Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

11 hours ago, hendie said:

especially when you have multiples of the same thing. 

Exactly! A perfect example of needing a production run to maintain consistency of appearance across a vehicle.

Ruddy good reifying.

I've no doubt that you're being excessively modest in your self-appraisal of hand-crafting multiples Professor H but on grounds of time alone, printed matter wins hands-down here imho.

I was a bit too aggressive with the pads and I had some primer creep through in a few places,

At the risk of inflaming the Fnaarr-Squad, I've taken to lightly stroking my smaller parts with the end of some most moistened W&D, for identical reasons.

The brass is a bit light for my liking

A *very* thin umber wash may be your friend? (And showcase that beautiful surface detail.)

large-y5016-edwardian-door-knob-asb.jpg

still looks pretty decent against the mahogany background.

P5180017.jpg

If all you did was just build this part over and over, I'd still read your threads avidly H.

Peerless. :clap:

• Like 4

but at least the build is not at a standstill.

In a siding, as it were. I'm disappointed that the orbital thrusters aren't going to be fitted though. :sad:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I've taken to lightly stroking my smaller parts with the end of some most moistened W&D

Grunt, snigger and snort!

17 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

If all you did was just build this part over and over, I'd still read your threads avidly H.

I'll second that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick non-update - I've been out on my travels again (several times since last posting) - don't fret though... I've still been punishing myself by working on this whenever I can get a chance.  I'm going through the seemingly endless cycle of spray, micro-mesh, spray, micro-mesh ad infintium.  I think I am getting somewhere though.  Hopefully I'll have something to post at the weekend

• Like 4

On 5/19/2019 at 4:07 AM, TheBaron said:

A *very* thin umber wash may be your friend? (And showcase that beautiful surface detail.) 

Tony I must thank you for that suggestion. - The thought never occurred to me to 'weather' the handles as I had it in my mind that this coach was kept in such ultra-pristine condition I wanted to display it that way.

I bought some oil paints about 2 years ago, and this was my very first opportunity to use them.  Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

P6020005.jpg

On 5/19/2019 at 4:07 AM, TheBaron said:

At the risk of inflaming the Fnaarr-Squad, I've taken to lightly stroking my smaller parts with the end of some most moistened W&D, for identical reasons. 

To take the Fnaarring a step further... your small parts must be a bit harder than mine.  No matter how gently I try and stroke/caress/rub them, I always break the skin and get some breakthrough.  I've lost count of the times these parts have been sprayed.

Moving on... On the vestibule end, there are some electrical doodads hanging off the body just below the window.  There's a cable hanging out the bottom end of the doodad and a plug attached to the cable (to be addressed in a future episode).

I had made some of these a while back (probably a couple of years ago now!) but I wasn't happy with those so I remade them - this time paying attention to the runic symbols on my lathe and getting 4 pieces which are almost the same size... give or take.

I drilled a hole in each one and added a small length of brass tube which, if the planets align, will provide a fixing to hold the cable in place, sorta like the one shown at the bottom of the strip.

P5250003.jpg

now painted and waiting for a gloss coat... and cable... and...

P6020004.jpg

On to other things. Okay, it's still the vestibules but we're not talking paint any more.  I actually got a couple of coats of clear gloss on the ends.  (The micro drill is just there to provide something for the camera to focus on).

Moving from a painting stage to a clear coat stage is a major milestone for me. A pivotal moment.  I have spent so long developing my phobia of painting that getting from a painting stage to a clear coating stage is a major moment in the build for me.  It odesn't matter that clear coating is still in fact painting - and I still have the phobia to deal with, but as far as I am concerned, I just put one stage of the build behind me!

P6020008.jpg

and in an even more panic driven mode, I got some clear coat on the side frames.  This is a moment I have been trying to get to for several years now

P6020006.jpg

It doesn't look too bad.  It's not perfect by any means, but it's not too bad.

P5250001.jpg

A closer shot...

P6020007.jpg

That will get a micromesh once fully cured followed by another coat or two of clear

I came to the realization (finally!!!) that this was never going to be perfect.  I'm just not very good at doing perfect.  I'm sort of okay at doing not bad, and every now and then can come up with a 'quite good' but I'm just not good at doing perfect at all.

Between my phobia of painting and my lack of skills in said art, if I waited until things were perfect before moving on.... well, I've already been at this for 5 years now.   

I decided that rather than focus on the individual blemishes and faults, I have to look at the job as a whole. That means, yes there will be a fleck of who-knows-what in the final paint job, but I think the transfers will go a long way to making the eyes look at the carriage, and not a small blemish.

