Osprey Eggplane or Nigel's throwdown tribute

I was walking through my local hobby shop and spied this lovely little kit. Since I am in awe of the build Nigel Heath is doing on the regular Hasegawa Osprey (link is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970276-172-hasegawa-mv-22b-osprey/), I thought I would give him a tongue in cheek run for his money with this kit. I will show him eggzactly what his build is missing in detail and authenticity. The obligatory box art.

boxart.jpg

And the sprues, in two colors even!

parts.jpg

I really like how they packaged the canopy and wish they would do this on all kits.

canopy.jpg

If every manufacturer did this I wouldn’t have to polish out so many scratches and/or cracks.

First up the cockpit

cockpit.jpg

It is loaded with details, right? Who needs photo etch with this much kit detail. There will be a figure that I am sure will fill the void. After spending milliseconds upon milliseconds preparing, detailing and painting the cockpit, the fuselage halves are joined.

build1.jpg

The horizontal stabilizer is assembled

build2.jpg

The tailplanes are added and the entire tail plane assembly is attached to the airframe

build3.jpg

The main wings are built

build4.jpg

The propeller and engine units are built

build5.jpg

And, of course with one oops

oops.jpg

The wing assembly is attached to the airframe

build6.jpg

The undercarriage is attached

build7.jpg

And the final nose piece is attached

build8.jpg

And here is the airframe ready for painting !!

build9.jpg

The airframe gets its first coat of paint. (A three tone grey scheme). While that dries, I begin work on the pilot.

figure1.jpg

Not a lot of detail. The pilot comes with 2 faces, one wearing the visor and the other exposing the face. The half with the visor down fits great. The half I chose with the face exposed, not a great fit.

figure2.jpg

Some sanding and filing and

figure3.jpg

And here she is all tarted up and very shiny

figure4.jpg

Now I don’t know why Mr. Heath is taking days upon days and just lollygagging around with his build. It took me more time to upload the above photos and write this text than it did to get to the painting stage. The entire build time for the kit to the painting stage (the wheels and cockpit are not installed) took a whopping 30 minutes. That includes making sure the engines would still rotate and work! The finished product is here

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

finish6.jpg

finish7.jpg

finish8.jpg

finish9.jpg

And here it is with its other playmates

finish10.jpg

This was not a weekend build, this was, from the time I got it back from the hobby shop to the time final pictures were taken, a 24 hour build. Most of the time was spent letting coats of paint dry. So, Mr. Heath, you need to get your eggs in a row, unscramble your priorities and get cracking on your build. I put together this highly complicated, detailed and museum quality kit in less time than it takes you to make 2 saw cuts on a door assembly. Is your brain fried or something? I guess the yolk is on you, huh?

Seriously, if you want to see what an Osprey should look like visit Nigel’s thread. The work he does is magnificent and amazing. I do not understand how he can get so much detail in 1/72. I hope he doesn’t take offense to my omelet of a build!! As always, all comments are welcome; sure hope I don’t get poached!

• Like 21

Outstanding work George. However, I must add that we all know you are much too modest to mention the blueprints you drew up from years of peronal resaerch in various libraries throughout the Lone Star state; the PE you created (including mixing the enchant chemicals from your Handy Andy Junior Chemistry set) for the hundreds of minute details that will never be see on Ethel fuselage is buttoned up (but we know they are there- after all you're an attoney and we trust you); milling the pitot tube and landing gear (fully operatioanal, of course) on your Unimat from a section of railroad track you melted down; processing latex from the rubbber trees on your sprawling Texas ranch to create precise replicas of the tyres, etc. We could go on, but know you have no intention of upstaging Mr. Heath's Ospery.

• Like 2

after all you're an attorney and we trust you

A truly noble profession and g-usa is the finest example that it has to offer. I must have missed those extra details but I will now go back and have another look. :mental:

• Like 2

Magic, I want one, have you seen the Egg Planes FB page? Most interesting.

Colin

I tool a look at it. There are some very creative builds. I like the ones with the eggplane and regular kit with it.

They look fun to build

Rick

Rick,

If you want a totally mindless build that only requires very basic skills and that can be done quick without any real hassle from the kit design, these eggplanes are for you. They just are fun.

• Like 2

Yes George , that's why i started that truck build .I wanted a break from a big build . Just a basic out the box build .

I will look into those Planes . They look so much fun .

Thanks for sharing those builds

Rick

• Like 1

"... a totally mindless build..." That sounds like a few of my builds- not intentionally, but some end up looking like I lost my mind at some point in the build. :)

• Like 3

Just checked these out and, fair play to George, this is a limited edition and skill level THREE!

We should applaud his skills and, frankly, his courage in posting this on BM!

• Like 3

I am surprised it is a skill level 3 as it almost went together like a snap-tite kit. When test fitting pieces (I know it doesn't look like I actually did that!) it was quite difficult to get them apart. I just checked my stash to look at skill levels. If this kit is a level 3, then here is something scary; the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX is listed as a level 2!!

• Like 1