Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

On 7/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

After you finish working in an ever diminishing space, have you ever considered become a gynaecologist?

:rofl2:

On 7/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, gunzo said:

Excellent finagling. I love the singleton seat- Billy No Mates?

Les

Pegasus, the only rail car with integral social distancing!

his pal can join him now Les

On 7/13/2020 at 1:39 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice to see you taking steps towards the finish line. 

They look good from here, Would a black marker pen around the edges help the demarcation?

Having struggled with a suitcase and carry on bag through train doorways in the past, how did they get the chairs in there?

I imagine the chairs were self assembly or they took out a window. The Dinette would be especially difficult.

Unless of course they took off the roof and used giant tweezers.

as far as I can remember Pete, the chairs went on just before the windows were put in

On 7/13/2020 at 1:45 AM, CedB said:

More beauty to behold - lovely update Alan and I really enjoyed gazing at the details, again :) 

Thanks Ced

On 7/13/2020 at 2:17 AM, Heather Kay said:

I won’t use any superlatives today, in case I run out of them later. It’s all the little fiddly bits that seem to take forever, but they take the model just that notch higher.

How did you know about my cooking? :penguin:

Thanks Heather.  I'm sure yours is the best tasting rubber chicken there is!

On 7/13/2020 at 2:51 PM, Pouln said:

Wow, but where is the cutlery and where are the glasses?😎

just kidding. Looks wonderful!

you mean these glasses Pouln?

P4250011.jpg

I have a bunch of them made, just not absolutely sure I want to include them or not

On 7/14/2020 at 2:50 AM, Noel Smith said:

Handle, my scratch built car models take a bout two years each to build on my spare time. Your Pullman model has to be one of the most well finished and detailed models that I have ever seen. All that internal veneer work, the intricate detailing and the superb livery paint job, lettering and lining out.Then all the furniture, carpets and small iems!  I can see why it has been a 5 year or so project

Someone suggested that you look for commissilons, but if you are like me the subject has to be of personal interest otherwise it just becomes a job.

Thanks Noel.  You hit the nail right on the head there.  I have to have some kind of connection, no matter how tenuous, to whatever I'm building.  Without that connection I don't feel I can do any build justice, and I think the mojo would depart very quickly.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:15 AM, TheBaron said:

:clap:Justly so.

Thanks Tony

On 7/15/2020 at 7:26 AM, perdu said:

Ni-i-i-ice.

Very nice.

Thanks Bill.

Now, where were we? Ah... Billy nae pals (Billy is Scottish).

During lunch times this week, I managed to nip downstairs and add the remaining tables and chairs. It was a nice feeling seeing it all come together.  The very last items were the 4 brass lamps in the dinette, which was a bit of an anti-climax really. (and I forgot to take a photo of that)

Take your seats ladies and gentlemen...

P7140005.jpg

View from one end of the dining area

P7140002.jpg

Then from the other.  I'd hate to be the person sitting in that seat next to the doorway at the end - you'd have to balance your plate on your knee

P7140006.jpg

It took me a long time to source that material for the mirrors, but I'm glad I persevered with the search. I think the mirrors really add another dimension and a little touch of reality to the overall scene

A quick view from outside 

P7140008.jpg

and that's about it folks.  Pretty boring stuff really.

All that's left is to stick the carlines on top and it's done.  I know I still have the additional roof to make but I'm treating that as a separate project.  Parts are being printed as I type and I hope to be able to get started on that project later today.

Just a few finishing touches and a final clean up is all that remains.  Getting rid of all the dust and cobwebs is going to take some serious effort - I think I'll wait until the display case arrives otherwise more dust will just accumulate.

