Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

On 06/11/2019 at 07:37, CedB said:

Grrnggfhh.... resist Ced, resist! :envy:

Amazing lamps Hendie. 

I am shocked, shocked I tell you to find gam PC and Cookie haven't persuaded you yet

Ah well, there will be Telford will there not

By Saturday evening you will be explaining how much it is going to help you re-discovering the wheel, have no fear...

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:03 PM, hendie said:

PB050008.jpg

Oh frack me I'm now wildly applauding a friend's lampshades and tablecloths. 🤦‍♂️

This forum has much to answer for....

Abundant encomium is yours at this latest outrage of excellence.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, Fritag said:

Dunno what’s more fun: watching hendie master the art of 3D printing; or Ced struggling to resist the lure of the same :D

The reboot of Men Behaving Badly is sounding promising then...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Waiter, there's a 3D printed fly in my soup! My, what lovely lamps you have, Sir.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:37 AM, CedB said:

Grrnggfhh.... resist Ced, resist! :envy:

Amazing lamps Hendie. 

But as is so often the case, after looking at them for some time, I think I am going to redo them.  I think the shades are good, but the lamp bases are just a touch too wide and the upstand a bit too thick methinks.

I think I'll knock a millimeter or so off the base width and maybe half a millimeter off the diameter of the upstand.  More playing with that 3D printer thingy.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:54 AM, Fritag said:

Dunno what’s more fun: watching hendie master the art of 3D printing; or Ced struggling to resist the lure of the same :D

oh, I think we can have a lot more fun with Ced yet Steve.  It's worth coming to the forum just for the Ced baiting.  (it is still legal isn't it??)

On 11/7/2019 at 2:48 AM, perdu said:

Sumptuous modelling H, I can't see this being beaten in vehicles although there is a Wessex somewhere else

👏👏

Yes, that Wessex thoroughly deserves to be beaten.  It is getting closer and closer to being finished though.  After that effort I don't see me ever doing another Wessex.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:40 AM, Max Headroom said:

Epic!

Having seen what I presume are your feet by the shiny new piece, I now understand how chuffing big (pun intended) this carriage happens to be.

Trevor

Remember, the carriage is small.  My feet are far away!

On 11/7/2019 at 11:30 AM, TheBaron said:

Oh frack me I'm now wildly applauding a friend's lampshades and tablecloths. 🤦‍♂️

This forum has much to answer for....

Indeed.  UV nail lamps, makeup brushes, sundry chemicals, and nail buffing sticks.  P.S You don't have any fringes that would suit my table lamps do you?

We are getting towards the end of decorating the end vestibules.  All the greeblies are on with the exception of the PassComm system hardware. 

This task was a bit fraught with danger as there were lots of little fiddly bits that had to line up to make a credible looking mechanism.  First up were two boxey things (either side of the warning sticker). The one on the right was made from aluminum, and the one on the left scratched from scrap styrene, Meng nuts and bolts and some brass wire.

PB090002.jpg

The next stage was to add the piping - the only way I could achieve this was to use superglue so I was taking no chances.  The piping was placed in situ and then little squares of masking tape added all around the mounting blocks, to ensure any errant superglue would not end up on the paintwork.  Thankfully, it all went to plan and no vestibules were harmed in the making of this one.

PB090004.jpg

Next up was the connecting linkages.  On most cars I've looked at, the linkage extends all the way up to the roof, but with Pegasus, it stops short of the roof and takes a right turn through the bellows. This actually helps me as I can finish off the whole job now instead of waiting until I have a roof on the car.

I cheated on this a little by not having the connecting rod go all the way through - it stops short once it is inside the bellows, but unless you peer up inside you'll never know.

In all my reference shots of Pegasus there is not one clear shot of the linkage, but after looking at other references I reckoned I could fake it enough to look convincing.  It was a bit of a kerfuffle though.  I used a single piece of brass rod with multiple bends to obtain something that sort of looked like it was a linkage with a couple of lever actuators.  The first one was relatively simple but the second took a couple of attempts - trying to match the lengths/angles and make them look symmetric.  That wasn't helped by the fact that I kept looking at one, and then bending the WIP the same way - when it should have been bent in the opposite direction.

PB090005.jpg

Difficult to see here, but I added 0.8mm nuts and bolts at each of the bends to create the illusion of things being bolted together.  It works for my eyesight.

PB100006.jpg

This closer shot doesn't really make it any clearer does it?  Maybes aye, maybes naw.

