Revell 1/32 Hawk

Quartz,

Thank you for info on micro drills and Austins. Not been here long and haven't had time to scan local area for modelling supplies.... Although must get to Steve Webb models in Frodsham (near Chester) next time I'm passing. I usually focus on R/C scale models and didn't realise that one of biggest R/C shops is 'on doorstep!'

Question for those who make lots of plastic models..... I have taken to using acrylics (usually tamiya although I note their jars have reduced in size considerably since I bought my last ones (ageing me again!) with my airbrush. I like the simplicity or being able to clean up my tools with water (unlike enamels). But I haven't done much with 'gloss' acrylics, only Matt. Is the gloss finish of an acrylic as good as enamel gloss????

Advice gratefully received.

the aircraft I'm modelling is XX 188, currently on 208®Sqn at Valley.....which needs pylons for its current fit! I may need to invest in a further kit!

Sweeeet. I had my one and only Hawk back seat ride in XX188 back in '87 so I've got a soft spot for her. Here's the one I built in 1/48 a while back. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941254-148-italeri-hawks/?hl=xx188 . I want to build XX351 in 1/32 one day so I'll be watching with interest.

Looking pretty darn good so far :popcorn:

Gaz

Question for those who make lots of plastic models..... I have taken to using acrylics (usually tamiya although I note their jars have reduced in size considerably since I bought my last ones (ageing me again!) with my airbrush. I like the simplicity or being able to clean up my tools with water (unlike enamels). But I haven't done much with 'gloss' acrylics, only Matt. Is the gloss finish of an acrylic as good as enamel gloss????

Advice gratefully received.

The short answer: probably not.

Many users of acrylics (water based stuff rather than the Tamiya solvent based type) will spray the matt colour then use Klear (acrylic floor polish by Johnsons) to get the gloss finish.

HTH

As an aside, I've just had reasonable success by using the Games Workshop's 'Ard Coat gloss varnish in a whizz can from their Citadel Miniatures paint range. Be aware that it comes out fast so care is needed for a thin layer but on the plus side, it dries very quicky and gives a lovely, smooth, glossy finish.

Good luck.

Cheers.

im new to airbrushing (and modelling) and building black model colour gloss acrylic on the exterior of a hawk(xx339)1:48 at the moment, im airbrushing very thin layers, if i make a mistake i rub it down a bit with micromesh and add another coat. going ok so far. much better that spraying enamel. brushing enamel gives too thick a coat in my opinion. being able to spray enamel would be good.

mind if i ask what the extras you are using on this build?

frodsham?>tarpoley. lovely part of the country only ever see it in twilight or the dark on the way/home to/from little budworth. never notice a shop there. ill have to look closer.

Edited by Quartz

Thanks for the comments regards the seats. Long time since I built a plastic kit... Especially 1/32. And the tips regarding gloss finish. Hadn't considered a clear varnish over Matt paint. Will experiment before going near the Hawk!!

Quartz,

The only extras are the etched seat harnesses and the cockpit instrument panels. They are by Kuivalainen (part numbers KPE 32002 and KPE 32001 respectively). Ordered them from Hannants, together with Alley Cat decals. Next day delivered!. Thinks they were about £7 each and were really easy to work with.

What I Would really like is for one of the decal companies to provide the pilots names in 1/32 so that the ac can be individually and correctly finished. Given this in 40th Anniversary year of Hawk T1 in service, the instructors are willing to contribute their names and airframe number, together with photo of each aircraft. (Paint schemes are slightly different on some for the really detail minded modeller!! No takers this far. They seem happy to ignore the fact that each ac (and T2s too!) all have instructor's name beneath LH windshield. Will keep trying... Could be good 'exclusive' set of decals!!

• Like 1

thank you.

ill order in 1:32. just found out i need reading glasses so 1:48 is slightly ambitious. mind you i like a challenge.

that would be a great additon hope someone takes you up on the offer.

Still not quite got the hang of posting photos. Should have about 8 above of the latest build photos. Cockpit detail complete and fuselage now together. Excellent fit with minor filing only required. Hope you can see the photos. Oh yes and a Very Happy Christmas to all those looking in to this build.

Happy Christmas Harriermate,

IMG_2222_zps68f35ba2.jpg

I had a look at one of your links.

