Trumpeter 1/35 Scud B

nigelr32

So, I have started this mammoth build... this kit appears to be fully detailed with every part of the original vehicle reproduced. I started an update build on the dragon kit a couple of years ago, and from memory, this kit seems pretty accurate.. like I said.. from memory.

The Frame rails simply clip together, and stay together the fit is that good!! Here they are, top and bottom.. look at all that lovely detail!!

Framesnapfitted.jpg

Frameunderside.jpg

Step One of the instructions has you build up one side of the frame, as does step 2 and 3 before adding the left rail. I have clipped the frame together as shown above and glued the relevant parts as required in step one to the right rail. The whole thing was then weighted down on a flat surface to ensure the frame comes out square and flat.

Here we can see the right rail with step one's parts fitted and the diffs in the foreground. I remade the drive shafts from 2mm rod as the trumpeter shafts were very oval after the seam clean up.. probably my fault??

Stageone.jpg

The Diffs close up, note even the lifting eye is included in the kit.

Diffs.jpg

Here's step one of the instructions.

Instructions1.jpg

Anyway, here's stage two of the build.. very nice detail and good accuracy..

Stage2.jpg

Close up, note the little lifting eyes supplied on the transfer box.. and the moulded on weld seams on the air tanks. Very nice!!

Stage21.jpg

And finally, stage 2 instruction manual..

Instructions2.jpg

• Like 3

Glad to see this build is getting plenty of views and people are following along...

We have now come to stage 3 of the instructions which basically entails joining the main frame rails together.

Stage3.jpg

I painted all the transmission parts before joining the two halves simply because there's so much detail in there!! I think this will be the case going forward, everything in there will need a splash of matt black base before going in?

To give you an idea of the level of detail in this kit, take a look at the next two shots... and this is only stage 3 out of 36!!

Stage3closeup1.jpg

Stage3closeup.jpg

Here's the instruction sheet..

Instructions3.jpg

With stage 3 behind us, we move swiftly on to stage 4.. no hang on.. we've got ejector pin holes to fill and the backs of the bash plates to paint first..

While that dries we can get on with the engine assembly and also start on the transmission cases.. they're for step 5.

Stage4.jpg

Here's the instruction sheet for stage 4.

Instructions4.jpg

Moving swiftly on, we have now finished stage 4 and have attached the skid plates to the bottom of the frame rails.

Stage4done.jpg

The work that Trumpeter have put into this kit is admirable in my opinion. I'm not sure they've left anything out??

Here we can see the engine in position, less leads and fans, along with the transmission and shafts. The engine is clipped in so I can take it out for painting.

Stages4and5.jpg

Stages4and5close.jpg

So, that completes stages 4 and 5 of the instructions, here's the instruction sheet for stage 5...

Instructions5.jpg

Thanks for following along

• Like 1

Very Nice. I shall follow this closely as I have one on it's way from HobbyEasy

I guarantee you will not be disappointed!! Did you see my review in the cold war section? There's a lovely SS-23 out there too!!

A well presented staged build as per instructions...at least somebody uses them. :winkgrin:

Carry on... :popcorn:

Thanks for the compliment.. As its the first online build of this kit, (I believe), I thought I should stick to the manual... though it is difficult!!

Now we move on to stage 6 of the build, which is a comparatively simple step..

Instructions6.jpg

It entails fitting the suspension pivot points and the rear chassis stiffeners. here are the parts as fitted..

Stage6.jpg

Step 7 is way more complex and involves assembling and fitting double wishbone and torsion bar suspension.

Instructions7.jpg

As can clearly be seen, there is a lot of work to be done in this step, and much care is required as there is a lot of clean up to be done on the multiple sprue gates, (No ejector pin marks), and the left/right/front/rear parts must not be mixed up. Thankfully all the instruction part call outs are correct in relation to their sprue numbers..

Stage7.jpg

These are the eight suspension assemblies. believe it or not there are 76 parts here alone!! None of the steering or up/down pivots are glued at this stage. I am beginning to wonder how the ride height will be set? I guess the shocks will come into play.. I am really looking forward to having all eight wheels touching the ground, square.

Thanks for looking..

NOTE :- In the above picture I have assembled two of the front assemblies backwards. Top right and third in from the right have the torsion arms backwards, ie:- the long shaft should be pointing forwards. Lucky it's all snap together!!

• Like 2

I sense this might be an understatement, but, there looks to be a lot of work here! Going well though.

Yes Phil, there is a lot of work going on here. Lots of clean up is required on all the round shafts and tubes, but all in all, the kit has been a stunning build up to now.

Hello everyone,

We've now completed step 6 of the instructions with all the wishbones, hubs and shafts fitted.

Stage6Done.jpg

Everything is clipped together at the moment. The shock absorbers will support the weight of the vehicle.

Stage6done1.jpg

I intend to weight the hubs down between two lengths of steel bar and glue all the pivots whilst restrained. This should ensure all eight wheels sit square and touch the ground.

Stage6done2.jpg

On the subject of detail and what can be seen when completed, here's a shot of an old Maz kit compared to this new Trumpeter kit...

TrumpetervsDragon.jpg

Just a small difference eh?? Look at the underside difference..

TrumpetervsDragonunderside.jpg

As modellers, we are all being spoilt these days with the quality of the new kits on our shelves!!

Thanks for looking in...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your patience guys.. I've been busy on "Other" stuff and have also been busy on the Scud trying to get the suspension all lined up so that all eight wheels sit vertical to the ground, touch the ground and form a straight line when viewed from front or rear.

Let me tell you, this is not an easy task, but I think I got there.. pics to follow tomorrow. Right now she's sat drying in the jig.

On a negative note, I have noticed that trumpeter have missed out some very visible steering parts under the drivers cab.. the Meng kit has them...

Hi all,

As promised, I have got some pics up together of how I got all the wheels in line, square and level.

Basically, due to the many pivot points and parts in each assembly I managed to get it all wrong, some corrective action was needed...

Wheelsquaringup.jpg

In this picture we can see three of the axles have a round shim on them. (Some of the shims have a shim on top to square the face up. This will get all the wheels sitting the same distance from the centreline of the chassis, so, all in line... Next I had to make a small cut in some of the upper axle pins, and gently bend them to get them square to the ground, so now all the wheels will sit perpendicular to the ground. The cuts in the axle pins were then shimmed with card to make them solid again. Now you can understand the long time left drying. I didn't want to use superglue for fear of it being brittle.

In the next pic we can see the shim with a slither of card in the top, to make it perpendicular to the ground...

Wheelsquaringup1.jpg

Next, the shock mountings had to be broken, so the axles could all be lined up parallel to the ground. This was done using two lengths of ali square section as a jig. I think we can all see this "bodge" has worked a treat...

Wheelson1.jpg

Wheelson.jpg

Wheelson2.jpg

In this next shot we can see the parts for stage 8 of the build, painted on their inner/under faces to ease the painting operation.

Stage8parts.jpg

Watch this space for stage eight of this great little kits build..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...