Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Time this was re-railed. Any updates?

I've been looking at it (guiltily) every time I'm working on the Wessex.  

I'm about to apply the clear coat, but the weather is still a bit low temp and I'm waiting on decals from the decal maker - who is taking his sweet time to be honest.

I sent the final version files to him back in when... - it was right around the time of Telford - and first excuses were that he had a lot of work from Telford, then it was Christmas and the weather but I have been promised that I'll have them soon. 

If I don't get them this time around I'll have to start the whole process off again with another decal supplier - and I need those decals before I can fit the vestibule ends.

Hopefully I'll get back on it within the next couple of weeks... stay tuned

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back on the hunt for a decal supplier again.  After several months of being strung along by Melius Manu and receiving excuse after excuse I've decided that enough is enough so I'm reaching out to more companies (and already had several declines!)

apologies for the delay in this, but there's a couple of small decals I need before continuing.

• Like 1

Sorry about swamping you with likes Hendie, it's a stunning build. It makes my scratch-built tank look like a kids being playing with toy bricks in comparison.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

Sorry about swamping you with likes Hendie, it's a stunning build. It makes my scratch-built tank look like a kids being playing with toy bricks in comparison.

Not at all Gorby, I appreciate your input.   I'm following your tank build and loving it - it's amazing how we approach similar problems and can come up with so many different solutions

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

H these 'missing because never done before' transfers

Would a vinyl wrap company be able to help?

S'obvious that the chap you relied on couldn't hack it so I wondered if a different approach mightn't do the job

No, I think that wouldn't be practicable...

Just wondering 😩

7 hours ago, perdu said:

S'obvious that the chap you relied on couldn't hack it so I wondered if a different approach mightn't do the job

Bill, I have another company lined up to try, and no matter what happens I WILL DO SOME WORK ON PEGASUS this week.  I don't care what it is, I will do some work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sorry folks. No modeling update.  Unfortunate events over the last week resulted in having to attend a very, very sad funeral yesterday.  My available time was devoted, justifiably, to other things.

please, no need for comments.

Modeling service will be resumed as soon as possible.  Work visitors due Mon/Tue so likely towards the end of next week. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

No rush, life sometimes has to come first.

I have, however, just booked tickets to Aberdeen to see relatives and the city I haven't seen in nearly 20 years. Unfortunately I left it one year too late to see my Aunt, who passed a month ago.

Ian

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 2:47 AM, Terry Bye said:

Looking forward to Pullman service being restored and also hope the transfer problem is resolved.

Thanks Terry.   Pullman service has now been kicked off once again, this time with a hope that progress will be a little bit better than last time around.  I believe I also have the transfer issue resolved, but I'll wait until I have something in my hand before I count my proverbial chickens.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:02 PM, hendie said:

I WILL DO SOME WORK ON PEGASUS this week.

as it turned out, it wasn't to be that particular week due to life intervening, but this week.... or rather, today...

First things first.  I had to dig out a bunch of parts that I knew I had been working on, but do you think I could figure out where I was heading down that particular path?

No, me neither.  I know it was something to do with doors and vestibules.  Even reading through the last couple of pages of my posts didn't help me there.  Note to self: take better notes!

P4220001.jpg

Eventually I figured it out. Sort of.  The last set of doors I had made had the outer framing a few millimeters too short. The outer frame hangs down over the chassis whereas I had cut them flush.  Pay more attention hend!

This time I had made the outer frames longer so I could trim them to size once they were in place.  However for some reason unbeknownst to me, I had also made them wider.  Don't ask me why.  I know not the reason and can only guess I had some cunning plan now lost to the mists of time.

That meant I had to trim the outer edge of each frame down to 2 mm wide.  A few swipes with a sharp blade to give a groove, then followed up with some careful razor-sawing.  Frame on left cut down, frame on right about to be sawn.

