DO-28A in 1/72?

Killingholme

Hi Will,

To my knowledge there is no Do 28 A/B kit in any scale. Sometime ago I compared the Huma Do 27 kit with 1/72 scale plans od the Do 28 and I think it is the best starting point, scratching a nose and engine cowlings and extending the wings. I am still to compare the wings with the matchbox kit with the plans to see if is usable.

I am sot sure, but I think that the plans are of MAP (Aero Modeller or Scale Models) origin. I'll send them too you if you wish.

Carlos

The Matchbox kit of the Do28D and real Do28A is a completely different shaped aeroplane! better to do as Carlos says is to convert the Huma Do27 single engine one to the the twin version 28A

I am nearing completion of a conversion, which is based on a Huma Do-27. I started this about 2 years ago to fill a hole in my Indochina War (and Air America) collection but the build has been stalled for about 12 months now due mainly to a lack of good references. I may just have to let "artistic licence" guide the remainder of the build...

Although I have not been able to find any scale plans (other than a couple of 3-view line drawings), my research has suggested that the Do-28A fuselage had virtually identical dimensions, with the obvious difference being the nose, so little needed to be done here.

The Do-28A wing appears to have been identical to the Do-27 in chord, but longer in span by 1.8 metres (25mm in 1/72 scale). I simply extended the Huma wings by creating silicone moulds of the last 15mm or so of each wingtip and grafting on 12.5mm resin extensions. Part of the reason for the stalled build is a lack of references for the wing panel, aileron and flap detail. The wing slats seem to have been the same (or near enough not to fret about in this scale).

I used the engine pods and undercarriage from the Matchbox Do-28 but in hindsight, I should have just scratchbuilt them both as they are very different. The Do-28D engine pods have a blocky, squared section, whereas the Do-28A are rounded and streamlined. By the time I reshaped the Matchbox items (using a lot of Milliput), there was almost nothing remaining of the original Matchbox plastic! The Matchbox undercarriage fairings also required an extensive rework to reach the Do-28A shape, which are larger.

If I was doing another Do-28, I would build a rough pod of laminated styrene sheet and Milliput then make a resin casting for the second cowl. As far as I can tell, they are not "handed" except for the mounting point for the winglet thingy between the engine pods and fuselage.

Most Do-28As from the Vietnam war era seem to have had twin blade props, so the Do-27 prop in the Huma kit is fine - I made a resin copy of mine for the second engine.

The Huma kit provides a fairly nice instrument panel decal but since this is for a single-engined aircraft, there are obviously some controls missing for the Do-28A. I found some good photos of the Do-28A instrument panel and interior so scratchbuilt a replacement panel and controls, though this detail can barely be seen once the fuselage is closed up and the glazing added.

The only other significant change is to reshape the nose, but this is a job that I have yet to do. I think I will just cut off the Do-27 nose at the rear of the engine cowl and build a new nose from a styrene sheet former and Milliput filler.

I plan to finish my Do-28A as an Air America example (probably N2002F) using Mike Grant decals.

Edited by James Venables

Hi James,

Here are some pics from airliners.net that shows the wing top:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Dornier-Do-28B-1/2440646/L/&sid=d61880131b6456d3793b58cb5ebcba90

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Dornier-Do-28B-1/0826881/L/&sid=d61880131b6456d3793b58cb5ebcba90

There are a few more showing the under sides. When I looked for pics some time ago I found some walkarounds, don't remember where. Having found some Israel Air Force examples, probably sites related with IAF do have more info.

Can you please post some pics of the conversion?

Carlos

Can you please post some pics of the conversion?

Carlos, I am currently in Australia to share Christmas with my family but the model is back home in Laos.

Nevertheless, I do have a few photos of the early stages of the build that I can post. Unfortunately Photobucket is playing games with me by asking me to login every time I try to upload a photo, select an album to drop it into or retrieve the URL, even though I have already logged in! I have simply given up in frustration for now but will try again tonight when I have a little more spare time.

EDIT: I have tried Photobucket again without success. Not only are the uploaded photos failing to appear, but it seems all of my previous albums (except one) have disappeared from my account! I have to wonder what the heck Photobucket are doing and how they can expect to retain users when this sort of thing happens.

If you e-mail me directly ([email protected]) I can send you the pics I was hoping to post.

Edited by James Venables

The German F40 series on post war Luftwaffe aircraft had a volume on the Do 28/228, though I'm ignorant whether this also covers the 28A, as IIRC only two or so were used rather briefly by the Flugbereitschaft.

The first two pages cover the Do28A1, including four pictures (CA+041, 15+01) and silhouettes (front/left/bottom).

Edited by Whisky Papa