Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

On 4/18/2018 at 3:38 PM, TheBaron said:

Aghast that I can read the admiring comments but not see the source of admiration.

you should be able to see them now  that Mike has performed his voodoo

On 08/04/2018 at 11:16 PM, hendie said:

And here we have the finished item - well, without the stays of course.

Gob.

Smacked.

Those door-closers are just exquisite!

Worth the wait to see work of this quality.

Vexing on how the darkness of that paint showed up issues on the vestibules but if it earns us a reprise of your etching talents then those of us watching will be enriched by it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2018 at 20:38, TheBaron said:

Aghast that I can read the admiring comments but not see the source of admiration.:angry:

Do we know where Postimage live? We could all call round there....

Much too late by then Tony, I'd already been and had a word

;)

Just getting this near the front page H

:)

• Haha 2

Soon Bill soon.  I'm ready to mask for the Pullman Umber but I need to make sure I have a clear day ahead of me. 

I also have to remake the vestibule ends  (again)  as I ended up sanding through the seams when reworking them.   At least it keeps me off the streets 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont mind how long it takes, every trip in here is sybaritic pleasure

So really you have provided me with brain tonic, if it takes longer I enjoy for longer  :)

Lovely jubbly

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that you had to rebuild the end caps again. I have had some issues with the paint being fragile on the metal and in order to keep it from lifting off when masked, I started using Frisket instead of tape and I've had no problems with any paint lifting when using the Frisket. Just thought that I would pass that along in case you weren't aware.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I dont mind how long it takes, every trip in here is sybaritic pleasure

So really you have provided me with brain tonic, if it takes longer I enjoy for longer  :)

Lovely jubbly

What on Earth is ‘sybaritic pleasure?’ 🤔 and do I really want to know? 😳

Nice to see this project up and running again Hendie! 👍

• Like 1

Sybarites were some kind of ancient Italian, slightly 'other-sidey' life long pleasure seekers in mythology

How they could breed I dont know, it's a lifestyle I am pleased to leave to others so I prefer just getting my sybaritic moments perusing Hendie's marvelous threads

Lovely plumage though, the Italian Sybarite...

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Greetings all.  Surprised to see me here are you ?  Me too!  It's been a long time and this build has been sitting taunting me every time I sit at the workbench.

I figured that since it is a holiday weekend here in the US that I had no excuse for not getting back to this.  So without further wossisstuff...

Anyone remember this?

P9030005.jpg

Yup.  A side frame.  That side frame took me many weeks to get to that stage.  About 3 repaints if I remember correctly, and lots and LOTS of sanding and micromeshing to get it to a point that I was happy with it.

All that messing about had one further issue - it further exasperated my fear of painting.  I don't know what it is, but painting really puts me off and fills me with dread.  Small bits and pieces aren't so bad but any large surface area just makes the old starfish pucker somewhat.  Anyway, I had decided that today was the day.

First off was to get back to the drawings and dig out the livery specs.  It had been so long since I had visited this I had to do everything from scratch again to be sure I had the correct dimensions.  If painting filled me with fear... the masking on this was even worse.   Have you ever tried masking a straight line over nearly 600 mm ?

Aizu tape came to the rescue here.

I used tamiya 6 mm tape to mark off some 'heights' along the length, then used those marks to align the Aizu tape.  As I got near to the tamiya, I peeled back the Aizu slightly, removed the tamiya and carried on to the next marker.

P9030006.jpg

This is about as good as it gets (for me).  Sorry, the camera isn't good at depth of field and I couldn't be bothered to mess around with it today - I was on a roll (no pun intended) at this point!

As luck would have it, the Aizu tape at 1.5 mm worked out very nicely with the scheme as the ivory panel extended something like 1.45 mm past the top and the bottom of the large windows.  I wasn't going to squabble over 0.05 mm!

P9030008.jpg

The best part of an hour later sees the ivory area masked off.

P9030009.jpg

I had decanted some of the brown enamel paint some time back and it sat waiting patiently in a sealed container until today.  Although the brown enamel was a great color match, I've always had issues when spraying it.  No doubt issues of my own making, but issues nonetheless.