PB100007.jpg

The last piece of this jigsaw was to add the "flags" that will show when the emergency brake has been actuated. One side done.

PB100009.jpg

T'other side done.

PB100010.jpg

Fiddly stuff, and it took me most of the day but I'm happy with where I'm at.  All that left to finish off the vestibules now is to add the electrical cable and plugs, and some chain to hang them from the diaphragm. They will be rather fragile so I'm not sure if I'll do those yet, or wait until later in the build.

Work on the new side frame continues.  More sanding and the first coat of Pullman Cream.  It should come as no surprise to you that when I went to the store to pick up another aerosol, I found that the color I was using has been discontinued.  To be honest I wasn't even surprised at this, after all, it was about 3 years ago when I bought the first aerosols.  I may have *just* enough left in the current rattle can to finish the job off if I'm very careful - but we all know how that goes don't we?

Just like the order of two jars of Italian dark brown that I ordered two weeks ago... I didn't see anything happen in my paypal account so I called the hobby shop.  Only to be told their website hasn't worked in two years and they don't get any orders coming in through it.  They checked their stock, and of course they had none.  I did find someone on ebay who apparently has some but was charging ridiculous prices, however, I had no option but to go ahead order two jars

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

More amazing stuff hendie :) 

I hope the paint problem gets sorted - fingers crossed here. 

7 hours ago, hendie said:

oh, I think we can have a lot more fun with Ced yet Steve.  It's worth coming to the forum just for the Ced baiting.  (it is still legal isn't it??)

Me: “Mum, muuum, they’re being mean to me again!”

Mum (RIP bless her): “Oh for goodness sake, you’re a big boy now. Just ignore them and get on with playing with your models.”

Me: :weep:  “OK mummy. Can I have a MARS printer for Christmas please? Can I mum, can I?”

Mum: “We’ll see dear, we’ll see...”

(Checks letter to Santa, again)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

You’re not fooling me, young @CedB.  I could fail to mention that the very first thing you said to me at Telford on Saturday was “so, have you ordered a printer yet?”... or I could just go ahead and say it.  What is a man to do?

[No, I haven’t yet.  60th birthday 4 weeks today.  Either my brothers will have got my not-subtle hints... or there’s the old “present to self with deep love and admiration” ploy.]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 6

:rofl2:

If someone finds me a 3D model of an RAF WWII pilot that I can modify I will order one!

These guys (in Shrewsbury) offer scanning but I don’t think they give you the file - they print figures for you. I might ask...

Oh wait, what’s this?
Dither dither...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

But the pictures must still be at the shop being developed. I just get little grey boxes?

Me too. Older pictures still work though.

Forget that! Now they all of a sudden appeared. 😀

Edited by Svedberg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hello?!  Nudge...

quiet but not forgotten.

The final transfers layout is at the printer and I'm waiting to hear back... no idea how long that will take.  in the meantime I have been working on the sideframe - hopefully just about ready for the Umber coat.  I've also been working on some 3D stuff for printing - The small diamond windows needed a small modification, and took the opportunity to try the luggage racks (2 versions) and the main window, again 2 versions.

If things go according to plan, I may get to try and print them this weekend.

Talking of Sea Kings...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Luggage rack

2.png

Luggage rack V2.   Probably won't do this one and try using brass mesh on the rack above

3.png

Main window.  This version requires that I cut individual panes of glass to fit in the openings - with a land of about .25mm!

I've also done a second version which has a slit along the length so if it all goes well, I just need to cut one rectangle of glass and it will just slot into the frame, without having to be so accurate in my cutting.

1.png

The new diamond window is on the right, old version on the left.  I noticed that the top of the vent (on top of window) should be in line with the top edge of the main windows 

4.png

Provided there are no distractions this weekend, I should get some printing done.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Looking forward to the new windows and that brilliant luggage rack/ those brilliant luggage racks

Then wait no longer sir.

I had a bit of an issue with the software upgrade this week, but the support team provided a fix, so the models were prepared and set up for printing

5.png

Files then transferred to the printer... everything looking good

PC070009.jpg

but when it started printing, it appeared to be printing a solid block of plastic... not good!

PC070010.jpg

I stopped the print and investigated, and sure enough, it was printing one big solid block of plastic. Not good.