One day it will be complete  :pray:

• Like 11

Ooh, looking nice! Like you, I have something of a painting phobia which I find hard to overcome. For me, it’s mainly the fear of completely screwing up the paint finish after a long and painstaking build sequence.

Anyway, the dangly doodads - quiet at the back there! - are electrical connectors. Each coach has a dynamo driven by a belt from one wheelset, which charges a battery of cells in boxes under the floor. These provide power to light and sometimes heat the coach. The connectors join the train up so the guard (or conductor, depending on which side of the pond you’re on) can turn all the main carriage lights in the whole train on or off, rather than having to traipse the whole train and switch things in each vehicle.

I hope that made sense!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

For me, it’s mainly the fear of completely screwing up the paint finish after a long and painstaking build sequence.

that's it in a nutshell Heather.   I think I took those side-frames back to bare brass on at least three separate occasions.  The last thing I want to do now is have to take them back to brass yet again... a couple of years work down the drain!

Thanks for the info too.  I'm a mechanical bod so never paid any attention to the electrics while I was designing this car - we had an electrician for that.  I just know the electric goes really, really, really fast from one end to the other and makes things light up, heat up, or make things go round and round

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Wow. That's my opinion on the paint finish hendie. You perfectionists eh? :D 

Agreed! That paint looks great to me too. I'd mark this as "done" for sure! 

• Like 1

P6020005.jpg

Oh well 'handled' sir!

Those parts positively sing to the eye. 👏

this time paying attention to the runic symbols on my lathe

Might one ask what kind of lathe you use for such compelling work hendie?

Asking for a friend.

P5250003.jpg

now painted and waiting for a gloss coat... and cable... and...

On first seeing this methought: 'Ye gods. He's now building a stethoscope for the first aid kit...'

I have spent so long developing my phobia of painting that getting from a painting stage to a clear coating stage is a major moment in the build for me.

11 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

For me, it’s mainly the fear of completely screwing up the paint finish after a long and painstaking build sequence.

That makes three of us. :grouphug:

Medically-speaking we are therefore a condition. 📉

I'm  just not very good at doing perfect.  I'm sort of okay at doing not bad, and every now and then can come up with a 'quite good' but I'm just not good at doing perfect at all.

Defendant is apparently raving m'lud.

I'm sure he is not deliberately trying to mislead the court of public opinion with such wild and palpably untrue statements. Perhaps a brief recess so that members of the jury can be given time to examine photographs of his Lysander, which resulted in the jury finding in the defendant's favour in the case of Hendie v. Hawk Models.

The finish of that cream and brown along the sides looks damn fine from here. :worthy:

• Like 5

I'm also on the side of " looks bloody good from here" on the paintwork. And who'd have thunk that washing your small bits with oil paint would make them look better. Probably better not make that public knowledge or who knows what will happen to facebook!

Ian

• Haha 4

Now, the big question is, which will be finished first? The Pullman car or HS2?

All this CAD and printing stuff is way beyond me, but it's fascinating to watch.

Incidentally, I monitor a site called Railcam.co.uk and the real thing was out earning its keep again last week.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Asking for a friend.

Me?

CedB?

or...

Anyroadup, I love that brasswork it is absolute brilliance, that 3D stuff is getting really scary

Great paint too mate, what are your rates for private business huh?

• Haha 2

On 6/3/2019 at 9:25 PM, perdu said:

Me?

CedB?

Quite right - am asking for them hendie. :nodding:

I've no personal interest in the matter.

None at all.

• Haha 4

The cables on the end of the coaches are RCH cables (Railway Clearing House). As said before they give a control circuit for the lighting and consist of three pins, but strangely shaped...

Take a pin, and looking from the end divide it into quarters. Remove two opposing quarters. This now provides a male/female combined pin. The shape of the housing prevents them being connected incorrectly.

As time progressed, these cables were able to also carry the public address system, and much later they carried pulsed digital signals to allow push/pull working with a loco at one end and an unpowered coach with a control cab at the other end.

The Railway Clearing House was set up to help allocate any money to the correct companies when trains / goods went across other companies areas. They moved on to help set standards so each companies vehicles could operate together - although some stuck it out and stayed different to the end. (The Great Western Railway insisted on using 25 inches of vacuum for their brakes, when everyone else used 21 inches...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:57 AM, TheBaron said:

On first seeing this methought: 'Ye gods. He's now building a stethoscope for the first aid kit...'

:rofl2:

On 6/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Incidentally, I monitor a site called Railcam.co.uk and the real thing was out earning its keep again last week.

I'd love to take a trip on here but sadly, I don't think that will ever happen.

