Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

A black base for the plaque will look good. As does the mirror. As for Bridies, we deliver to a pub in Peterborough that imports them from Edinburgh. 

20 hours ago, hendie said:

I can almost taste the axle grease.

Some American food can be like that.

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

That’s Looking really great Allan. 👍

There is -finally- an update on the tracks / floaty tank boat thing for your perusal should you care to take an expert peek. 

Thanks Steve.  The floaty tank is looking good.  Can't wait to see the tracks in place

On 10/23/2020 at 3:06 AM, heloman1 said:

Six years Alan, some determination...

Colin

thanks Colin.  More obstinance than determination

On 10/23/2020 at 4:27 AM, perdu said:

I don't think it says enough about you Alan.

;)

Er before I grab my coat, your wee dram and some bridies and scuttle off outa here I would use the black shiny plinth for the plaque, it adds even more gravitas to a completed dream.

I have loved every second of sharing it with you, learnt an immeasurable amount about railway carriages and how to design a dream properly.

Then build it, still highlighted by a granite bar top.

Wow!

Superb.

🧥

thanks for those very kind words Bill

On 10/23/2020 at 4:48 AM, CedB said:

I'm with Bill - shiny black plinth for the plaque - a great addition to a great build!

shiny black plinth it is then Ced

On 10/23/2020 at 8:00 AM, giemme said:

That's quite some view with the mirror in place, Alan! :worthy: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio

On 10/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

How about the whole hog, and do the Granite bar top effect on the plinth?.......Just cos you can.

ha!  Great idea... but NO!

On 10/23/2020 at 2:14 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Some American food can be like that.

:rofl2:

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

Stunning stuff Alan and I would also opt for the black plaque plinth. (Try saying that after a few beers!)

Ian

Thanks Ian.

A few quick jobs to finish off.

The mirror got glued in place

PA240002.jpg

and a quick peek of the underside

PA240011.jpg

The track end caps got glued in place

PA240005.jpg

Everything got cleaned up and dusted off as best I could

PA240003.jpg

The roof was finally lifted into place

PA240007.jpg

quick view from the front

PA240008.jpg

Then I finally pulled the display cover out of its packaging

PA240006.jpg

Look mom!   no train!

for the first time in 6 years, there is no Pullman car on my bench - it's a strange feeling

PA250012.jpg

but not before I had painted up the plinth and added the plaque

PA250021.jpg

now follows a bunch of gratuitous shots, just because I took 'em...

PA250035.jpg

PA250037.jpg

PA250025.jpg

PA250030.jpg

PA250033.jpg

PA250026.jpg

PA250029.jpg

PA250022.jpg

Officially finished.

But...

I have decided that I really do not like the rod going full length of the roof as I feel it really detracts from the roof detail when viewed in the mirror. Therefore, I am going to attempt to make the support gantries in brass which will provide much stronger supports and I should be able to support the roof with a short cantilever.  Would you believe I cannot source brass H beam here in the US?  I'm going to have to order a bunch of material from the UK so it's going to take a few weeks for that to arrive.  That will give me a nice little break form this, and hopefully the brass gantries will not take to long.  They won't be exactly the same as the 3d printed ones but will be as close as I can get them given the tools I have .

but I'm still calling it finished!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

That's a first class job, or even better, a Pullman. You should be rightly proud of that. I hope your missus appreciates all your hard work and it has pride of place in the home.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be buried with it? :wicked:

• Haha 5

Hmm, just a thought (Alan hates me saying that)

Have you considered having a few tipsy travellers riding to perdition in luxury aboard the Hendexpress? (This is why Alan hates me saying that)

But no seriously, ain't this a treat huh.
Outstanding work in a field of its own, thanks for the ride H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!

I really wanted to make one of my trademark smartacre comments; you know the ones:

’Six years!...blah blah’

’Where’s the locomotive?...blah blah’

’66 page thread to build a hollow box?...blah blah’

All that kind of thing...

But really, in the end, all I can bring myself to say is:

Congratulations -that’s one of the most outstanding models I have ever seen! Superb!

• Thanks 1

An outstanding feat of creative construction Alan. It's thing of beauty. 

Of course the obvious tongue in cheek comment would have to be something to do with the choice of locomotive to complement it, for example a nice SR green unrebuilt Pacific would work, just saying.......

Well done that man!

Terry

• Haha 3

Well Alan, that is a mighty fine display you have created. After all these years, working in your basement at the railcar, I hope you aren’t fed up with it, because now you have to look at it for many years to come having it in your living room.🥴

I for one, wouldn’t mind having it in the living room. It is a fine display of a wonderful model. Be proud, not only have you had your role in the recreation of the 1:1, but you also succeeded in creating this absolutely gorgious model.

Hat off.

• Thanks 1

I'm very sad that this thread is coming to an end. It's always the first post that I turn to, and I have learned so much from your journey into the unknown. Congratulations on a superb piece of art.

