Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

Hendie,

I find that the main trick with painting is to set low standards for myself and then just accept that I won’t meet them. 

This way I suffer few delays and am rarely -if ever - dissapointed.

Always here to help mate!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for that Steve.  :rofl2:   Always good to receive constructive advice from someone in the know.

The new pot of paint arrived yesterday.  I decided today was the day come rain, hail, or shine.  As it turned out, we got the rain and it felt like we should be getting hail.  I can't believe how it can go from 95° to less than 60° in 48 hours.

Anyways... I got the side frames out and gave them a quick once over.  They weren't too bad at all.  There was the obligatory hair cheekily poking out from under the masking tape on one piece - that was dealt with and I also found about 3 spots/blemishes on the finish.  The first couple were pretty easy to take care of - micro-meshed into oblivion, but the last one was a bit scary.  It was right next to the masking tape, so an inordinate amount of care (for me!) was needed to eliminate that and not cause any collateral damage.

P9090008.jpg

The painting session went without any horrors (that I'm aware of yet) and a couple of hours later.... scary time!

P9090009.jpg

Actually the masking tape came off very easily and behaved itself, even right up to the edges.   There is a small ridge where the masked edges were (obviously no surprise there) but a light micro meshing will take care of those without too much trouble.

P9090010.jpg

As straight a line as I am ever going to get.

P9090011.jpg

The side frames still need to get a coat of clear on top and that will darken the brown down nicely and give a bit more of a protective covering but I am going to leave those for at least a week before that happens.

Overall, I can now breathe a sigh of relief.  Painting those side frames has been my nemesis for the best part of the last year I think.  I am so, so glad it's over.

Now I need to get back to thinking about the transfers.  It's been so long since I looked at those files I am going to have to double check everything before I can order anything.  I also need to find someone to actually make the transfers.  The two main recommended suppliers both have a 6 month+ lead time.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Have you tried Melius Manu in Poland

Do you have any other contact details?  I'm an avid dinnae touch facebook follower

ne'er mind, I think I found him/them

I also found a dry transfer company that I think is worth looking into.  I'd love to use what I already know (waterslides) but applying a couple of 600 mm long thin lines parallel and straight might stretch my resolve

thanks for the info Ian - I'll certainly look into them

Edited by hendie

• 2 weeks later...

hi folks... back again with a small update just to prove things are still moving along.

As I mentioned above, while searching through my documents and references I came across the original design for the carpet which I have shown here.

Pegasus_Carpet_small.png

However it seems as though there were some changes before it got to production.  From what I can see in this photo here (and others), it is mainly a change in the background color.

(Please 'scuse the old biddy photobombing  the picture here)

Queen04_3434687b.jpg

The background color appears to be a bit lighter with more of a green tone to it.

After some photo editing (not my strong suite by any means) I think I arrived at a workable solution.  It's not perfect but it's close.

P9190004.jpg

I added some seating just to help with the overall impression.  The color in the photo is a bit off.  It shows here as being closer to blue, but is more green in the flesh so to speak.

P9190006.jpg

I think I may scale down the pattern just a tad.  Size wise I think it's almost there.  I think I also need to lighten the tone just a touch so it's not quite so stark.

It should be fun trying to glue down that amount of paper without getting wrinkles.  It will also need a covering of some fixative and maybe a matt spray to make it look a bit more carpet like

P9190003.jpg

now back to working on the transfers....

• Like 9

Nice carpet, it already adds realism! For glueing, how about placing it top down, wider then the floor, make sure it's flattened and tightened, and then place the floor on top. Then cut and turn over. 

• Like 2

quick question for folks out there.  In order to get my decals printed I need to convert the file to a Corel Draw (up to X5) or Illustrator (up to CS6) file type.

I have created everything as a DWG file and can output to DXF.  Does anyone have the ability to convert a DXF or DWG file to Corel Draw ? or am I looking at purchasing some software?

Just caught up about 15 pages.  Epic.  Ep. Ic.   A subject about which I know next to nothing, with all sorts of words I barely understand (‘pascom’ et al), and utterly riveting.  All sorts of good tips about painting, too (I share some of your phobia, Hendie).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Just caught up about 15 pages.  Epic.  Ep. Ic.   A subject about which I know next to nothing, with all sorts of words I barely understand (‘pascom’ et al), and utterly riveting.  All sorts of good tips about painting, too (I share some of your phobia, Hendie).

Now you know how some of us feel about JackSpeak (Yes, I have the book!) and Helo-speak.... 😵

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent whatever free time I've had in the last few weeks fighting CAD systems and Graphics programs trying to produce a file that my decal guy can work with.  I thought I was being smart deigning everything in Draftsight (CAD) since it was all vector driven, that plus the fact that I know the system and it was relatively straightforward to produce what I needed, albeit time consuming.  However, translating that file format to a usable format for the decal guy proved exceedingly troublesome.  Who'd have thought translating from vector to vector would be so frustrating?  