I did get a free evening dinner on The Royal Scotsman though, many, many years ago - had to test the new chefs and waiting staff before the start of the season so I was one of the guinea pigs. All silver service n'that... very nice

On 6/3/2019 at 3:57 AM, TheBaron said:

Might one ask what kind of lathe you use for such compelling work hendie?

You most certainly can, but in the interests of good manners and fairness to everyone... well, not really everyone... just Ced

Ced, please...

Dont-look.jpg

A while back I got me one of these.

P6080003.jpg

It was a combined birthday/Christmas gift with some seasonal discount thrown in.  Still not particularly cheap though.

I bought it because the only off the shelf item I've bought for this build were the wheels and they were the wrong diameter so I needed some way to fix that. Ergo, a lathe. - Took me months to save up for the lathe and wait for the right moment to buy it, and less than 10 minutes to turn the wheels down

I haven't used it much, but it's indispensable at times. I'm also not very good with it - I tend to do things by eye then follow up with a quick check with a set of calipers rather than use the actual readings on the dials, though I am trying to get out of that habit.

Okay Ced, you can look now.  Someone give him a prod.

not really much to update - still waiting on decals. 

13 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

The cables on the end of the coaches are RCH cables (Railway Clearing House)

:thumbsup2: Bigdave.  I had a go at making some. Devilishly small and fiddly

I'll paint all these up and pick the best 4

P6040001.jpg

I've been grabbing some more time at work for 3D printing stuff but don't have anything worth showing in that respect at the moment.

I did start work on some internal stuff - basically just killing time until I can get on with the *real* assembly.

The gift cabinet -

P6080002.jpg

Some framing, sanded to a nice half round edge

P6080005.jpg

Then test fitted with some "glass" shelves

P6080008.jpg

The gift cabinet also has sliding glass doors on the front so they might prove challenging

Sorry there ain't more

*edit* just realized what a one buttocked attempt at a post this was.  I omitted a whole bunch of info.  The gift cabinet is now fully stained, waiting to dry and then it will get another coat of semi gloss. I'm toying with the idea of adding two steel braces (i.e. bits of wire) per shelf to take away from the overall blandness and general emptiness inside.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Are you going to be selling scale models of the coach in the Gift Cabinet?

hahahahahahahahha... I saw what you did there!    No !!!   Nice try though

The rest of the time has been spent with micro-mesh in hand.  The doors proved to be very troublesome.  Doing a great big flat expanse like the side frame was relatively easy to micro-mesh, but the doors are a different matter wot with all the nooks and crannies and such.  I'm sticking with the 'not quite perfect' look again for the doors.

On the 3D printing route, I have the diamond window completed.  My original idea back when I started all this was to do that one in PE, but I won't get the relief and detail it really needs. Printing it will be the way to go.  The main window assembly is also designed, ready for the printer.  I'm quietly confident about the diamond window, but I'm only going to print one as a test to see if it needs any tweaks before I go off printing the entire carriage worth of windows.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 7

a touch more work done this afternoon to finish off the gift cabinet. (and yet more micro-meshing)

First job was to fix the shelf brackets.  I simply drilled Ø0.4mm holes through the back of the cabinet. The holes were then countersunk slightly on the rear face (to help with gluing), then some stainless steel wire was pushed through the holes until it was 5mm into the cabinet.  Sloopergloo was slapped on the back and when hard, the excess wire was snipped off the rear and it was all sanded flush

P6090002.jpg

This gave me 4 sets of brackets to sit shelves onto, and yet more surfaces for dust to be attracted to.

P6090004.jpg

Once the shelves were in - I used GS Hypo to tack them in place, I began work on the sliding doors.  The job would have been made a whole lot easier if I hadn't glued the facing on the front first, but Percy Verance helped out and I got there in the end.

P6090005.jpg

Then a couple of off-cuts were sliced to act as 'handles' on the doors.

P6090007.jpg

I really should have though ahead and got some baubles and wotnots to put inside.  Maybe I'll revisit it at a later date, who knows.

Anyways, job done. One gift cabinet made

• Like 11

On 6/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Are you going to be selling scale models of the coach in the Gift Cabinet?

Believe it or not but I did take a look at that today - I took the original (livery) drawing and scaled it down by 1/32 (the current build scale), then scaled it down again by 1/32.  I thought it would be a nice little touch - thanks for the idea!   I thought I could perhaps get it printed and stick it inside the cabinet.

Unfortunately, the length of the 1/32*1/32 came out at roughly 19mm long... and the cabinet is only 15mm internal width.  The width and height was roughly 3mm x 3mm.  Scaling it any smaller and I'm going to end up with something approaching 2 x 2 x 15 mm - painting it would be a challenging trying to get the umber and cream looking decent

but I haven't completely ruled the idea out quite yet

• Like 2
  • Haha 1