Roden 1/144th VC-10

Radleigh

I have found photos of sprues on shops site here

I would be nice see instruction, but there is no need to be hurry, I will get it eventually. It looks headlamp are hollow, which is nice.

I have found photos of sprues on shops site here

I would be nice see instruction, but there is no need to be hurry, I will get it eventually. It looks headlamp are hollow, which is nice.

Its a truck !

British armored car (Pattern 1920 Mk.I)

Thought it was a bit wierd,the engine was up the front end ! Made me laugh though. I was on the VC10 tank team at Brize, not this kind of Tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

The VC10's are now being dispatched from Ukraine by Roden, they are distributed in the UK by Bachmann/Pocketbond and you should be able to get your hands on one or more very soon.

The Tanker version also is well advanced and I will keep you all up to date as to a release date.

Please see http://www.frogmodelaircraft.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=324for further details and a photo.

Martin

* Sorry that this is a duplicate post but the last one vanished*

• 3 weeks later...

Can the new Roden kit be built as a RAF transport example? Are there any dimensional differences between the military and civilian versions?

IIRC, the 'standard' RAF VC10 C Mk 1 (when it entered service in the mid 1960s) was a combination of the standard VC10 fuselage with the Super VC10 wing so its a hybrid. I'm sure thats what I was told as an impressionable youngster that regularly travelled with 'Shiney 10' and often got invited to the flight deck…..those were the days !. I lost track of the airframe variations with the subsequent second hand purchases from British Airways etc, that emerged as K.2, K.3s etc. There are bound to be one or two ex-RAF VC10 techies or operators on this site that can give you the definitive answer.

The C.Mk1(became1K) has a Standard Fuselage. The wings were from the Super originally, with the leading edge extension. The BOAC Standards with the reg starting G-ARV and later sold to Qatar Govenment (G-ARVF now in German Museum) Gulf,Nigeria* ( 5N-ABD *crashed) some of these ended up as RAF K2s and haven't got this L/edge extension. BUA/BCAL's (and sold to Air Malawi Sultan of Oman's,RAe Bedford) MEA,Ghana,were either changed on production or retrofitted with the bigger L/edges. The (internal) structure,ribs etc. could well be different in Gauge/thickness(I read somewhere this was the case and sometimes inside a K2 wing I thought that something looked different but couldn't put my finger on it) but it doesn't change the exterior look or dimensions.

So...The C.Mk1 and 1K have the same wing as all the others except for the BOAC Standards and those sold on .

BUA VC10s had a different wing tip,check the VC10 walkround pics for that.

Wing fences are different (position moved or deleted from Standard spec) on the Supers,C.Mk.1 and 1K,K3 & K4.The K3s are ex East African Supers,K4s are ex BA Supers.

Its a hell of a subject with variations to stub wings (Length width/Shape and cross section) Even between the Supers. Beaver tails (Modified from birth to death !)

Its a good idea to get a VC10 production list for who bought which frame and which operator they were sold to. You can Google VC10 production list if you haven;t got one.

Hope I haven't missed anything out here but I wouldn't bet on it! Its a rat's nest trying to remember all the little changes. If you want to know anything else just ask

Forgot the Kites with freight doors. East African,Ghana,one MEA,Air Malawi,Sultan of Oman,RAe Bedford,BUA/BCAL,RAF C.Mk1 (1K),K3 Think thats it !

They only built 54 !

Edited by bzn20

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Roden, web site "The VC10 served in all recent Major conflicts including the Falklands war in 1982 in which it also refueled the Vulcan bomber sent to bomb Stanley Airfield (operation Black Buck)"......ahem?

Anyway, does anyone know if Roden plan to do a C.1 version?

Thats funny. The only RAF VC10s we had in 82 were C.Mk1s. We scrapped the original Probes a few years earlier and no way of getting fuel out the other end to fast jets. The nearest we got was Ascension .One or two lifting pallets of fresh veg and another lifting crates of Cluster Bombs every day on the 2 to 4 am specials out of Brize !

No idea about a Roden shiney Ten though.

Edited by bzn20

Anyway, does anyone know if Roden plan to do a C.1 version?

According to someone I spoke to Saturday, it was reckoned by him that there won't be. But I have a feeling there will because the parts breakdown allows it. They just need to do a new set of standard wings and a short fuselage as far as I can see.

In the BOAC and EAA kits the sprues with the pods have those AAR pods cut away!!! But they can be seen in the above sprue shots. But I now notice the under fuselage hose outlet is attached to another sprue with the tailplane parts!!

Stub wings from the Super,Beavers from the Standard (not the conical shaped from the EAA Supers/K3/K4) Super wing tips. Do not use the BOAC/BA standard type wing but other Standard wings are OK (BUA and sell ons) . Wing Fences might have to be scratch built and postioned from checking photos/drawings. The cabin freight door could be a decal or scribed. PAX doors,freight bays correct for all Standards.

Edited by bzn20

Stub wings from the Super,Beavers from the Standard (not the conical shaped from the EAA Supers/K3/K4) Super wing tips. Do not use the BOAC/BA standard type wing but other Standard wings are OK (BUA and sell ons) . Wing Fences might have to be scratch built and postioned from checking photos/drawings. The cabin freight door could be a decal or scribed. PAX doors,freight bays correct for all Standards.

Thanks. Might have to keep note of this if Roden decide not go down the C1 route

• Like 1