After staring at the container for a few minutes I had one of those life defining moments.  Stuff it!  I'm not going to use it! Nope!  I'm not.

As part of some testing I did way back when this was a regular feature, I had purchased some Model Master Italian Dark Brown.  While it wasn't an exact match, I found that it laid down well, and despite being a tad lighter than the color I was after, a quick spray with gloss afterwards darkened the tone down nicely and was pretty darned close. Also, some research on t'interwebby showed that Pullman Umber shades varied widely since they were always hand mixed.  So who am I to argue!

About an hour later we had this...

P9030011.jpg

Success!!!!!!!!!!!

At least for the moment.  That's just the first coat. (and I've now ran out of paint!)

I'm going to leave that for at least a few days then a light micromesh to flatten it back before laying down another coat.  It is going to be awkward as I'll need to be very careful not to disturb the masking tape.

If that is disturbed I'm never going to get the tape to line up again

A large wave of relief is washing over me as I type - this was the single biggest issue I faced in progressing with this build.  The fear of painting had made me avoid this build for many months.

Now I just need to figure out the transfers... and order some more paint.

• Like 6

That's a lot of work for two bars of chocolate!

Seriously though, it is great to see this happening again hendie. I was worried that the paint issues previously would have made you let this lie fallow but pleased to see that's not the case.

(Dying to see that tape come off now....) 😼

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I was worried that the paint issues previously would have made you let this lie fallow but pleased to see that's not the case.

me too.  I find it hard to believe that such a simple task as painting can fill me with such dread - and of course, the longer I put it off, the more fearful it became every time I approached it.

It's even put me off doing certain parts of the Wessex2 builds. 

Wait a mo'... this is the US - there's bound to be a psychiatrist who specializes in that field... where's my insurance card...

Edited by hendie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

Be very careful with the tape when you remove it and don't leave it on very long.

That is a concern.  It'll probably take a few days for the paint to arrive so I'll be on it as soon as I can.

and I'll be as careful as a careful thing when removing the tape

• Like 2

It might be a good idea to trace the 'good' edge of the masking with the sharpest tip of a very sharp blade that could cut you severely if you nick yourself whilst you are playing with kni... 

Just to let the blade tip define the edge of the paint work on it so it clears nicely without pick-up

Just an idle thought whilst learning to relaxxxx again

Hendie is back on the rails, hoorah!

The browny, umbery, sienna-ey colour looks right, on there

• Like 2

So good to see this back.  Some time ago I masked the flight deck markings of my 1/350 Ark V using Aizu tape (which is fantastic stuff), so I share your pain when it comes to long straight lines.  

But it will be worth it.

• Like 2

I've never used Aizu tape and to tell the truth I've never heard of it. Usually I don't have any problems when I mask plastic so, it hasn't been a problem for me. Where my concern comes from is the fact that these are long brass panels and I had some masking tape issues on my repainted Pocher Ferrari die cast body. The paint chipped too easy and some came off with the tape. The regular plastic model paint didn't etch into the metal as well as I thought it would. In retrospect I probably should have gone with standard automotive paint. After I was sure the paint had set up and was hard enough I used soap and water to soften up the tape and adhesive and I was able to get it off easier without lifting the paint. I'm not saying that this is what you should do but it's just another option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, larchiefeng said:

Where my concern comes from is the fact that these are long brass panels and I had some masking tape issues on my repainted Pocher Ferrari die cast body. The paint chipped too easy and some came off with the tape. The regular plastic model paint didn't etch into the metal as well as I thought it would. In retrospect I probably should have gone with standard automotive paint. After I was sure the paint had set up and was hard enough I used soap and water to soften up the tape and adhesive and I was able to get it off easier without lifting the paint. I'm not saying that this is what you should do but it's just another option.

Use a light coat of metal etch primer to key the paint. I use a rattle can from Dulux (Australia) but any hardware store should have it. Get the one for Brass, Zinc etc.

• Like 1