Fairey Swordfish interiors: some details

le wombat agile

One of the kits I am working at in this period is the nice Airfix Fairey Swordfish that I consider a true masterpiece especially when we think of the price and the quality.

This plane is one of my "best of all" and in the past I already built an Airfix one and a Matchbox one while the Frog is still sitting on the stash.

Now I've begun two versions, the classic torpedo version Mk.I and the Mk.III where I am going to use the Pavla resin detail set no. U72.134

72-134_1.jpg

Well, no problem with the Mk.III where I'm following the Pavla instructions sheet and where the navigator place is occupied by the "electronic", maybe electric radar equipment.

DSCN3489_FB02.jpg

But ........ then ......

My great concern is about the navigator seat position.

I've several books about the Stringbag but I didn't find a clear picture of this seat. I assembled, maybe unfortunately, too much in a hurry trusting in Airfix instructions leflet. I've thought it's a British company, it's a British plane they know very well their work .....

But the in any case before closing the interiors I must solve my doubt. Now I have still a lot of work to do because I have to detail the side panels and so on ....

Is it the navigator seat POSITION correct?

DSCN3495_FB03.jpg

In this position it's quite under the bulkhead that divides the pilot seat from the navigtor one. Not to easy to seetle in. Surely more confortable than standing in the Atlantic Ocean winds anyway.

DSCN3498_FB04.jpg

The second question is about the safety belts of these seats. Also in this case I didn't find clear and interesting pictures.

I hope that some of you Merry Gentlemen can help me to complete these Navy glories.....

All the best from Italy

Ezio

Hi Ezio,

as Black Knight has said the seat is in its stowed (down) position and it cantilevers up and locks into place when required...........This shows the seat in the stowed position, on the Mk2 Swordfish LS326,RNHF (note the step between the 2 cockpits has been removed)..........................

fishinterior-1_zps7c78efde.jpg

There are no seat belts as such, the rear crew wear a belt around the waist clipped to the floor by a strap, they were called Rats tails by the crews..................

Smudge

Yesterday, for my birthday, I received the Haynes Manual for the Swordfish, which contains the best detailed info I have ever seen on the aircraft - not least because they had access to all 3 of the RNHF's airframes. Massively recommended for anyone building a Stringbag.

Navigator? Pah! Observer!

• Like 1

Thank you very much Black Knight and Swordfish Fairey (oh oh, what a name!) for the quick answer. So now I see everything clearer (or more clear?).

Very interesting the Rats Tails nickname so if I do not house crew memebers on my Swordfish I shall have not to depict the belts because part of the navigator equipment. This is valid for both navigator and gunner? I suppose it's the same considering the position.

The next step of my work will be the Mk.II that I left for the last one because it has many points in common with the Mk.III, the metal panel on the lower wing for the rockets launch, the fire damper exhaust ....

For this one I'll mount the navigator seat in the advanced position like the Tamiya kit that I've not but that can be seen on the web.

Have anyone a picture of the pilot seat belts?

Yesterday, for my birthday, I received the Haynes Manual for the Swordfish, which contains the best detailed info I have ever seen on the aircraft - not least because they had access to all 3 of the RNHF's airframes. Massively recommended for anyone building a Stringbag.

Navigator? Pah! Observer!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! I have the Spitfire and Hurricane ones but I didn't notice that there was also the Swordfish. I adore this plane so I'll get the manuale. Thanks again

Very interesting the Rats Tails nickname so if I do not house crew memebers on my Swordfish I shall have not to depict the belts because part of the navigator equipment. This is valid for both navigator and gunner? I suppose it's the same considering the position.

No problems Ezio, the Observer and TAG (Telegraphist Air Gunner) both have the same safety straps..I have just found another picture that may help, you can see the cable that the "rats tail" is clipped to in this one....Also the base of the "stool" for the Observer, the box at the top of the picture is an air charging rig that we used to take with us to air shows and would not have been carried originally.................Also of note is the circular panel that was removed by the Observer to arm the torpedo.................Forward is this way<<<<<<<<

fishstrapmounting_zps3279eedb.jpg

............Smudge

• Like 1

Thank you Swordfish Fairey, precious details. I see that the cockpit bottom is in a colour that seems to be similar to the interior green. Well, somewhere maybe in the Tamiya guide to the kit, I read that the green bottom and the side frames in a darker green are peculiar of the RNHF plane. I suppose that this picture belongs to this Swordfish. For my one I've followed Airfix instructions painting the bottom aluminium and the frames in interior green.

Very inyteresting the circular panel to arm the torpedo. It's a detail I never heard of.

Ezio

Is that bright natural metal finnish on the MG magazine on the RNHF Swordfish, the authentic finnish from "back then"?

Hi Sten, the natural metal finish was one of the options on a Vickers VGO (Vickers Gas Operated), others had a black top and or black body, I am fairly sure that it was black at some time in the past but many years of cleaning has left a nice shiny finish in this case.................

Special_Air_Service_in_North_Africa_E_21

This shows an LRDG/SAS patrol with their Vickers...........

Smudge

Thank you for your answer, Smudge. It kind of makes sense.