Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

On 4/29/2020 at 11:58 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

Do the supports appear automatically when designing/printing or do you have to add them to the plan?

there is an automatic support function in the slicing software that can be used.  My last few prints I have been adding supports manually (just click a spot and the support is created) as I find the automatic function generally goes into a bit of overkill and also adds supports where you don't really want them.

With the chair, I did use the automatic function, then deleted what I didn't want and added a few more at strategic locations.

The biggest issue is trying to figure out what orientation you want the part to be printed in.  That orientation can drastically increase or reduce the number of  supports you need to add, and it can also drastically alter your total print time - which is the height of your print /  layer thickness, and exposure time  per layer

The software has come a long way in the last six months with (I think) three new releases.  The supports function in particular has really improved.  If they keep improving at this rate it's going to be a nice piece of software.

• Like 3

Recently I found this thread and was going to all that huge amount of pages here of your very impressive work! Well done in all aspects of modeling!

Now I have to speak up: The printed curtain do not match the level of your other work. I don't like them. I think the main reason is, that they block the light completely while real curtains let some light through. Or is the back side black on real ones?

May be it is a different story, if you print them in clear resin and paint afterwards. But I think real cloth would be better. HGW creates seatbelts on very thin fabric, but I don't know where to find that raw material.

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 11:51 PM, hendie said:

Luckily I had a spare heater box

Of course you did! :laugh:

On 4/29/2020 at 12:57 AM, hendie said:

Would you believe those curtains are only 0.3mm thick?

Yes, yes I would. 

Chairs a perfect example of what 3d printing brings to the traditional mix, especially when multiples are needed. A lovely series of updates Alan and most interesting to see how many of your critical judgements at this stage are about ensembles of colour and texture as much as form. Your knowledge of the original subject really shining through now.

Interesting also to see the effects of UV on the clear Elegoo stuff - trying to understand though why they would knowingly produce a clear resin that (understandably, due to photochemistry) subsequently discolours in it (as many materials will). Am I missing something about this being a self-defeating exercise? Conversely I like @Bughunters suggestion that this a perfect medium for (semi) transparent fabric effects.

You haven't revealed yet how you're going to be handling the condensation on the kitchen window; 0.3mm might be a bit over scale for the clear droplets imo.

Have I mentioned that every return here to catch up I'm mentally humming the 'Time for Tellytubbies!' theme tune in excited anticipation?

• Haha 3

On 5/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, Massimo said:

Those interiors are just astonishing!!!!

Those chairs and curtains are superb and the wooden walls and heater boxes look fabulous!!!

Well done!!!

Thanks Massimo

On 5/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, Bughunter said:

Recently I found this thread and was going to all that huge amount of pages here of your very impressive work! Well done in all aspects of modeling!

Now I have to speak up: The printed curtain do not match the level of your other work. I don't like them. I think the main reason is, that they block the light completely while real curtains let some light through. Or is the back side black on real ones?

May be it is a different story, if you print them in clear resin and paint afterwards. But I think real cloth would be better. HGW creates seatbelts on very thin fabric, but I don't know where to find that raw material.

Cheers,

Frank

Welcome Frank.   I went back and checked my files.  The spec for the curtains calls for black out material as a backing for the curtains so no light would be getting through.

I like your idea, but printing them in clear resin wouldn't make any difference - in order to get the appropriate color, I would need to paint them, and paint works by being opaque, so even if the curtains were clear, the paint would prevent any light getting through. Someone with good skills in airbrushing (not me!) may be able to get away with very light coats, but the fact that it's blue/turquoise on the inside and white on the outside would mean that the paint would have to be thick enough for the opposite color not to show through.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:36 AM, TheBaron said:

Of course you did! :laugh:

Yes, yes I would. 

Chairs a perfect example of what 3d printing brings to the traditional mix, especially when multiples are needed. A lovely series of updates Alan and most interesting to see how many of your critical judgements at this stage are about ensembles of colour and texture as much as form. Your knowledge of the original subject really shining through now.

