F-16 1/32 - what's the best kit?

speedy

I have zero knowledge on these kits, so if I wanted to build a single seat and/or twin seat 16 which kit would be the one to go for. I know it doesn't help knowing what Air Force I'd build but probably not Israeli. I've done a search on ebay and found some really expensive £150-160!

Single seat - Academy, Tamiya & Hasegawa

Twin seat - AFV club

Any advice appreciated.

Tamiya is apparently the best. Although the academy kit is a mighty fine rendition in both single and twin seater versions. The afv club is just the academy kit with a fancy box.

• Like 2

I have the Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50 and its a fantastic kit but only a Wild Weasel option is covered and as far as I know only the USAF flew this so your marking options are limited to GE F-110 engined aircraft. I'd highly recommend this kit if you're not too bothered about which version you want to build. I think Tamiya also did a Thunderbirds F-16 as well.

The Academy kit might offer more marking options but has a few shape issues. There is a good comparison between the two kits here.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=6792

If you want to do an early F-16A there is also the Hasegawa kit but I think its a bit basic compared to the other two kits and has raised panel lines.

• Like 1

Speedy it's really hard to say without knowing what subject you want to model. If you're not bothered by minor inaccuracies, then the Academy F-16CG/CJ kit is the most versatile, offering both engine and intake options plus lots of weapons.

The Tamiya kits are "the best" in terms of fit, engineering and accuracy but they are either/or (GE or Pratt engines depending on which kit) and be prepared to pay for it!

Twin seat would be the Academy F-16I Sufa kit, which still has the options for the two engines, but it's specific to the Israeli version with all its lumps and bumps around the nose.

Edited by Brokenedge

Tamiya Block 50 Weasel is the best, but limited in options. Wolfpack do a WARHUD and LANTIRN pods making a Block 40 smart bomber possible from the Tamiya kit.

The Academy kits really need the replacement Zactomodels inlet and Aries Wheeliant wheels, and if you can get it the Block 40/42/50/52 kit is very good. The Sufa twin is a great kit, and there's an Arab Block 60 twin-seater coming out around now.

The Hasegawa is good for an earlier F-16C but the kit is twenty years older.

HTH

Tony

• Like 1