Thankfully, I have a newer laptop in the basement which appeared to have accepted the upgrade without any issues so I reran the files on that laptop and tried again

This time it appears to be printing the correct parts - in case you are wondering - those shapes are the base of the print which attaches to the build plate

PC070011.jpg

After a couple of hours it appears we have success. It always looks so bland when it first comes out of the tank

PC070014.jpg

but a quick wash in IPA and the details starts to show

PC070018.jpg

Some quick clean and the prints are a success.

PC070019.jpg

The luggage rack is incredibly flimsy so I may have to do some redesign work there to beef it up a bit. 

Very pleased with the diamond window though adn with the main windows though again, I may tweak the design just a touch next time around.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Very pleased with the diamond window

So you should be! 👏 

Quick question Alan: what informed your choices about printing the diamond window flat but the longer windows in an upright alignment? 

(Not asking for a friend...) 😁

Nightmare on that initial solid block print:  must have been the '2001 Monolith' default setting. Well sorted.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Quick question Alan: what informed your choices about printing the diamond window flat but the longer windows in an upright alignment? 

On the Shapeways print I noticed some light striations on the vent section, so thought having it lay flat would eliminate those visual marks as the outer surface would be printed as one complete layer. 

The main windows were printed upright mainly because in one of them there is a 0.2mm slot along the length and I thought it would be impossible to fit supports into that small a gap.  If I printed them laying flat there would be solid layers, then no layers for .2mm and then another solid layer - I thought it may detach and end up with an incomplete print 

I also took the anti aliasing down to 2 and that seems to have sharpened up the detail.  I might experiment with no anti-aliasing next time to see how much impact it really has.

What I did find is that I can print detail that is far too delicate for me to handle.  The luggage rack for example, has printed with all the detail, but the part is so flimsy I don't think I'll have a manageable way to handle it. 

The parts should have stiffened up a good deal from yesterday though.  I was handling them while they were fresh out of the ultrasonic bath, so they were still warm and very pliable.  I'll see what they are like when I get down there today

• Like 5

Very impressive there Hendie. I may have to look into one of these myself! 

When you were deciding which model to go for, was there any particular reason for resin over plastic?

Ian

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

When you were deciding which model to go for, was there any particular reason for resin over plastic?

The resin printers are much more user buffoon friendly.  I've read horror stories of trying to get the bed level, and just general set up on filament printers.  Set up on the Elegoo Mars 3D Printer takes all of a minute - I always level the head before every print but it is a very, very simple process.

The thing that sold me on this was the print resolution. It's something like .047 mm in the X & Y axes, and down to .01 mm in the Z axis. The print envelope is roughly 120 mm x 70 mm x 150 mm high so it's capable of printing pretty much anything I plan on making over the next bunch of years.

Resin is relatively inexpensive and what you don't use goes back in the bottle so there's very little waste.  I've only done a few prints but I have to say that I have been completely blown away by the quality of output from this machine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Resin 3D printers have moved lightyears in just 3 or 4 years since early production models. For detail and scale modelling, its certainly is the way to go over the 'Plastic' FDM style machines, every-time .  Resin material generally has a shelf life of about a year, which is about on par for how long you want to keep spools of plastic filament (they slowly absorb ambient moisture over time).

Have been 'on the fence' regarding getting another resin printer - currently have a Photocentric, which is 'ok' and has a large build area, but not a lover of its resin. it smells, stains everything, and i find partially uncured resin always floating in the tank after a print, so how do you find this stuff for your machine @hendie?  Elegoo and AnyCubic are 2 manufacturers that seem to have weathered the glut of Chinese printer copycats that dropped a few years ago, and remain in the market (and strongly positioned).

also does this machine do any clever things to help the layer peel? like angling the vat or a post wipe? 

On 12/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, Kushan_Farsight said:

also does this machine do any clever things to help the layer peel? like angling the vat or a post wipe? 

No.  It's really an entry range machine with an exceptional (for the price  <$250) detail capability.  Clean up is all manual, but really only takes a few minutes - but for the price I am prepared to put up with that.

Set up is really easy.  My biggest bugbear is with the (Chitubox) software, but it is getting better and the support team are responsive.

To be honest, I've never noticed any smell from the resin, but you're right - it can get everywhere.  I cover the work area with a large plastic sheet and clean up immediately after printing.

The main selling points for me were:  Price, ease of use, and resolution of print.  It's not something I'm going to use every day but provides everything I need to use on an occasional basis.  If it was something that I was going to be using heavily, I would have invested in a higher specified machine, but for what I need it to do, this machine was a no-brainer.

• Like 3