Roden 1/144th VC-10

Radleigh

Well that's very good news! Think I'll need a few, Laker, BCal, BUA, Gulf Air & Air Malawi.

Paul Harrison

You can also have Ghana a/w, United Arab Emirates, RAe Bedford. As Gary said,no Laker but you could have GARTA in BOAC (pre 64 colours) proto colours and BCAL.

Also BOAC (1964 Golden Speedbird with step down cheatline,gold edged) . Also with... Air Ceylon and Nigerian script. BOAC in 1965 mkngs with Nigerian script.

1965 BOAC colours,Gold Speedbird with the smooth swoop lower edge cheatline.

2 types of Nigerian green mkngs,

Gulf had 2 types of mkngs and originally BOAC with Gulf Air script

Ghana had 3 diff mkngs.

Sultan of Oman's personal transport. originally in the old BCAL colours with A40-AB in white numbers on the dorsal, blank dk blue fin.

Then there is the original pre BUA British United.

Sierra Leone had British United basic colours with Sierra Leone script and their flag instead of the Union Jack.

BUA//Caledonian mix.

BOAC with British Airways script and another in BA's fin in 1st colours with BOAC cheatline.

Good job there was only 54 built,try doing this with the 707! If you dont have any books, do a Google Image search. They'll all come up

GARTA got beaver tails eventually and other refinments featured in production as flight testing flagged up failings and improvments on the original set up.

I mentioned on another thread that Scott Henderson has a sequel to his brilliant Silent Swift Superb book (Scoval) out middle next year although this will be almost,if not all RAF VC-10's.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

There was no Laker VC 10 sadly. the only Laker VC 10 was G-ARTA which was leased out to MEA the whole time they had it.

Yep I know and your'e right it is sad it was not in their colours but I'm a what if modeller some of the time. Thinking of a Pan Am one too though I think a Super would be better!

Paul Harrison

More of what could have beens are United Arab Airlines, CSA, China Airlines and Qantas .

I forgot the RB211 testbed XR809/XLR earlier but thats not a straight forward build.

Qantas would look good with that big ol'Roo on tail. Want to do a twin RB211 powered one, have the Airfix Tristar engines (not the most accurate!) waiting for it.

Paul Harrison

The first BOAC livery as worn by G-ARTA was also on G-ARVA-F not sure about 'G

I think the BOAC with full BA fin was the trainer G-ARVM which was the only one to wear full BA livery later...Old Warden fame.

Re G-ARTA getting beaver tails...Freddy Laker bought it as he did want it to be scrapped when it could be brought up to standard and put in service

It was said at the time, due to it not being in any way like production aircraft with structural differences, wiring, piping etc., it would have been cheaper to build a new one.

But it was brought up to full spec.

Just a thought. IF, a big if that is, the Roden kit does happen, i wonder what effect will it have on the sought after Airfix ones? One thing for sure is that it won't be that cheap judging by other Roden 144 kits. I suspect around the £32.00 mark. About the going rate for a second hand Airfix one.

TA did indeed have a very hard landing, there was a large crumpled area on the fuselage just in front of the wing leading edge.

Paul Harrison

The first BOAC livery as worn by G-ARTA was also on G-ARVA-F not sure about 'G

I think the BOAC with full BA fin was the trainer G-ARVM which was the only one to wear full BA livery later...Old Warden fame.

Re G-ARTA getting beaver tails...Freddy Laker bought it as he did want it to be scrapped when it could be brought up to standard and put in service

It was said at the time, due to it not being in any way like production aircraft with structural differences, wiring, piping etc., it would have been cheaper to build a new one.

But it was brought up to full spec.

I have pics of GARTA in original BOAC proto colours wth Beavers.

It would have as it was never repainted during it's test phase that I can think of, apart from the odd detail here and there.

I liked that livery, especially on the Super that only existed on G-ASGA for a few flight before it was nuetralised into VC 10 livery.

Nice if one day they did a Super and then the prts could be combined for a C1.

As a what if of sort, Varan Air-Siam were buying it but could not get the finance. MEA were in the same position but they did at least lease some.

The Chinese were talking to BAC in the early seventies just as the line closed as they were considering an order big enough to retstart production. It was a follow on part of a deal hatched in about 1969 that included 13 Comets and 35 Viscounts from BEA which represented the entire remaining fleet at that time. This was to modernise CAAC

That all fell though. but they did at least buy Tridents.