Interesting also to see the effects of UV on the clear Elegoo stuff - trying to understand though why they would knowingly produce a clear resin that (understandably, due to photochemistry) subsequently discolours in it (as many materials will). Am I missing something about this being a self-defeating exercise? Conversely I like @Bughunters suggestion that this a perfect medium for (semi) transparent fabric effects.

You haven't revealed yet how you're going to be handling the condensation on the kitchen window; 0.3mm might be a bit over scale for the clear droplets imo.

Have I mentioned that every return here to catch up I'm mentally humming the 'Time for Tellytubbies!' theme tune in excited anticipation?

I think the clear resin is good as long as you don't overdo the UV exposure Tony. I've painted up some of the lights later in this post and the clear still looks good at this point anyway.

The mojo was waning a bit this week so I purposely stayed away from the build and concentrated on some 3D modeling for another project which is now printing as I type. Come the weekend though, I was all set for another session.  Cue the wife... "I just bought a dining table and some chairs, let's go and pick it up".  What she didn't tell me was that it was 7 ft x 3 ft with 8 chairs and an interleaf.

Several hours later I managed to get home with the table (still fully assembled) and the 8 chairs all stuffed in my old beater, the 2005 Town & Country.  Say what you like about those things but it's amazing just what you can cram into one.

So eventually I managed to get within arms reach of the build and I had completely forgot that what was awaiting me was painting. Well, nothing for it but to dive in and get it done.  I hate painting, especially hand painting and I had airbrushing followed by hand painting for a good number of hours today.

Apologies beforehand for the quality of the photos but the camera must have been on some weird setting and I didn't notice.

First up were the curtains. Primed and then sprayed matt white on the outside face. That was followed by a custom mix - and for once I think I got a great match to the actual color I was trying to achieve.  This was a mix of French Blue, Matt white, and a drop or two of yellow.  I managed to airbrush the majority of the curtains but had to hand paint the tie back and the return as it came around to meet the white. Then hand painted the hem along the bottom of the curtains which was a real pig to do.  Overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome though the blue is pretty flat. I may give it a coat of satin to try and provide some accentuation on the colors.  I can't see me getting away with the usual methods of weathering here - the curtains would just end up looking dirty.

P5090009.jpg

Then it was eye strain time. Painting some of the interior lights.  These were incredibly difficult to paint as the parts were so clear you couldn't see any detail on the light itself until you had applied paint to it - with a 000 Brush!  There's no making mistakes painting these - being so clear, it's impossible to remove paint if it gets on the wrong area and the part is scrap.

That 'splodge' at the bottom of each light isn't a splodge - it's a fleur de lis shape (sort of) rising from the bottom of the light.  The two chromed lights are for the bar area.

I can see in this photo that need to go back and paint a couple of missed spots.  oh goody!

P5090007.jpg

The table brackets also got a coat of brass but it's way too shiny I think.  I'll give them a matt coat to dull that brightness down.

P5090010.jpg

Two brass hand rails are required for the corridor / dining area. I suppose to prevent drunken fare paying passengers from falling out the windows of an evening. 

In order to make sure I got the handrails level and all at the same height I made a small fixture to help me get a repeatable location when drilling.

P5030001.jpg

1st hand rail dry fitted (and checking the curtains would still fit)

P5030003.jpg

I need to make some mounting plates for the hand rails - I don't think it looks right with the rod just disappearing into the woodwork.

Just for kicks I stuck one of the new lights in place - it fits!  That's much better than my last attempt.  The blue tinge btw is the blu-tack I used to mount it shining through. Based on that, I'll need to paint the back of the lights before fitting them to the wall. (and remove all the dust)

P5030004.jpg

As is almost always the case - when checking thought my reference photo's again I spotted that the wall cabinets in the bar had a chromed bar along the back of the cabinet.  I believe this was for mounting those upside down bottle holders thingies - and before you ask... no!  I'm not going to make them!

