Whats the best/easiest Bristol Fighter kit

Beardie

Hi all,

I need a Bristol F.2b for my collection, preferably in 48 scale. I see there is no shortage of the Eduard Crocodile out on the net but it looks a particularly tricky scheme to get right although the added PE is attractive plus I gather that it is not representative of a bus that was used in theatre.

What would be your recommendations for a Bristol? Ease of build, availability, representing an important fliers aircraft etc. The underslung lower wing has always put me off trying this crate plus all the rigging

I built the Roden 1/48 Bristol a few years ago. I nearly tossed it a number of times trying to line up every thing - there are a LOT of struts. I also had trouble assembling the engine and fuselage. Kit detail is superb, but for an average guy like me, it was an exercise in frustration.

From what I've read the Eduard kit is easier to put together. Check the build reviews.

Good luck.

I have read a few builds, including one on the Crocodile in particular and, while it looks very nice it also looks like a deuced lot of fiddly work and I don't know if I am up to the challenge. The marking scheme with all those little squares of masking looks hellish to get right. Has anyone tried the Eduard Brisfish? Is it simpler or harder than the crocodile?

I had one of those but sold it a while ago intending to go for the original Eduard profipack boxing (The revell is from the Eduard molds) but haven't plucked up the courage yet to buy let alone tackle the beastie

I've done the Roden in 1/72, which wasn't much fun (although I reckon it turned out OK). I sort of used that to train for the Eduard 1/48 Croc, but am prevaricating due to the chequered scheme. I also have the WNW 1/32, which I intend to do in the Pike livery (and, if it's like most - all? - WNW kits will pretty much fall together).

I would love to have a go at anything from WNW but financial commitments and their sheer size for display puts me off. I refuse to buy even one because I know that I couldn't stop there and have nowhere to put what would end up being a very large collection.

There are at least 4 different injection molded kits of the Bristol Fighter in 1/48 scale: Bluemax, Aeroclub, Roden and Eduard. I believe the Aeroclub kit has parts to build a postwar Mk.IV. I have no first hand building knowledge of any of these kits, but if you do a search you should be able to find build reviews for all of them. The consensus seems to be the Eduard is the easiest to build.

Not sure why you are being put off from the Eduard because of the Crocodile color scheme--there are other options. I have a weekend edition in the stash that offers a more typical standard PC-10 scheme.

Ah well it is the Crocodile which seems to be the only one currently easily available on the internet at the moment from Eduard all others being out of production and not often seen for sale. I may well pick up another of the Revell re-boxings and possibly a set of Pheon's decals and that way if it all goes pear shaped I am not out quite so many pennies.

Which is why I have five sitting in my to-do pile right now!

Thankfully, my beloved is helping me with this problem ...

Don't tell me, let me guess: "You STILL haven't built any of them, it's about time you got rid of them!" ...

• Like 1