6 years in the making, it's kind of hard to believe that there's no more Pegasus bits to be made.  I'll be honest - I am very pleased with the outcome, and even more pleased that I managed to get this far.  Had I known the challenges that were going to present themselves during this build I probably never would have started it.  I think I thought it was going to take me around 2 years to construct this :fraidnot:

The decals were an item I never would have imagined causing so much delay and frustration, however, once I managed to source them things started moving a lot quicker. - and thank heavens for 3D printing - a technology that snuck it's head in the door at some point through this build. Purchasing that printer was one of the best investments I've made - it really opened up the door to what's possible for the model maker and without it I really would have been struggling to make some of the components such as door handles and lamps etc. 

6 years.  Hard to believe. 

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, hendie said:

Pretty boring stuff really.

I most strongly beg to differ! It may have been six long years, but it was certainly worth the effort, and one hell of an interesting ride. I'm glad you sold me that ticket.

9 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'll be honest - I am very pleased with the outcome

I should jolly well think you are. One to be proud of, and to look back on with a smile of satisfaction in the future.

And, as you say, new technology has come along at just the right time to help to make the finishing touches. The Devil is certainly in the detail.

It's been a pleasure to watch and to participate where I could. Thank you.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations with this fantastic result! A true masterpiece I dare say. I wasn't there for the full 6 but it's been fun to watch this come together. Wow!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I most strongly beg to differ! It may have been six long years, but it was certainly worth the effort, and one hell of an interesting ride. I'm glad you sold me that ticket.

I should jolly well think you are. One to be proud of, and to look back on with a smile of satisfaction in the future.

And, as you say, new technology has come along at just the right time to help to make the finishing touches. The Devil is certainly in the detail.

It's been a pleasure to watch and to participate where I could. Thank you.

Pete

Pete - thanks for your comments. Most kind!

52 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Congratulations with this fantastic result! A true masterpiece I dare say. I wasn't there for the full 6 but it's been fun to watch this come together. Wow!

Thanks Jeroen!

Now...

Bonus post!  (or penalty post depending upon your viewpoint!)

Today turned out nice so I though I should take Pegasus outside for some shots in natural lighting.  She's (He's?) been locked in my dungeon of a basement for the last six years and never seen the light of day until now.

Caveat - I am no photographer and the camera really isn't up to much - but those are the tools I have to hand so it is what it is.

This was one of the very last acts of contrition... sorry, construction on Pegasus, the fitting of the door between the bar and the dining area. Once it was in place I decided that I needed to show hinges.  The "hinges" were in fact some parts I photo etched for Pegasus a few years ago but never used.  They were intended to be the escutcheon plates for the door handles but looked the part for masquerading as hinges when placed side by side.

P7180043.jpg

I won't bore you with any more details and just post a bunch of photos from Pegasus' outing this morning. (commentary only when necessary)

P7180054.jpg

P7180034.jpg

P7180062.jpg

P7180060.jpg

P7180014.jpg

P7180035.jpg

P7180027.jpg

P7180052.jpg

P7180019.jpg

P7180025.jpg

P7180046.jpg

P7180036.jpg

should really have taken this shot from the sunny side and not from the shaded side

P7180040.jpg

P7180037.jpg

P7180022.jpg

P7180058.jpg

P7180059.jpg

P7180010.jpg

P7180053.jpg

P7180012.jpg

P7180028.jpg

P7180032.jpg

P7180021.jpg

P7180020.jpg

P7180049.jpg

P7180013.jpg

P7180026.jpg

P7180023.jpg

P7180031.jpg

that_s_all_folks__by_surrimugge-d6rfav1.

glad to have had you along for the ride.  

• Like 23

6 years, and only a measly 10 pages per year.........I dunno!

When does it get it's FTR exam?

That's one hell of a job, and don't forget to put your little carriage in the sales cabinet, and stock the bar!!

Inside the front cover of this month's Railway Magazine, is a photo spread with Pegasus at the front of the Pullman consist, tucked in behind a pair of class 37s,

Taken back in 2008. Quite appropriate I thought.

What's next, after the roof? How about a nice rebuilt Merchant Navy class?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hendie said:

1 hour ago, hendie said:

you mean these glasses Pouln?