On the PB page I copied the "Direct" line then used the image icon above the text box in this post and pasted into that. The image shows automatically. HTH

Edited by geedubelyer

Cracking job so far! Just got the gray moulded version earlier this week so great reference for my build,no aftermarket being used as being such

a tight wad I never buy it and not using the outer pylons and rocket pods if they are of any use to you.

Hi Stevej60,

Managed a couple of coats of acrylic gloss black today over grey undercoat -- very thinly applied. will post once its presentable. Reckon it will need a couple more yet and then probably a polish to give it the smoothness of finish. Or perhaps a fine enamel final coat.

As the RAF don't have outer pylons on our T1As not sure if they are the same as the inners?

Hi Stevej60,

Managed a couple of coats of acrylic gloss black today over grey undercoat -- very thinly applied. will post once its presentable. Reckon it will need a couple more yet and then probably a polish to give it the smoothness of finish. Or perhaps a fine enamel final coat.

As the RAF don't have outer pylons on our T1As not sure if they are the same as the inners?

I will have a close look tomorrow as I have not opened that bag yet,not sure how to tackle the final finish as I am also a Tamiya user got a rattle

can Humbrol gloss black when I bought the kit.

GW, I have long since retired from the Hawk, 208 Sqn and Valley, but with Harriermate to hand you may be able to get this answered. I see, from your model, that you have the 'tail box' with rounded corners and centre tail light. The Hawk suffered from slight directional instability, causing issues with the T1A in its weapons roll. The source was the rounding off of the corners on the tail box (an error caused by the drawing office it is believed). During the 20 years I was on the Hawk the tail box underwent a couple of modifications to try and improve things, the final being a box with sharp, square edges (as it was always meant to be) and identified by a tail light offset the starboard. It was not fleet embodied when I left Valley and, as I subsequently became the 'Hawk desk officer' at HQ and the aircraft was due to be retired 'shortly' it may never have been fleet embodied. I guess Harriermate will be able to determine the state of mod for the aircraft you are representing.

• Like 2

GW, I have long since retired from the Hawk, 208 Sqn and Valley, but with Harriermate to hand you may be able to get this answered. I see, from your model, that you have the 'tail box' with rounded corners and centre tail light. The Hawk suffered from slight directional instability, causing issues with the T1A in its weapons roll. The source was the rounding off of the corners on the tail box (an error caused by the drawing office it is believed). During the 20 years I was on the Hawk the tail box underwent a couple of modifications to try and improve things, the final being a box with sharp, square edges (as it was always meant to be) and identified by a tail light offset the starboard. It was not fleet embodied when I left Valley and, as I subsequently became the 'Hawk desk officer' at HQ and the aircraft was due to be retired 'shortly' it may never have been fleet embodied. I guess Harriermate will be able to determine the state of mod for the aircraft you are representing.

Hi TL, I think I may have caused some confusion, sorry. The images I posted are the ones that harriermate had linked to in his previous post but thankyou for the information, :)

Geedubelyer,

Thank you!! Merry Christmas.

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

All but one of the fleet now have the tail nav light offset to the right...It was part of Mod 2010 which introduced a different back end completely. Only external visual differences (there are couple of engine sensor changes) from earlier ac are the tail light offset and 2 blisters at port wing root in the fairing which allow for easier access to hydraulic rig connections during servicing. Will find couple of picks of proper tail light.

I guess I should file off the nav light and re-datum it now that the error has been spotted!! In fact with withdrawal of XX 156 the fleet is now completely modified to post 2010 standard!

Check out my build, and you can see where the kit needs help inc the tail mod.( A subject that has confused me for years, all the RAF jets were delivered from BAe with the early sloping tail, and were then updated once in service!. The in service mod had been started before the later deliveries, so why was the mod not done on the production line?)

XX350-

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/455/455538.jpg

All Finish Hawks had the later square tail fitted at delivery?

My WIP

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957825-something-ive-been-working-on-in-132ndin-flight-hawk-with-aircrew/?hl=%2Bhawk+%2Bflight

This shot from 1982 shows both tail rear ends were in the fleet at this time, so its asks the question-do you blame a bad TWU range trip on flying an unmodified tail fitted aircraft or just poor flying? :whistle:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/windy488/Aircraft/CHIVENORHawks.jpg

Shaun.