Grumann F8F-1 Bearcat - Hobbyboss 1/48

Hi Guys.

I'd like to present you my latest build - the F8F1 Bearcat from Hobbyboss.

The aircraft depicted is the famous Blue Angels Beetle Bomb.

I choose this marking because it is unusual (full yellow airframe) and because this specific aircraft was - as far as I know - the last piston engine aicraft used by Blue Angels in airshows, even after they converted to jets, until the aircraft was sadly lost during a training flight in 1950.

Now I know that this kit was received with some criticism. After the experience of building it, I think that this criticism is well deserved - not necesarly from the accuracy point of view (there are some accuracy/shape issues, but still it looks like a Bearcat to me), but especially for the lack of research on behalf of the producer. I find it really hard to understand how a producer like Hobbiboss managed to mass produce a kit with totally wrong decals and instructions for applying them.

The F8F1 box is containing decals for 2 airframes - one USN glossy blue (I don't know if tis any problem with this one) and one for Beetle Bomb. The problem is that I discovered (on the hard way I mean) that if one uses the box decals for Beetle Bomb and follows the Hobbyboss intructions for applying those decals, then will obtain a model that have almost nothing in common with the real aircraft - except for the overall yellow coloured airframe.

The hobbyboss decals (and instructions) are completely wrong from every point of view - colour, dimensions, placement, etc.

So beware of this issue if any of you guys is planning to buid this specific airframe.

Otherwise, the kit is well engineered and easy to assemble. Some rescribing was neccessary, because some panel lines are wrongly positioned or missing.

The only aftermarket addition to this kit was the PE seat belts (Eduard).

And new decals from Draw Decal/USA, of course (very accurate decals, good instructions).

Also, the model was heavely modified in the engine and engine bay area - which is highly visible when the aircraft is on the ground and which was almost completely bare if left OOB.

So a lot of scratch building and piping work was done to this area - but sadly this is not so visible now that the model is ready.

However...I know it's there... :guitar:

So here it is. Hope you like it guys.

Any comments/sugestions are welcomed.

All the best,

236_zpscce676ed.jpg237_zpscebb6f70.jpg239_zpse19c9673.jpg240_zps774905b9.jpg241_zps69d773ca.jpg242_zpsadccd12b.jpg243_zps02288abf.jpg244_zps66e2afd4.jpg246_zps0f55a3ad.jpg247_zps99471dea.jpg238_zpsff0373ab.jpg

Edited by One-Two
  • Like 11

Nice to see a yellow Bearcat, not only in the DSB scheme, your weathering in the panels is looking great, as well the whole kit.

Well done !

Trumpeter/Hobbyboss kits are a hit and miss thing, well made but in terms of research often lacking.

Anyway, great build, Congratulations

That is a very nice Bearcat. :goodjob:

What colourand producer of yellow did you use?!

Cheers,

Hi Arniec,

The colour is yellow gloss coded 1514 (enamel) from Model Master.

It was pretty tricky to paint, because of the very low coverage power of this yellow paint...

Cheers,

Edited by One-Two