I have a bunch of them made, just not absolutely sure I want to include them or not

I can understand it if you wouldn’t

• Like 1

What? Are you done already? What should we do now on BM?

Seriously, you have created a thing of absolute beauty. A model you can be very, very proud of.

Sincere thanks for taking us with you on this long journey.

• Like 1

Seconded!

The level of detail you've achieved is superb Alan.

I bet you could press that little button to flush the toilet.

Hinges on the doors look amazing.

Marble top and chrome bars on the bar.

Etc etc etc.

Thanks for sharing - and looking forward to the roof! :) 

• Like 2

Outstanding.

It's rare to have a subject on Britmodeller I have personal knowledge in, so I've enjoyed every little reveal along the way.

The use of multi media has been a fascinating journey by itself (can I justify getting a 3D printer????).

6 years and still a bit to go. Well worth the wait.

Of course, @CedB would have banged this out in 6 days :giggle:

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, hendie said:

Take your seats ladies and gentlemen...

Absolute scenes on Platform 1 as the crowd beat each other aside with their satchels to get a better look at this masterpiece.

Stunning Alan, simply stunning.

The daylight loves it.

As does I. 👏👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely bloody brilliant, Ever since I found this thread it has been a must to view, and an incentive to do whatever I'm doing (sometimes not a lot) MUCH better.

A couple of minor observations: I don't remember the seats being quite that blue... but in the mid 70's they may will have been aged with a little 'dirt'

And - I think that you could restrict the carlines to the ends of the carriage - it give the impression of the roof without getting in the way of all that glorious detail...

Man, I want to see this in the flesh.

• Like 1

I was going to say that it's an exceptional achievement, but even that seems understating it. Without doubt this has been one of the most remarkable builds I have ever seen, and it's been a pleasure to follow.

I wonder how many more years you would still been working on it if it wasn't for 3D printing coming along and getting affordable, at just the right time?

• Like 3

Alan, this has to be one of the best model engineering projects I've ever seen. Calling it mere modelling doesn't do it justice. 

Thanks for the ride, and for the pics in daylight. They really show it well!

Ian

Ps what's next? We're dying to know! 

• Like 1

wow, that's a lot of responses. Thanks folks!

On 7/18/2020 at 2:51 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

6 years, and only a measly 10 pages per year.........I dunno!

When does it get it's FTR exam?

That's one hell of a job, and don't forget to put your little carriage in the sales cabinet, and stock the bar!!

Inside the front cover of this month's Railway Magazine, is a photo spread with Pegasus at the front of the Pullman consist, tucked in behind a pair of class 37s,

Taken back in 2008. Quite appropriate I thought.

What's next, after the roof? How about a nice rebuilt Merchant Navy class?

I've been following a few builds in the floaty section but nice as they are, I haven't had the urge (yet)

6 years?  I know.   The real Pegasus only took us two years

On 7/18/2020 at 3:16 PM, gunzo said:

Will the public ever see this tour de force in the 'flesh', perhaps one of next year's major shows?

les

Les, I'm based in the US so it's very unlikely that it will ever be seen at any of the shows

On 7/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, Pouln said:

I can understand it if you wouldn’t

Nothing is set in stone yet!

On 7/18/2020 at 3:50 PM, Pouln said:

What? Are you done already? What should we do now on BM?

Seriously, you have created a thing of absolute beauty. A model you can be very, very proud of.

Sincere thanks for taking us with you on this long journey.

Thanks Pouln

On 7/18/2020 at 3:52 PM, perdu said:

A totally wonderful experience, watching Pegasus rising.

Thank you for the journey H.

Your welcome Bill

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded!

The level of detail you've achieved is superb Alan.

I bet you could press that little button to flush the toilet.

Hinges on the doors look amazing.

Marble top and chrome bars on the bar.

Etc etc etc.

Thanks for sharing - and looking forward to the roof! :) 

Thanks Ced.  Roof in progress

15 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Outstanding.