That said, looking at the almost finished display, I want to see some colourful pots of flowers at each end. Don't ask me why, it's just an aberrant thought, but it's haunting me.....

• Haha 1

What a journey - and what a destination. Stunning model hendie and one you can be rightly proud of :) 

The rail ends and plaque look really smart and being able to see some chassis detail in the mirror is a bonus.

I agree with you that the support rod hides the detail but I'm wondering if you could try short steel rods while you're waiting for the brass bits? Did Bill suggest this earlier? You could fit and glue the supports and do some stress testing without the roof to avoid accidents? Those printed supports are pretty complex and might be hard to replace?

Just a thought…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well - there's really nowt I can say here that hasn't been said better by others.  But in defiance of that I'll just add that throughout this build my flabber has never been so gasted and the range of knowledge, skills materials and techniques you command Alan is both unnerving and inspiring...and that the result is testimony to the same.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thread revival!

No mouth to mouth required, just a swift kick and we’re back in business. 

Just as I was finishing off this marathon build back in, what was it… October of last year? I thought to myself, that it was such a shame I did not keep any souvenirs from the 1:1 build.  I know my name, along with others on the team is stamped on one of the shear plates in the vestibule end, but that’s not quite the same.

Actually, I did keep some mahogany blocks from the vestibule gangway, but my wife left those back in the UK when we emigrated. Now that the build was complete it would have been so cool to have had some of the 1:1 Pegasus to display beside this model. But that was over 20 years ago now and I am a continent away and no longer in contact with any of that team. Oh well, such is life.

Well, in what can only be described as a remarkable series of circumstance and coincidence, the end of my build was not the end of the story. Pull up a chair, throw another log on the fire, grab your Horlicks, and get settled in.

Unbeknownst to me, sometime around the middle of 2020, Pegasus incurred some water damage – any guesses where I’m going with this?

I’m not sure just how bad the water damage was, but the new owner apparently decided that was the opportunity to do a complete refurbishment of Pegasus.  So in October of last year just as I was finishing up the 1:32 build, the 1:1 Pegasus was scheduled to go to the doctors for the refurb, and here’s where fate got involved.

A tremendously resourceful fellow named Andrew, who we’ll call Andrew, to protect the innocent, decided to do some research on old Car 310 – and what do you know?  He came across my build thread and read through it.  Now, not only did he read through my build, but after trying various ways to contact me without success, he also took the time to register with the site so he could contact me personally via PM. That was back in January of ’21.

His out of the blue PM blew me away. Simple as that.  I can’t explain how excited I was when I read his message. It was fairly straightforward – he informed me that they had just completed the refit on Pegasus and he had saved some items – and would I be interested in having  them?  WHAT???

I couldn’t believe it.  How many planets had to align for all those circumstances to coincide?

Off course I jumped at the chance. Over the last 7 or 8 months we’ve been PM’ing back and forth trying to sort things out, but finally last month everything was in place for the shipment to happen. And happen, it did.

This week I was away in Chicago on business, and on my first day away, look what arrived…

P8130003-LI.jpg

Look - it's full of goodies

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3wOZjgGcJUbIjRyZvfAw

Sorry, not that type of goodies. :giggle:

This type of goodies

P8130004.jpg

What’s in it I hear you ask. Well, there’s this for starters: A curtain. A real curtain. From the real Pegasus. Perhaps even the one old Madge wiped her fingers on after scoffing that tea and scones on her birthday

P8130005.jpg

Then this, a piece of the carpet, which for some obscure reason decided to auto-rotate itself. The photo, not the carpet.

P8130006.jpg

Followed by this little section of granite from the bartop - remember that bartop that I thought was going to be such a struggle? Yet turned out to be one of my favorite items in the build

P8130007.jpg

Then we have a couple of brass hooks, and a pair of attendant call buttons. (You can get off your sides now, looks like we've stopped auto-rotating)

P8130008.jpg

And finally, to wrap up, we have the pièce de resistance, and a part that never in a gazillion years could I have imagined getting my hands on – a section of wall panel with the birds eye maple star inlay

P8130009.jpg

See - there's that Birds Eye Maple inlay I spent so long trying to figure out how to replicate.

P8130010.jpg

How can I sum this up?  I’m kinda lost for words. I am indebted to Andrew for going to all the trouble of tracking me down and reaching out to make contact. He didn’t know me from Adam and there was absolutely no reason for him to go to all this trouble to get these items into my hands.  I will forever be indebted to him for his generosity and kindness.

The question you are all asking now is what on earth am I going to do with these now that I have them?  Well, my current plan is to have a custom shadow box made up which will house these mementos and can be displayed alongside the Pegasus model.

Something along these lines

P8130011.jpg

So look out for another post sometime in the future when I manage to get that done.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful postscript.  What generosity of spirit from Andrew and what a fitting destination for such treasures.  Pleased for you Alan.

The section of wall panel is obviously the headline act, but I have to say that the call buttons speak to me as fascinating little curios.

• Like 5