I tried everything from DWG to DXF (multiple versions, including ASCII & Binary).  Vector PDF's though everything seemed to get rasterized in the process.  Goodness knows how many other file types before I happened across some glitches that started to switch the light-bulb on in the far distance.

I had downloaded Inkscape (then fought for an hour or two with Win 10 to get the damned thing installed) as I thought I had a chance with an SVG file type.

That seemed to go almost according to plan except that when I saved as an SVG from Draftsight then imported it into Inkscape the scaling was all to pot.  So, not being quite au fait with Inkscape and not knowing how to scale vectors in that software I kept plugging away at exploring file translations.  Eventually I happened across the fact that if you SAVE (in Draftsight) as an SVG file type - it does save successfully but loses the scale reference.  However, if you PLOT to SVG file type, it creates the SVG file with the correct scaling.... YIPEEEEeeeeeeee!  But there was one thing left biting me - some of the lines were vectors and some were rasterized  huh???  After more frustrating hours I found that if you used the standard colors within Draftsight, it created vectors, but if you used true colors, then it rasterized them.

I also found the same issue when creating PDF's - if I 'print' to PDF I get a raster output, but if I PLOT to PDF I get a vector output. 

Damnit!!!  Why didn't I know this???

So, today, after 3 or 4 weeks trying I finally managed to send him some files which (fingers crossed) he can work with.  Now I just need to wait and see...

Anyhoos... Back to Pegasus, which is why we're all here after all... or at least me. The reason I sort of dropped everything to concentrate on those decals is that I am getting to some stages in the build sequence where I need to paint and apply decals before I can go any further.  Namely the end vestibule (yes... again!)

I had tried to rescue those previous end vestibules but without success - the plastic was just too thin in places after repeated sanding.  That meant hey let's build some more... (again!)

PA020001.jpg

And now that I look at this and consider what I have just written above, I wonder if the issues I was experiencing with the cutter were down to producing raster PDF's and not vector PDF's (must dig the cutter out again and try with some actual vector files)

Since I have now made about eleventy seven of these, the build went much quicker.

This fast in fact...

PA020002.jpg

Then it was off to the paint shop for some primer.  Followed by some sanding.    Followed by some primer.   Followed by some sanding.    Followed by some primer.  Which is where we sit today... ready for the Pullman Umber (when the temperature rises)

I took the opportunity of some build down time to experiment with the doors - the glazing on the doors has a small beading around the edge.  I cut a small strip of styrene and glued this inside the oval with some Tamiya extra thin.

PA060004.jpg

Once that had dried, I cut another slightly larger oval and in another sheet of styrene and placed this over the 'beading'.  This allowed me to sand down the beading to something approaching a scale thickness. (okay, a little bit more needs taken down here I think)

PA060003.jpg

Then when painted looks not too bad at all.

PA060006.jpg

A shot of the side-frame dry fitted.  I think we are finally getting somewhere folks!

PA060008.jpg

Of course I discovered after this that the doors are actually inset just slightly from the door frame. I'll take this as a win - proof of concept works!

I think I may need to reduce the width of the doors slightly to allow for the grab handles - they should be interesting to (try and) make

Now, I just need to paint those vestibules and get the decals

• Like 10

So, to sum up....

Gobbledygook, vectors, gobbledygook, rasterized :sad: huh??? files, acronyms and more gobbledygook.

Plastic card, paint, glue (Ah, now we're getting somewhere) and bits of an actual model.

Yep, that's me caught up. Thanks, Hendie.

BTW, This site flags up the word Airfix but not the word gobbledygook. Huh???

• Haha 6

Those vector/raster mutations sound frankly 'orrible hendie. Never heard of them being mixed in the same file-type before but my own experience is limited to popping .ai files across from Illustrator to After Effects for rasterizing so in no position to offer advice of any worth.

There is something infinitely pleasing about a good oval and that is framing of distinction in this department. Oodles of class!

• Like 2

Lovely work on the end vestibules Hendie :) 

I share your pain with graphics packages - the wonderful thing about 'International Standards' is that there are so many to choose from…

• Haha 4

Plot not Save

Gottit

Vestibular is looking great H and as Hizzonner says ovals look really classy

'Specially after the Hendie treatment

(thinks... Must get back into Inkscape it really is a fine program for artworks)

• Like 1

Just recalling that this is not the first time that you've flashed up a pic of Her Madge in the Carriage hendie.

Will you be building her from brass or is there a CAD-Madge uploaded to Shapeways already?

• Haha 2