It's rare to have a subject on Britmodeller I have personal knowledge in, so I've enjoyed every little reveal along the way.

The use of multi media has been a fascinating journey by itself (can I justify getting a 3D printer????).

6 years and still a bit to go. Well worth the wait.

Of course, @CedB would have banged this out in 6 days :giggle:

Of course, @CedB would have done it wheels up!    and cut the legs off all the chairs!

yes, you can easily justify getting a 3D printer - they're all the rage don't you know.  Look at it this way - the Elegoo is about the same price as a few decent kits these days

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Absolute scenes on Platform 1 as the crowd beat each other aside with their satchels to get a better look at this masterpiece.

Stunning Alan, simply stunning.

The daylight loves it.

As does I. 👏👏👏👏

Thanks Tony. Carrying it outside and back in again was a bit worrying but thankfully job accomplished with no untoward events

10 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Absolutely bloody brilliant, Ever since I found this thread it has been a must to view, and an incentive to do whatever I'm doing (sometimes not a lot) MUCH better.

A couple of minor observations: I don't remember the seats being quite that blue... but in the mid 70's they may will have been aged with a little 'dirt'

And - I think that you could restrict the carlines to the ends of the carriage - it give the impression of the roof without getting in the way of all that glorious detail...

Man, I want to see this in the flesh.

Jo, in the mid 70's I believe the seats were some shade of brown. This was based on the 2000 rebuild.  To be honest I was very pleased with how close I came to getting the blue right - based on all the photographic evidence I have

10 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Be great to see it with a standard pullman dining car next to it...... (ducks)

INCOMING!!!

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Defiining this job as "modelling" is a vast understatement: this is a work of art! :worthy: :worthy: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio

7 hours ago, Svedberg said:

Marvellous! Beyond words! 

Thanks Svedberg

7 hours ago, Gorby said:

I was going to say that it's an exceptional achievement, but even that seems understating it. Without doubt this has been one of the most remarkable builds I have ever seen, and it's been a pleasure to follow.

I wonder how many more years you would still been working on it if it wasn't for 3D printing coming along and getting affordable, at just the right time?

That's a great thought Gorby.   I reckon at least another three or four years and I think there would still be some parts I would never have made to my satisfaction.  Give it another year or so and printers will be down to the $100+ range.

6 hours ago, Brandy said:

Alan, this has to be one of the best model engineering projects I've ever seen. Calling it mere modelling doesn't do it justice. 

Thanks for the ride, and for the pics in daylight. They really show it well!

Ian

Ps what's next? We're dying to know! 

Something closer to your usual subject matter Ian.  I shall no doubt be calling on your wealth of knowledge in the coming months

Thanks again for all your comments folks, I really appreciate them and it fills me with a sense of pride that so many of you hold this build in such high regard.  I think I have accomplished what I set out to achieve all those years ago, and in some instances I have even surprised myself at how things turned out.

Work on the roof commenced this weekend and progress has been good though I think it's not going to be quite as easy as I first thought, but nothing that presents too much of a problem. Suffice to say there is going to be a LOT of sanding involved over the coming weeks.  After all that fotofest of yesterday I thought I'd give your eyes a rest and I'll post whenever I have something more substantial to show

Thanks again all !!!

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Now, the all important question. What does SWMBO think of all you efforts, and does she know how long it took?

Just the usual. Oh... that's your train. yes, very nice.   

Then she about turns and goes off to do something more interesting

I didn't expect anything less to be honest.

• Haha 7

I feel I have been short changed.  I seem to have missed the first 3 years and didn’t start following until 2017.  I couldn’t ever see the point at which your standards would let you call it done to be honest. But done she is, and what a piece of work.  Going to miss this thread a lot.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Now all you need to do is start sculpting some passengers out of milli-putt!

No need. 

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/town-and-country/1998-present-tc/seated-people-1998-present-tc/

I use figures from this company and they are superbly rendered and realistic. Well, they would be, as they’re scanned from real living humans.

• Like 2