P4220002.jpg

Wash rinse and repeat on 4 doors/frames.  I only messed up two cuts, but I cheated and chopped the frame off near the top and added a new 2 mm wide strip.

Door 1 dry fitted.  As before, the weather strip at the bottom was made with a styrene strip shaved with a knife blade to give a nice steep angle. A small rectangular strip attached to the bottom end, and a piece of round rod glued on the top end.  That all goes together to make a reasonably convincing weather strip.

P4220004.jpg

and just to prove that I have in fact made more than one door...

P4220005.jpg

In fact I had made all 4 doors exactly the same before I remembered I was pondering whether to have one or more doors in the open position.  I think I had decided that I was going to have one door open at each end.  Boogerit.  Luckily I have about a gazillion doors/frames i all stages of manufacture so I've already started to make two frames sans doors that I will attempt to make look good later.

Then before you know it, paint was on!  Yip Yip!!!  I think the weather strip shows up to good effect here

P4220009.jpg

By this time these must be vestibule numbers 8 or 9 judging by the number of times I've made/remade these.  Don't bother asking about the number of doors... it's frightening.

At last though, I think I have the 'production' parts.

P4220008.jpg

T'other end.   It all fits so far.  That's a bonus I guess.

P4220011.jpg

Lastly for this evening, I shall leave you with this parting shot.  It's looking more Pullman than it's ever done before. (though the carpet fitters have left a bit of a mess!)

P4220010.jpg

I'll now leave that paint to cure for a few days before giving it all a good micro-mesh to smooth things down. That will be followed by a second coat, and then... wait for it... now that the warm weather is here, I think the next job will be to apply the clear coat.  To be honest, that's even more frightening than the paint job on the side frames. 

What could go wrong eh?

• Like 11

Wow... second update in a day. What's going on here then ?

Well, I've just sent off my transfers test sheet so all I have to do now is wait and see how much it's going to cost. 

This afternoon did provide a nice moment of panic though when I could not find the drawing I originally created for the transfers.  I spent about 45 minutes searching for it on my old laptop to no avail.  Luckily, I had the drawing on the main computer.

I've still one drawing to find though - the PULLMAN text which sites between the top of the windows and the cant rail... I know I started a drawing for that... somewhere

This is my test sheet - if these sizes work out then I can go ahead and get the full sheet(s) printed

Capture1.png

The resolution of that piccie above isn't great so here's a close up of one of the scrolls

Capture2.png

nothing to do now but sit and wait.... and continue working on the model.

• Like 13

Worth the wait for the update Hendie. I'd say it was the carpenters making the doors that had left a mess, rather than the carpet fitters......

Ian

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well up to standard as always, and as said above, nice to see it back.

I saw a rake of coaches in these colours passing through Lincoln last week.

Hey !! Happy Birthday Pete !

Have a strong belgian beer on my behalf !! For a more realistic one, see you at SMW ! :cheers:

Really great carpenters work Hendie !!

Hope that the transfers will came up soon !!

:partytime: 

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Have a strong belgian beer on my behalf !!

No no no, not Belgian beer, I think this is probably more fitting:

NUHHBZ7gyiIthFPc-ofbechDP6NCzvCqlQnhcnj3

Glad to see this build going again – time to tune into the scratch masterclass again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys. As it happened I was up early this morning for work so I didn't have a drink at all on my Birthday!

Tonight though I do have a glass of Laphroaig by my side. Cheers!

• Like 4

Adoring your doors and miffed I hadn't noticed your handsome handles on p.37 previously H. I'd add something too about scrolling through your estimable scroll work above but that would, I fear, prove altogether too forced a way of extolling one's admiration.

First class work! :laugh: 

(Lord knows what she put in my tea this morning...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Thanks guys. As it happened I was up early this morning for work so I didn't have a drink at all on my Birthday!

Tonight though I do have a glass of Laphroaig by my side. Cheers!

Laphroaig !! Great choice !

Cheers !

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1