Group Build Chat

When: 21st March 2015 to 14th July 2015

Hosts: Wez, Enzo Matrix

Rules:

As your genial hosts, Enzo and myself have come up with a set of rules for your guidance when choosing a subject.

Firstly, the Group Build is open to everyone, aircraft, ship, AFV, car, figure or even insect modeller providing it fits the French theme - if I've forgotten a category that can be French themed you're in! :thumbsup:

Secondly, What If's didn't pass the popular vote - sorry if this is a disappointment for you but the good news is the What If 3 Group Build can be found here http://www.britmodel...ii-group-build/ I'm sure Col and Enzo will welcome you there with open arms!

So, to the rules, here's how we want to play this...

Cars, anything from a French manufacturer is automatically eligible however, for Formula 1 cars we’ve decided that they must fulfil a two out of three criteria such as manufacturer, primary sponsor and driver. If at least two of those are French, then it gets in. For example, the Elf-Tyrell P34 driven by Patrick Depallier, fails on manufacturer but passes on primary sponsor AND driver – 2 out of 3.

Any subject on land, sea or air that was or is manufactured in France, this includes French designs that were licence built elsewhere (e.g. Australian Mirages). Any design that was extensively reworked without French involvement is not eligible (e.g. IAI Dagger or Kfir).

Any subject on land, sea and air from elsewhere providing it is in French colours is eligible (e.g. HMS Colossus is out, but its French incarnation the Arromanches is in). So this means if you want to do a Grumman Hellcat in Aeronavale markings or an Air France Lockheed Constellation, they would be eligible.

Any subject on land, sea or air that was a distinct French unit embedded within another countries armed forces that wore distinctive French markings (e.g. an RAF Halifax or Spitfire wearing French roundels or a Normandie-Nieman Yak-1). Something that wasn’t used by an exclusively French unit but used by a French person would not be eligible, for example, Pierre Closterman’s Tempest “Le Grand Charles” was on the strength of 3 Sqn RAF and could be used by any pilot on that unit is not eligible (for the record his first Le Grand Charles was lost whilst being flown by another, non-French, pilot).

Hopefully we can show the way on how inclusive a GB can be, if you have any questions regarding your potential subject, put it to me an Enzo and we shall exercise the Wisdom of Solomon!

Wez

Edited by Mish

:bobby: Right, stop that, it's silly.

If the hosts would be so kind (and if I'm not too late...), I would appreciate being added to this one. No guarantees that anything will be started, let alone finished, but ya gots ta try...

Would a figure of a French soldier qualify?

It does fall under the rule of being 'made in France' - but just to be sure.

regards,

Jack

Is the French soldier in a French uniform? If so, oui!

I'll post a full set of rules later on - I'm supposed to be doing a maths assignment right now but the basic rules are this, on land, at sea or air, if it was/is made in France or wore/wears French colours, it's in.

Wez

I'm a bit concerned about this. I'd intended to do a vacform Dewoitine 510 (can't remember the make). It's quite crude and in need of detail parts. I thought I'd fashion a propeller out of an Airfix Defiant unit, or similar and grab some suitably sized wheels from the spares box. It doesn't sound like this would be allowed so I'm not sure how to proceed now.

John.

I'm a bit concerned about this. I'd intended to do a vacform Dewoitine 510 (can't remember the make). It's quite crude and in need of detail parts. I thought I'd fashion a propeller out of an Airfix Defiant unit, or similar and grab some suitably sized wheels from the spares box. It doesn't sound like this would be allowed so I'm not sure how to proceed now.

John.

John,

The subject matter - a Dewoitine 510 is undeniably French so it counts, as for using the prop from a Defiant and wheels from elsewhere, they don't change the subject matter.

Please go ahead and make the Dewoitine, I love the D.510 - very much a French Art-Deco aeroplane!

Wez - still doing maths!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

:oops:...posted that in the wrong thread. It was meant to be in the non-injected molded one. This is now my back-up plan then - if it's not allowed in that one I'll do it here, just for you, Wez.

John.

Aaw thanks! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, what do I build?! I have a D 520 in 1/48, a bloch 152 in 1/48 and 1/32, a Ms 406 in 1/32 and a nieuport 17 in 1/32 and possible some more. I will decide when we get there.

Cheers,

Can I participate with a 1/32 Revell Mirage 111 which I plan to back date to the earlier "C" model. I had made a start by doing a first cut on the fuselage halves as part of the shortening process but that's all so I think it falls within the percentage allowed on the pre build but better get a host to confirm its ok.

• Like 1

Can I participate with a 1/32 Revell Mirage 111 which I plane to back date to the earlier "C" model. I had made a start by doing a first cut on the fuselage halves as part of the shortening process but that's all so I think it falls within the percentage allowed on the pre build but better get a host to confirm its ok.

John,

Providing it falls within "less than X% built (Iforget just how much X is) rule" then it's in. From what you've described yours falls well within that so we'd love to see the big Mirage.

Wez

• Like 1

John,

Providing it falls within "less than X% built (Iforget just how much X is) rule" then it's in. From what you've described yours falls well within that so we'd love to see the big Mirage.

Wez

Hi Wez

yes I am sure it does. I stalled the build in case this GB got past the post. I plan doing up the cockpit and wheel wells which presently are just Revell holes. Paul Parkes on here ran me off a lovely set of decals for it so hope fully it will all go to plan. The afterburner clam shells of the early engine are a challenge though and I am well open to suggestions from anyone on here. The nm finish is a tad daunting too I must say - never a happy idea doing a cut and shunt with a nm finish!

John