I did think I should add the chromed bar though.  That was relatively simple - a small styrene strip covered with aluminum tape, then I used a short length of wood to give me the level, and stuck them on.

P5080005.jpg

Both done.

P5080006.jpg

and I couldn't resist throwing a couple of bottles in there.  Note to self: must make some labels for the bottles

P5090011.jpg

To finish up today, it was time for the obligatory dry fit of assorted bits.

P5090012.jpg

and I may as well add a table lamp, a bottle and a couple of glasses (that can hardly be seen)

P5090014.jpg

I find those dry fits are always a mojo lifter.  This is really starting to look like what my vision of Pegasus would look like when I started this all those years ago. Still quite a ways to go though.

I'm glad I redid the chairs as they look so much better then the originals.

P5090016.jpg

I think I am going to have to reprint those table lamps. As nice as they are, I think they are oversized now that I see this all together.  The top of the lamp should only come up as far as the bottom of the sliding windows.  That lamp being so large gives it a toy-like appearance imo

Stay safe and cosy folks.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

My memory of the table lamps (40 years ago) was that they didn't interfere with the view across the table, so conversations were easy. i.e. below eye level.

Stunning work as always, Hendie.

Wow, what an update! More great work hendie :) 

All looking stunning, especially the painted curtains and lamps.

How about (here it comes) some green paint syringed into some of the bottles (to keep the glassy outside) and some red wine in the glasses? Are they hollow enough?

All looking very 'Pegasus', amazing.

I looked up the '2005 Town & Country' by the way and now realise why PC commented on my T-Roc's lack of 'trunk space'.

If that's a 'minivan' what the heck do 'vans' looks like?

Massive.

• Like 2

Great update Alan, the curtains, lights etc all look perfect. I have to admit though that I keep being astonished each time I see the latest adidtion. Glasses, bottles, what next? Please take the Mrs' advice and put the lid down!

Ian

Curtains, chairs, wall lights and shiny bits. Excellent comeback from your other job as a furniture removals man.

Upside down bottle thingies = Optics. I don't think they'd work with the rod across the front anyway.

21 hours ago, hendie said:

think the clear resin is good as long as you don't overdo the UV exposure

Good to know Alan, thanks.

That glassware and those lights are just perfect scale accents against the wider interior. How far down the ashtray and cutlery rabbithole are you intending to go? (Don't  be expecting us to be any kind of restraint on such matters... 😁)

• Like 1

You’re right about the table lamp, now that, you scaled down the chairs, it does seem a wee bit tall. Speaking of rabbit holes I found a great source for pico and nano sizes of SMD LEDS when I was lighting up my Pocher Mercedes. Just in case you want to add some ambiance to the dining car section for dinner and drinks 🍷 lol . Looking good, when can we start booking? 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jo NZ said:

My memory of the table lamps (40 years ago) was that they didn't interfere with the view across the table, so conversations were easy. i.e. below eye level.

Stunning work as always, Hendie.

Useful info, thanks Jo.  I've reworked the lamps and printed off some today - we'll see how they look tomorrow

On 5/10/2020 at 3:05 AM, CedB said:

Wow, what an update! More great work hendie :) 

All looking stunning, especially the painted curtains and lamps.

How about (here it comes) some green paint syringed into some of the bottles (to keep the glassy outside) and some red wine in the glasses? Are they hollow enough?

All looking very 'Pegasus', amazing.

I looked up the '2005 Town & Country' by the way and now realise why PC commented on my T-Roc's lack of 'trunk space'.

If that's a 'minivan' what the heck do 'vans' looks like?

Massive.

The glass and bottles are hollow Ced.  I like the idea of some wine in the glasses though - I must try and see what I can do

Yeah I never could quite get why they call it a minivan.  It's been a  great car though - 7 seats so when friends or family came visiting we could all fit in the one vehicle. It's past its sell by date now so I just keep it as an emergency back up and for those times when we need space to move stuff

On 5/10/2020 at 6:04 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Or possibly some Tamiiya clear paints for the bottles and glasses?

