Short Sperrin Scratch build, Vacuum, 3D print

I have for the last few years been thinking of and experimenting with the new possibilities that technology brings us. We are now able to design a model with a CAD program (with relative ease) and then use CNC routers and 3D printers to turn out the parts.

However, as with all scratch building it is quite time consuming. That is why I thought I would post here and see if any skilled scratch builder(s) would be interested in a joint effort.

I am fairly competent in a free CAD program called Blender, I own a CNC mill and 3D printing is readily available online. I would create the computer model, CNC mill and vacuum form large parts. Smaller parts would be 3D printed online (shapeways, imaterialise). I will then send the parts your way and your task would be to build the actual model! Some parts will also have to be scratch built. We should of course document our progress here at the forum.
We could go super accurate and detailed or just try the actual concept.

So I am hoping this will interest some of you. This will be a great opportunity to build an unusual aircraft or at a particular scale (no point doing it if we can just pick up the airfix box).

Let me know what you think! What aircraft would be fun to make? I will be up for any aircraft as long as we can find decent references to work from.

As a bit of inspiration I have posted two pics of a Swedish Saab J21A that I have been playing with in my CAD program.

britmodellercollabj21_2_zps454dc797.jpg

britmodellercollabj21_zps7cec244b.jpg

Edited by martenare
  • Like 5

Are you kidding me!

Sign me up!!!!!

I have no preference I think it it would just be a hoot to have a crack, see what happens, see what people come up with, see how the whole thing works....

Damn! Sounds like awesome fun to me.

Tell me what you need us grunts to do.

How much fun does this sound like!!! :clap2:

Cheers

Bruce

So I have had a few suggestions for types that I like!

Valiant B. 2 - prototype for a different version than the normal valiant.

Shorts Sperrin - v-bomber backup that was never produced.

Scale 1/72 so they will be quite large models!

No decision made yet though so if anyone else is keen to join in with a different suggestion I am all ears.

I'd love to give it a try. How about the DH91 Albatross? Lovely aircraft, easily available plans, and quite a few repeated parts (eg around the engines) to give best bang for the design time buck). I bet you could sell quite a few kits at Telford 2015 as well...

Bestest,

M.

• Like 1

Great idea but as the suggestions for type of aircraft are coming in and someone right now is probably typing in 1/72 Bristol Brabazon would

it not be best as it,s a first time experiment to agree a small single engined prop or jet in 1/72? :worms:

• Like 1

I'd love to give it a try. How about the DH91 Albatross? Lovely aircraft, easily available plans, and quite a few repeated parts (eg around the engines) to give best bang for the design time buck). I bet you could sell quite a few kits at Telford 2015 as well...

Bestest,

M.

What a lovely aircraft! That could def be a contender.

Great idea but as the suggestions for type of aircraft are coming in and someone right now is probably typing in 1/72 Bristol Brabazon would

it not be best as it,s a first time experiment to agree a small single engined prop or jet in 1/72? :worms:

That is probably very good advice but I like to keep all doors open at this stage. The important thing is to find an aircraft that the eventual builder/builders are enthusiastic about. As long as they have the skills to build it the size shouldn't matter that much.

Do you have any suggestions?

• Like 1

I 3D modelled and rapid-prototyped a replacement 1:72 cowl for a Curtiss Hawk last year. It was a success in the end, but there is a lot of trial and error involved, and if you're using an agency equipped with high enough resolution printers, the costs can quickly add up.

I 3D modelled and rapid-prototyped a replacement 1:72 cowl for a Curtiss Hawk last year. It was a success in the end, but there is a lot of trial and error involved, and if you're using an agency equipped with high enough resolution printers, the costs can quickly add up.

Yes, that is true! I have printed a few parts for models myself and know that printing a whole model would be extremely expensive. That is why I would like to combine traditional scratch building, vaccum forming and 3d printing.

That,s another can of worms as you will see as the thread progresses everyone has their favourite type and scale and as far as mainstream types

are concerned most have been covered by many manufacturers personally and sticking to 1/72 Chipmunk,Vampire,Venom,Meteor,Scimitar,for

me.

... That was my rationale for the Albatross... It's never been done by anyone. It could be 1/72 for a biggish but not too huge model, or in 1/144 to fit in with anybody's airliner collection, which would make it about the size of a 1/72 Mosquito...

Bestest,

M.

... That was my rationale for the Albatross... It's never been done by anyone. It could be 1/72 for a biggish but not too huge model, or in 1/144 to fit in with anybody's airliner collection, which would make it about the size of a 1/72 Mosquito...

Bestest,

M.

Yes we definitely want it to be something different. That is the whole point of scratch building.

At the moment the two contesters are:

Shorts Sperrin

Short_Sperrin_Gyron_engine.jpg

DH 91 Albatross

De_Havilland_DH.91_Albatross_G-AFDI.jpg

Any suggestion for smaller types?

Edited by martenare

I fear you are attempting to run before you can walk. I suggest that you visit the railway modelling threads that deal with 3D printing and get in touch with those who have already done it to see what problems and solutions they found. e.g. http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=136.0 There are people in the aircraft modelling world who use 3D printing for their masters but rely upon more traditional methods for production: perhaps they also have advice?

I fear you are attempting to run before you can walk. I suggest that you visit the railway modelling threads that deal with 3D printing and get in touch with those who have already done it to see what problems and solutions they found. e.g. http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=136.0 There are people in the aircraft modelling world who use 3D printing for their masters but rely upon more traditional methods for production: perhaps they also have advice?

Thanks for your advice Graham. I have been over at some railway modeling forums and seen what they are able to do and not .

But how do you know that I can't walk? I have printed parts for other models in the past and I think I have understood the limits of printing. That is why this project by no means is about 3d printing a whole aircraft. All the major parts will be vacuum formed and a great deal of scratch building will be required. 3d printing will be a small part of this. Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear about this in my first post.

I do appreciate your advice.

Edited by martenare

Bestest,

M.

Never done by anyone??? Even my cat built one!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/cacarr1960/DH91Albatross/Mimo.jpg~original

• Like 1

Oh, I like the albatross, such a nice looking plane. I had to research it as I knew nothing about it.

Also, there only appears to be 1 kit of it, a 1:72 vacuform by Air Craft Models, which seems to be hard to find.

As for the smaller model, how about anoth de havilland, the moth minor? Or better yet, the moth minor coupe?

K

Edited by kwaterous

How about a Heron in 1/48th?

That is a nice little aircraft as well. Good suggestion but it will be a large one in 1/48.

Oh, I like the albatross, such a nice looking plane. I had to research it as I knew nothing about it.

Also, there only appears to be 1 kit of it, a 1:72 vacuform by Air Craft Models, which seems to be hard to find.

As for the smaller model, how about anoth de havilland, the moth minor? Or better yet, the moth minor coupe?

K

Moth minor is a great idea! I'll add that to the list! Thanks. Would you be interested in building it then?

Edited by martenare