Mikoyan Mig-21 Silver Arrows Limited Edition. 1:48

Shar2

Mikoyan Mig-21 Silver Arrows Limited Edition
Eduard 1:48

boxart.jpg

The history of the Mig-21 is pretty well known with the type being produced in numerous versions for untold number of air forces throughout the world. This mainstay of Soviet aviation and their allies is still in service in many smaller air forces providing the modeller with an amazing choice of camouflage and markings.

publikace.jpg

The Model
This limited edition box set comes in a large top opening box with graphics of the three versions that are able to be built. On opening there is a large selection of blue grey sprues, two sprues of clear parts some etch, masks, a huge decal sheet and well presented book with plenty of useful pictures, but, like the La5/7 set all the text is in Czech. One first opening it looks like you get three complete kits as there are three sprues of fuselages and three for the wings and tails. Unfortunately this is not the case, as, in their infinite wisdom, Eduard have provided only enough of the detail parts to complete one model, leaving the modeller with a huge pile of styrene for the spares box. Im not sure what they were trying to achieve with this set as it appears to be a really wasteful way of doing things. Yes the kits are up to the usual standard and with the number of variants already released there is something for almost everyone. That said the PF variant included in this set has only now been released as a standalone kit in Profipack guise and will probably be seen soon as a Weekend edition.

The build of each option is similar to the Mig-21R reviewed HERE with changes to the fuselage spine and fin along with smaller detail changes, so didnt feel the build need to be re-stated here. What is also evident though is that there are no weapons or drop tanks included in the box, other than the reconnaissance pod used on the Mig-21R, as the weapons at least are contained in a separate Brassin release. This again is a disappointment and not really worthy in my view of Eduard and their relationship with the modeller.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

sprue5.jpg

sprue6.jpg

sprue7.jpg

clear.jpg

clear2.jpg

etch.jpg

Decals
The decal sheet is huge and provides all the markings and stencils for eleven Mig-21PFs, ten Mig-21PFMs and eleven Mig-21Rs. They are beautifully printed in good register, nicely opaque and with minimal carrier film. There are plenty of colourful markings and even a few camouflaged variations amongst the silver machines, so some interesting models to be built.

decal1.jpg

decal2.jpg

decal3.jpg

Conclusion
Im not really sure what to make of this limited edition set. As we have come to expect from Eduard, this package is very well presented and will give a lot of enjoyment for some modellers, but I think the company have either missed a trick here or they are getting complacent and dont view modellers with much appreciation or respect. A few more sprues and they could have included enough parts for all three versions which, in my view would have been a much more imposing and interesting package and would have given the modeller the chance to use more of the provided decals. It is also a shame that the provided book is only in Czech as Im sure there is some useful information contained within its covers. Oh yes, you can buy the package with a T-Shirt with the box art on the front, if that is your want.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 3

All the internals, cockpit, engine nozzle etc, plus a lot of finer details. Eduard may sell overtrees style sprues, but they haven't mentioned these.

This was a boxing of the kit that I was looking forward to and thanks for the review Dave!

But you're right, odd way to sell the kit with three sets of airframes, but no internals. A junkyard / aircraft graveyard diorama perhaps?

Well done, Dave, I fully agree with you on this overview.

One first opening it looks like you get three complete kits as there are three sprues of fuselages and three for the wings and tails. Unfortunately this is not the case, as, in their infinite wisdom, Eduard have provided only enough of the detail parts to complete one model, leaving the modeller with a huge pile of styrene for the spares box. Im not sure what they were trying to achieve with this set as it appears to be a really wasteful way of doing things. Yes the kits are up to the usual standard and with the number of variants already released there is something for almost everyone.

I think they were trying to do something with their "overtrees".

But they've really missed something there, and lost everyone in the process.

- There should have been at least two complete kits, with the options for PF/PFM/RF. That was the minimum.

- There should have been some resin parts.

- There should have been an english version of the book for oversea market.

And why such a big box for only one kit???

Beside, in the end, I can't find a colour options that suits me well in the box, the last edition with Czech MFs was much more up to my taste.

Agree with the other comments. To answer Prowler's question, to build three you would need two of these: http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Overtrees/Plastic-kits/Aircraft/1-48/MiG-21-small-parts-OVERTREES-1-48.html

I underline the word need because to arm them you may want more of these: http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Overtrees/Plastic-kits/Aircraft/1-48/MiG-21-bombs-missiles-OVERTREES-1-48.html

To bring them up to the same standard as the one built from the box, you may also fancy the photo etch bits, especially for the cockpit. Any maybe the masks? Starts to sound expensive!

Jon

• 2 months later...

I liked the look of this set but was initially put off by the ability to build only one complete airframe. However, I was lucky enough to find it for less than £40 from an online model shop and couldn't resist.

Next, I bought the remaining sets of overtrees directly from Eduard with a small etch set for the cockpit. I did wince at the postage cost it has to be said, but it'll be worth it in the end ( I keep telling myself that :banghead: ).