I tried adding some clear blue and clear red to a couple of bottles but they didn't look convincing.  I need to do something with at least a couple of them though so we'll try something else further down the line. I'm very reluctant to buy more paint just for one or two drops of a color that I'll likely never use again.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:56 AM, harveyb258 said:

Words fail me, Hendie......:thumbsup:

thanks Harvey - they fail me often too

On 5/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, limeypilot said:

Great update Alan, the curtains, lights etc all look perfect. I have to admit though that I keep being astonished each time I see the latest adidtion. Glasses, bottles, what next? Please take the Mrs' advice and put the lid down!

Ian

don't worry Ian, the lid is firmly down. psst - don't tell anyone but I'm hoping to start fitting all that by next weekend if it all goes to plan

On 5/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Curtains, chairs, wall lights and shiny bits. Excellent comeback from your other job as a furniture removals man.

Upside down bottle thingies = Optics. I don't think they'd work with the rod across the front anyway.

Ah... optics, that what the term I was looking for.  I've seen photos of Pegasus with and without optics and I'm sure the rail was there in both cases.

On 5/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, TheBaron said:

Good to know Alan, thanks.

That glassware and those lights are just perfect scale accents against the wider interior. How far down the ashtray and cutlery rabbithole are you intending to go? (Don't  be expecting us to be any kind of restraint on such matters... 😁)

a few napkins and that should be about it Tony.  No AP's, clipboards or pens on this build

On 5/10/2020 at 7:53 PM, larchiefeng said:

You’re right about the table lamp, now that, you scaled down the chairs, it does seem a wee bit tall. Speaking of rabbit holes I found a great source for pico and nano sizes of SMD LEDS when I was lighting up my Pocher Mercedes. Just in case you want to add some ambiance to the dining car section for dinner and drinks 🍷 lol . Looking good, when can we start booking? 

I did in a moment of madness consider adding lighting at one time - but I'm already 6 years into this so NO !

Just a small update this time around.  Things seem to be taking forever to accomplish these days.  It seems the closer you get to the finish line the longer things take, or it could just be that now I am getting to all the finicky stuff.  

It's curtain fitting time!   I tried shading them but it failed miserably so I settled with a satin clear coat, I'm not really a soft furnishings type of guy anyway.

I wanted to make sure the curtains stayed in place once fitted so thought about using the tie backs as a securing feature.  Looking though my stash I found some nice brass rivets which fitted nicely into the center of the pommel I had created in the tie-backs.  At least they would once I had drilled a hole for them. Luckily I also have some stainless rivets when it comes to doing the curtains in the bar area since it's all chrome finished

P5140006.jpg

The pommels were drilled through and I offered the curtains up to the side frame and drilled through the woodwork for the rivet, adding a touch of superglue to the rivet as it was inserted.   Curtains should be nice and secure now.  As soon as the curtains were fitted I could add the pelmets which finished off the paneling nicely. 

P5160009.jpg

Table brackets were glued in place - the brass paint was very glossy so I gave them a misting of semi matt and they look a lot better now

I just need to get moving and finish off the tables now

P5160007.jpg

Over the last few months I've had that same side frame fixed but never actually looked at that side of the carriage.  Now it was time to carefully turn it around and see what the curtains looked like from outside.

P5160013.jpg

I'll take that! 

With only lights and luggage racks to fit (until I remember something else I've no doubt forgotten about), it was time to fit the other side frame - and what a job that was!

I won't tell you how long I spent trying to get the second side frame bolted into position - I'll just tell you that the watchmakers kit I ordered provided teeny weeny bolts of various lengths, but what they didn't tell you was that there was more than one thread size... but only one size of nut!!!!

Of course I had picked the wrong threaded bolts.  I can't believe it took me so long to figure that out. Idiot!

But it's on now

P5160010.jpg

It's going to be tight working in there

P5160012.jpg

So, more progress achieved but still loads more to do.

