Roden 1/144th VC-10

Radleigh

Yeah we used alocrom 1200 too (the stuff you mix 50/50), but that was mostly on small bits that had been made.. messy stuff if you didn't have gloves on, you look like you've smoked 1000's fags with the yellow fingers :lol:

I still speak to a few painters but tbh I haven't a clue where they are, most are civvie now but a few that stayed in have re-traded.

What are the glaring errors? I've heard the cockpit is no good? I've often thought about getting the Anigrand kit, but I will have a Airways vac kit soon I think...

My view is Anigrand come in for pretty unfair criticism comapared to other manufactures. Anigrand need encouragement because they have the guts to produce that many wouldnt even give second thought to - the modelling World be much poorer without them. Thier customer service is top notch too. Yes, thier kits need modelling not just pressing together but whats wrong with that? I have built a number of thier models and I can confirm, their Atlas, Titan and Bell X-22 are spectacular when built.

I can tell you for nothing that an Anigrand kit is far easier to build than an Airways one and has far more detail. They are one of the few manufacurers that go back and improve thier back catalogue, please lets give them some credit.

Marty...

Marty..

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 3

My view is Anigrand come in for pretty unfair criticism comapared to other manufactures. Anigrand need encouragement because they have the guts to produce that many wouldnt even give as second - the modelling World be much poorer without them. Thier customer service is top notch too. Yes, thier kits need modelling not just pressing together but whats wrong with that? I have built a number of thier models and I can confirm, their Atlas, Titan and Bell X-22 are spectacular when built.

I can tell you for nothing that an Anigrand kit is far easier to build than an Airways one and has far more detail. They are one of the few manufacurers that go back and improve thier back catalogue, please lets give them some credit.

Marty...

Marty..

I've not got a problem with building them ( I prefer working with resin after nearly 5 years of working with it in my last job..) , I love the range of kits too I just have little spare money at the moment and the Airways kit is 'cheap' :)

Doesn't mean I won't buy the Anigrand though, I'd like a couple of VC-10's as I painted them in the RAF.

• 1 month later...

There was no Laker VC 10 sadly. the only Laker VC 10 was G-ARTA which was leased out to MEA the whole time they had it.

Didn't Laker own BUA before he set up Laker Airways? I admit it's a bit of a stretch but...

Freddie Laker was Managing Director of British United after his original group of companies, ATEL,Air Charter and Channel Air Bridge (dont think there were any more!)became part of Airwork,Airwork merged with Hunting Clan to become BUA. He left BUA in the mid 60's to form Laker Airways.Somewhere in the back of my mind is Morton Air Services,not sure where they came in to the equation though.

Edited by bzn20

Yes...it was Aviation Traders, Air Charter, Channel Air Bridge that Laker owned. He didn't own BUA just managing director. He got disillusioned with BUA, left and formed his own airline.

Air Charter merged with Transair, HCA and Airwork to form BUA but Channel Air Bridge initially remained separate with British United Airways on the tail. When Silver City was taken over and absorbed into the BUA group, it was merged with CAB and British United Air Ferries remained separate.

Three airlines in the group stayed with their own identity. Air Ferry, Morton Air Services and Jersey Airlines.

After objections from the IoM about Jersey Airlines Heralds operating the Blackpool IoM service, (fierce holiday rivals), Jersey was rebranded British United (CI) Airways. The Herald did the Jersey-Blackpool run on Saturday and remained on the Blackpool IoM all week with the return being operated by the Herald that had been there from the previous Saturday. The old Northern division of Silver City that operated the route using the name Manx Airlines had a Dakota based their all through the sixties, G-AKNB which was the only DC3 to wear the later BUA sandstone and blue livery. All the other Jersey Airlines DC 3 were either sold or transferred during the sixties to Morton alongside the carriers Heron 1 aircraft. Air Ferry used their existing aircraft plus the two BUA DC 6. A Superfreighter and a Carvair were at sometime operating in BUA livery/ Air Ferry titles. Air Ferry had their own Freighter 31

In 1967 BUAF was sold to Keegan and became BAF. at the end of 1968 Air Ferry closed and BU(CI), Manx and Morton were merged into BUIA (British United Island Airways). Separate to BUA and both owned by British and Commonwealth Shipping, they operated for a couple of years before BUA was sold to Caledonian Airways to form Caledonian//BUA, later British Caledonian and BUIA dropped the United and became BIA.

Edited by garryrussell

• 4 months later...

http://www.roden.eu/HTML/framemodels.htm

Yeah you're right.There is a type 1154 and a type 1151.1151 is BOAC/BA Super and the other is the East African Super ( with FR8 door)

So what are we expecting now?

Edited by bzn20