The history of BEA Airtours, the latter history of BEA and Dan Air would have been very different had that happened.

Just a thought. IF, a big if that is, the Roden kit does happen, i wonder what effect will it have on the sought after Airfix ones? One thing for sure is that it won't be that cheap judging by other Roden 144 kits. I suspect around the £32.00 mark. About the going rate for a second hand Airfix on

Probably kill that particular market stone dead - at least for kit builders. Not sure about collectors market although, it might also put an end to some of the silly prices I've seen for the old Airfix kit.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Hi Allan,

I sort of based my guess for the price on the Boeing 720 which retailed at £ 25.99. Being as the VC 10 is a bigger aeroplane I hazarded a guess at something like the one I mention. But... it could come in at more like £29.99. :shrug:

:cheers:

It would have as it was never repainted during it's test phase that I can think of, apart from the odd detail here and there.

I liked that livery, especially on the Super that only existed on G-ASGA for a few flight before it was nuetralised into VC 10 livery.

Nice if one day they did a Super and then the prts could be combined for a C1.

As a what if of sort, Varan Air-Siam were buying it but could not get the finance. MEA were in the same position but they did at least lease some.

The Chinese were talking to BAC in the early seventies just as the line closed as they were considering an order big enough to retstart production. It was a follow on part of a deal hatched in about 1969 that included 13 Comets and 35 Viscounts from BEA which represented the entire remaining fleet at that time. This was to modernise CAAC

That all fell though. but they did at least buy Tridents.

The history of BEA Airtours, the latter history of BEA and Dan Air would have been very different had that happened.

Thay varan outfit wanted Supers for the Pacific routes.There were airtists impressions of this, I presume done by Vickers. Its in the Silent Swift etc. book.

That Chinese VC-10 deal was to include them starting up a VC-10 production line in China. They bought 707 and IL62's instead. There is a funny story involving a PIA 720 flying to Albania with a trade delegation from China,there wasn't direct flights to/from China at the time.

Edited by bzn20

• 1 month later...

Hi Allan,

I sort of based my guess for the price on the Boeing 720 which retailed at £ 25.99. Being as the VC 10 is a bigger aeroplane I hazarded a guess at something like the one I mention. But... it could come in at more like £29.99. :shrug:

:cheers:

Probably not far short of the mark. I think that would be a bit pricey though for a fairly modest sized kit

Allan

With this, the Britannia and the re-issue of the Airfix Vanguard in Red Square, the 707 in BOAC and Comet in BEA Airtours airliner modellers are in for a good year.

There is always the Anigrand 1/72nd in resin. Not as bad as made out to be,needs some work to put glaring mistakes right. If you want it C.Mk 1 exactly the Stubs,TP bullet need "tweeking". U/C legs and decals don't look up to much.A few other "little" things.

Edited by bzn20

There is always the Anigrand 1/72nd in resin. Not as bad as made out to be,needs some work to put glaring mistakes right. If you want it C.Mk 1 exactly the Stubs,TP bullet need "tweeking". U/C legs and decals don't look up to much.A few other "little" things.

What are the glaring errors? I've heard the cockpit is no good? I've often thought about getting the Anigrand kit, but I will have a Airways vac kit soon I think...

Hi Radleigh

One thing was they moulded the reverser exhaust on part of the stubwing . The cockpit area like you said. Don't let any of it put you off though. The bits that need doing are all part of the fun. It is ,isn't it?!! Apart from the mismoulding of the stub/exhaust.....Glaring might be an exageration!

Nothing really stands out until you really look at some area's,apart from the stub mould issue. The other stuff is rivet counting.

Btw,you'll know this...What was the yellow primer used on VC-10's. Was it Chemi-etch or chromated Poly or something else? I'm sure we used both from 70's to 90's.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

We had a few primers and one etch primer, the yellow primers were 205 and 143 Epoxy primer (the bright yellow/green one you see) the etch, was more a golden colour, which went under the 205 or 143, but we also had 205 and 143 in black too, which also went onto the VC-10, but I think that was just on the flaps, panels etc, yellow was for the fuselage, wings and all other large areas, including wheels.

I think I may have to get the Anigrand this year, I really want a 1/72nd VC-10!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I don't think I ever saw any black or green primer on 'tens.Even the internal cockpit primer was yellow. We used to Alachrom 1200 then any primer we could nick and the What ever the topcoat was when we made brackets,angles etc.

You got any mates at Brize still?