I did consider trying to do all the paneling before the side frame was fitted but that presents a different set of problems so I'm going to have a go with the side frame in place and see how it goes

Edited by hendie
  • Like 17

Ooh that last one is a nice shot! You should get a mini camera in there when it's all finished so you can take inside shots. Just a thought 🙂 

• Like 4

Suffering (suffering? bloody enjoying, more like!) premature gobsmacking Alan

Never fails to raise my spirits when I get here thank you

You should be available on The National Health Service

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:35 AM, JeroenS said:

Ooh that last one is a nice shot! You should get a mini camera in there when it's all finished so you can take inside shots. Just a thought 🙂 

good idea, I'll need to  see if  I can find one cheap enough - thanks

On 5/17/2020 at 2:01 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Good progress and a couple of very nice (and different) pictures. Impressive stuff.

we aim to please Pete.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:54 AM, CedB said:

Great progress Hendie and nice and clean - I see you've had the Hoover out! :) 

hoover? HOOVER?   I printed up a 1/32 Dyson and let it do the rounds Ced

On 5/17/2020 at 2:59 AM, TheBaron said:

It's curtains for you mister.

(and a sweet solution to attaching them also!)

I'm waiting for my Elegoo Super Dooper Pro Plus GTI that allows me to print plaid

On 5/17/2020 at 3:24 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

The comparison between the two sides is a wonderful illustration of the work needed to achieve the standard that you have.

Wonderful.

and a timely reminder of  just how much work I have still ahead of me

On 5/17/2020 at 9:48 AM, perdu said:

Suffering (suffering? bloody enjoying, more like!) premature gobsmacking Alan

Never fails to raise my spirits when I get here thank you

You should be available on The National Health Service

Thanks Bill.  NHS?  you really don't appreciate a service like that until you've had experience with the money grabbing monster that is the American medical service

on a sweeter note though, more outbreaks of modeling have taken place.  I even took a days vacation today so I could dwell down in the basement away from the sunshine and warmth.

Luggage racks were printed up and turned out surprisingly well.  I had tried printing these before but the previous version did not have the shelves fitted, only the brackets.  I found that although they printed out fine, they were too flimsy to actually handle.  This time I added the shelves and hoped they would turn out okay.

P5170001.jpg

They were still very flimsy though even with the shelves which was no real surprise - the shelves are only about 0.3 mm thick.  They were still problematic to handle. Prior to going under the UV light they were still soft and a bit floppy and if I removed the supports before the UV, there was a chance they would warp under the heat/light. On the flip side, after they'd been under the UV, they hardened up but became very brittle. Out of 5 printed, I lost two to the parts snapping while I was trimming the supports - even the small amount of flex introduced by the act of snipping was enough to  make the shelves break.  I lost another one part to  a bit breaking off while  I was drilling - I'm drilling a 0.6 mm bit into  a 1.2 mm boss so that only leaves 0.3 mm around - if I've got the drill dead center.  I'll make sure I print plenty extra when I do the next run.

Primed and painted, they do look good though - but still very fragile

P5180006.jpg

Then some 0.5 mm rod inserted to help provide a bit  of strength and some visual  appeal. There's 4 lengths of rod per luggage rack. 

Drilling each rack is a ridiculous effort - I have to start with a 0.3 mm drill then step up to a 0.5 mm bit then a 0.6 mm bit.... 12 times on each rack..  Then just to make matters worse, the 4 holes in the center bracket are too far for a standard drill bit to reach so I have to go in at all sorts of weird angles and try not to break the darned thing.  Worth it in the end though - I just hope I have made them the right size as I had to  guess on dimensions from photos

P5190007.jpg

Another time consuming task were the doors leading into the car from the corridors.  As before, I had to  make a laminate and sandwich the 'glass' in between two layers of basswood. 

