGBs on the port wing outer hardpoint and an AFT on t'other side. As there ain't no VER in the kit (admittedly, most online photos show a single GBU-49 load-out) I ordered a resin rack 'n' pylon set quite cheap from L'Arsenal. "Two bombs, no waitin' -something gonna die...!"

Edited by AngstROM

So, to the rules, here's howAny subject on land, sea or air that was or is manufactured in France, this includes French designs that were licence built elsewhere (e.g. Australian Mirages). Any design that was extensively reworked without French involvement is not eligible (e.g. IAI Dagger or Kfir).

Just wanted to say that this rule doesn't apply to IAI Nesher/Dagger, as:

First, the aircraft is in essence a Mirage 5, with no extensive rework.

Second, parts were build in France, then délivered to IAI in Israël for assembly.

Just wanted to say that this rule doesn't apply to IAI Nesher/Dagger, as:

First, the aircraft is in essence a Mirage 5, with no extensive rework.

Second, parts were build in France, then délivered to IAI in Israël for assembly.

Now you're going up against the limits of my knowledge here. Obviously then, a Nesher and Dagger are OK (which opens things up a bit), but a Kfir still isn't.

The rules will of course be refined the closer we get to the start date.

HNY to you all, Wez (feeling full of Bon Homie 'cos it's his 50th birthday today)!

• Like 1

HNY to you all, Wez (feeling full of Bon Homie 'cos it's his 50th birthday today)!

Happy Burpday to you!

Squashed tomatoes and stew

Bread and butter in the gutter

Happy Burpday to yoooooooooooooo!

:D

Thanks guys for your good wishes, I've now got a spot of birthday cash burning a hole in my pocket which I'm wondering what to spend on, at the moment I'm erring towards these two books...

http://www.airfilepublications.com/fairey-swordfish-in-fleet-air-arm-service.html

http://www.airfilepublications.com/hawker-hunter-in-raf-service.html

...but the forthcoming Kinetic Mirage III/5 is really tempting me...

...choices, choices.

Wez

• Like 1

Too many thing to buy for our wife-driven budget !

Patrick

Aah yes, but this money is mine, all mine I tell you (laughs maniacally and exits stage right).

Alex, thanks for the birthday wishes and excellent choices of subject, will it be perm one from those two or both?

Wez

Edited by Wez

Good morning Wez

Sorry I am a bit late but I wish you a "Tres bon anniversaire mon ami"

Patrice

Merci Patrice,

Unfortunately, I don't get much of a chance to bathe in glory in our house as it's my daughter's birthday the day after mine, she turned 18 and has turned into a lovely young woman (and has made me a very proud Dad).

I did get time to narrow down my choice for the group build though - looks like I'll be doing a Mirage IIIC.

Bonne année et bonne santé

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Time and bench space permitting I'd like to do both :frantic:

Good oh, I've not seen the Heller Rafale but I think of got the Mirage IIIE in the stash, I'd be very interested to see how that comes out (especially with the new Kinetic kit taunting and tempting me).

Wez

Now you need a gun, a shovel and an alibi...

Patrick

I already scare the living daylights out of all her friends that are boys - it helps when your natural expression is a scowl.

I'm still up with a 48th Slovak D.520

In 2015 I WILL finish a GB, I'm getting closer with each failed attempt!!

I am a sucker for those Vichy French markings on what is already a pretty aeroplane so this sounds great, that'll be an interesting twist on the normal D.520.

I'm quite sure that you'll finish this GB (as will I).

Wez

• Like 1

Right, it looks like my entry for this GB will be the Hobby Boss Mirage IIIC in 1/48th scale - mainly 'cos I've got the kit and I'm going to be busy with coursework for some of the GB and need an easy build.

Currently, I've got the Berna decals which include markings for a jet from ECT02/002 "Côte d'Or" like this...

Mirage3C_1973_2-FB.jpg

IIIC%207%202FD.jpg

But of course, being contrary, I'd prefer to do an aircraft from EC2/5 "Ile de France" like this...

Mirage3C_1975_5-OH_mc.jpg

...or an EC1/5 "Vendée" jet like this...

3C%20%2010%205%20ND.jpg

The big question is, who does these decals in 1/48th?

Wez

• Like 2

I already scare the living daylights out of all her friends that are boys - it helps when your natural expression is a scowl.

Wez

A colleague used to make a point of polishing his collection of Japanese Katanas when his daughter brought a boyfriend home.

Oh and he didn't blink either.

Trevor

I'm deffo in for a Mosquito FB.VI

• Like 1

I'm deffo in for a Mosquito FB.VI

I'm in with a 1/72 Breguet Atlantic

Good choices people, looking forward to seeing these.

HNY

Wez