Douglas F4D-1 Skyray, TAMIYA 1/48th

Gentlemen,

Having a really soft spot for the naval aviaition of the 1950s and 60s, adding a "Ford" to my collection was a mere formality. Since I was a kid, recularly spending some of my pocket money for Buck Danny comics, the shape of the F4D has been quite familiar to me - back then the delta-winged F4D looked so cool.

TAMIYA's quarterscale F4D had been around for some years, when I eventually had the opportunity to tackle one of these kits.

Douglas F4D-1, VF-213 "Blacklions", USS Lexington 1957

f4d1_0_zpsa92683bd.jpg

In order to further improve an already great kit, I added a CMK cockpit set and Eduard PEs. The kit's decals were replaced by an AeroMaster sheet - AeroMaster #48-542, "F4D-1 Skyrays Part 2"

f4d1_2_zps1bf7e0af.jpg

The paintjob was accomplished using Gunze Mr.HOBBY colour acrylics, applying only restrained post-shadings and subtle weathering effects.

f4d1_1_zpsd9fa326b.jpg

The AIM-9B Sidewinders were taken from a Hasegawa weapons set.

f4d1_4_zps2623d36e.jpg

f4d1_5_zps7fcc2ea6.jpg

Cheers,

Erik

• Like 22

Job's a good 'un! Have a soft spot for the US Navy scheme of that era too (first model built as a nipper was an Airfix Skyhawk), and would love to be able to produce a finish as good as that shown here. Will need to add to the stash to practice this on then! Thanks for sharing.