P5190009.jpg

This was one of those jobs where you do a bit - then have to  wait for  glue to dry, then do a bit  more, wait for glue to dry etc.  Then I've got to go around and stain all the fresh edges, and only once that's all done can I clear coat the doors.  Yes, I checked - the doors leading into the corridors have bigger windows than the door between the bar and dining area.

P5200012.jpg

The bathroom finally got it's mirror fitted - that was one of those easy jobs.  Now I could begin fitting the bathroom...

P5170002.jpg

Everything begins with the usual dry fit to make sure it all goes together according to plan

P5170003.jpg

Eeek!   Wait!  This wasn't in the plan...

P5180005.jpg

I found that several panels I had made previously had developed a rather obvious warp.  I guess it's not surprising since they've lain around for three or four years at least.

However, it gave me pause for thought and I couldn't help but be concerned that even straight panels could warp over time.  To that end I had to compromise with longevity as the prime aim as opposed to accuracy. 

My chosen solution was to use a wood/plastic/wood lamination on strategic panels to add strength and prevent future warping.  The panel to  the left of the dinette has been laminated while the panel between the bathroom and dinette has had the plastic (1 mm thick styrene) added but still awaiting the final wood lamination to be applied.  It means I've had to  fudge dimensions a little and the dinette is now  2 mm narrower than designed, but at least I'll be able to sleep at night now.  No doubt that 2 mm shortage will throw up some other problems when I finish off the paneling in there.

P5200011.jpg

The dinette panel from the dining area

P5200013.jpg

Then back to dry fitting - checking everything is square to the side frames and to other panels, and that all the panels meet up as they should with no gaps and with minimal work needed once fitted. (I can just about get my fingers into that corridor area so hopefully there won't be a lot of fettling to  be done in there.

P5200015.jpg

I then spent over an hour trying to get the flooring done for the bathroom.   The original design had some weird pattern on the floor and tiles were at 45° to the side frames.  Trying to get that pattern somewhere in the middle of the floor without being partially obscured by any of the fittings was fun and a half.

I ended up with bits of templates taped to each other to get the outline correct then carefully cut out one of the few pieces of (ink) printed flooring I have left and assembled everything in place.  I think that's about as good as I'm going to get it.  Now all I've got to do is glue that flooring in place and I can assemble the bathroom

P5200018.jpg

I'm sure I made a toilet roll way back in the past decade for this... didn't I ?   I'll need to ratch about all the parts boxes to see if I can find it

... or maybe just print one 😉

• Like 17

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Drilling each rack is a ridiculous effort - I have to start with a 0.3 mm drill then step up to a 0.5 mm bit then a 0.6 mm bit.... 12 times on each rack

Wasn't there a Greek myth involving these labours? Drillmenides and the Racks of Heaven or summat....

I found that several panels I had made previously had developed a rather obvious warp.  I guess it's not surprising since they've lain around for three or four years at least.

Dear Lord, he's been scale seasoning wood! 

I think that's about as good as I'm going to get it.

Resigns himself to slumming it with something that would be career-defining for the rest of us. :laugh:

One of the pleasures of watching this phase of your work Alan is seeing the various interiors really starting to come to collective life; less a case of looking at them than wandering through them. Brilliant results from all those strenuous efforts.

• Haha 6

Wow, what a(nother) great update - good to see it coming together hendie :) 

Dyson? Good choice, love 'em…

• Thanks 1

Out of this world and flying past several others now.

Just brilliant.

When I was a boy, (boy how many weeks ago was that huh?) I used to gaze in awe into the large cased ship models on display in Birmingham Science Museum and in the windows of certain travel agencies.

In awe did I say? My mom had to drag me away if there was shop with a display model in the window (we wouldn't ever be able to afford even thinking about sea cruises but!) that was where dreams and my delight of model making was born.

I see this delight developing from Alan and it takes me back there, I want to stand in that bathroom looking at myself in  the mirror and turning off the taps (faucets lads) when my  hands are clean.

Alan's Pullman is a transport to another place.

Thank you H, mate.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1