Short Sperrin Scratch build, Vacuum, 3D print

How about some of the Hawker prototypes which preceded the Hunter or those from Supermarine which preceded the Swift? They are fairly simple shapes and there are drawings available.

How about some of the Hawker prototypes which preceded the Hunter or those from Supermarine which preceded the Swift? They are fairly simple shapes and there are drawings available.

Thanks that is a good suggestion. Are you keen on building one of them?

So the list at the moment of aircraft that I think look interesting and where there is someone keen to build them.

Shorts Sperrin 1/72

+Interesting design

+Simple shapes

-hard to find good drawings

-large in 1/72
Short_Sperrin_Gyron_engine.jpg

DH91 Albatross 1/72

+Beautiful aircraft

-large in 1/72

De_Havilland_DH.91_Albatross_G-AFDI.jpg

Moth minor 1/72

+good size in 1/72

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/2/6/1686623.jpg

Edited by Mike
Airliners.net pic changed to a link - they don't like people leaching their pics.

Ok, decision has been made. I got some great suggestions but we will go for the Sorts Sperrin in 1/72.

Maverick231 has offered to do the actual building. if anyone else is interested in building you are more than welcome to.

The first big hurdle will be to find good drawings and pictures. If anyone knows of a good source it would be highly appreciated.

The only 'reasonable' drawings you will find are in British Experimental Jets by Barry Hygate in 144.

John

Thanks, actually just ordered that book from Amazon 15 min ago. Learnt from another topic here at BM that the fuselage in those drawings is too boxy. Better than nothing though.

I like the Albatross.

Beautiful lines, shiny finish, unusual subject....I might try and make one whatever transpires!

I agree. The albatross is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't mind building it in the future either. You are very welcome to join in the Sperrin build for now though.

• 2 weeks later...

So, at last some progress!

I and Maverick231 have collected the pictures we could find online while I have been waiting for the book that I ordered. It arrived today and contained some good drawings of the Sperrin with some interesting reading. I got my camera and tripod out and took photos of the drawings so that I have them in the computer. This mean that I should be able to slowly get started with the CAD:ing.

• Like 1

With the drawings scanned and as many photos we could find saved I was able to get started with my computer model. The first step was to verify the drawings against photos that I corrected for perspective in Photoshop. The drawings turn out to not be quite accurate so I will base my modeling of a combination of photos and the drawings.
I started the modeling by blocking out the major components of the aircraft to make sure they all have the correct dimensions.
Below are two images of today's progress. I think it is already possible to tell that we are doing a Sperrin.

blocking2_zps58752428.jpg

blocking1_zps23b84f67.jpg

• Like 4

Martenare,

as you might have seen from my 737-200 build on the WIP forum, I use 3D printing and have done a lot of 3D work in the past.

If you need any advice just PM me and I'd be happy to help.

FB

Thanks Flying Badger!

I am following your 737 build with great interest.

We are not going to print the whole fuselage like you did as the sperrin will be quite large in 1/72. Instead I will CNC the fuselage and wing halves and then vacuum form them. 3d printing will be reserved for smaller parts.

By the way, does anyone know if I can change the title of this thread. I would like to specify that we are building a Sperrin.

Today I has able to spend some time working on the fuselage. As my drawings aren't 100% correct I spent a lot of time trying to get the shape of the fuselage correct. I did this by trying to match the reflections of my computer model with the reflections that I could see on the fuselage in various photos.

I think it is pretty close now. Let me know what you guys think.

fuselage1_zps64b8e998.jpg

fuselage2_zpse026da72.jpg

With the shape correct I proceeded and turned the fuselage into the parts that will be needed for the build.
I will cnc the fuselage halves and then vacuum mould them with 1mm plastic sheets. The nose cone will be 3d printed and the cockpit section (to be CAD modeled) will be vacuum molded with transparent plastic.

I think the fuselage will need a bit of support as it will be 43.3 cm long, so I plan to have my CNC cut three bulkheads from 3mm thick plastic card. Is it perhaps a good idea to add a brass rod connecting the bulkheads as well?

fuselagehalves_zps63fc7e0c.jpg

Edited by martenare
  • Like 3