Question about the old Airfix USAF Jetstream Kit

upnorth

Hello all;

I was looking at some sites on the web recently and found myself getting a bit nostalgic for the Jetsream 31 aircraft that used to fly out of the now defunct municipal airport back in my hometown in Canada.

This is what they looked like in those days (mid/late 80s time frame):

zoom-j1.jpg

net photo

I've seen a few builds on the net where someone scratchbuilt mods to turn the Airfix USAF Jetstream kit into a J31, but I'd like to know how close reworking the cargo door, engines, props and scratching a baggage pod really get you in such endeavors before I set about tracking down a kit.

Basically, how close is the variant represented in that kit to a J31? Do I have to change any of the major dimensions or can all of the changes happen inside the kit's established dimensions?

I've heard it is very accurate in portraying the shapes and dimensions of the Jetstream variant marked on the box, but can a J31 truly be reached from there?

Also, were any aftermarket bits ever made to facilitate such conversions? I've seen aftermarket J31 decal sheets.

Thanks in advance

Basic dimensions are similar, but the devil is in the detail. I have seen it done, but it's not easy.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_Jetstream_to_J31_conversion__about30980.html

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942128-bae-jetstream-t3/

I'm not aware of any conversions to J31, although there are a few resin kits.

Edited by Dave Fleming

Here's a link to my 2007 conversion of a similar Jetstream T3.
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=104094
All of the build shots have gone but the commentary survives.
And this is how it finished up.
AirfixJetstreamComplete1.jpg

I've never measured the accuracy of any parts.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

The Canadian Partner decal sheet I have from Airline Hobby Supply gives a fairly substantial description of the mods needed to do a Jetstream 31 from the Airfix kit. PM me with your Email address and I can give you a copy of the instructions of modifications.

Cheers, Tony

Hi there, I did a conversion that features in

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_Jetstream_to_J31_conversion__about30980.html

I have lost all the build pics in the mess that is my PC filing system, for me the biggie was converting the engine (upsidedown front face and filling and shaping the front of the nacelle and then the 4 bladed props which are reworked Airfix F-27 examples (the later kit had 2 sets of props I used the earlier version props) and used the jetstream kit spinners modified to 4 blade.

I was very happy with the result it still sits on my shelf whereas many of it's cousins have been given away or converted to components..it really looks like a Jetstream but I am not AMS. I have another 2 or three kits in the stash I will do another again.

The conversion is doable and it doesnt take much to make it look like a J31, I can spare you a kit if you want to take the plunge.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Very helpful and informative.

New 1/72nd Jetstream 31 is coming soon from Amodel.

Paul Harrison

That's good news if they do it correctly. I'll keep an eye out for it and reviews of it. Hopefully it will be released in time for the model show here in Brno in June.

The Canadian Partner decal sheet I have from Airline Hobby Supply gives a fairly substantial description of the mods needed to do a Jetstream 31 from the Airfix kit. PM me with your Email address and I can give you a copy of the instructions of modifications.

Cheers, Tony

PM sent, thanks for the offer.

Hi there, I did a conversion that features in

I have lost all the build pics in the mess that is my PC filing system, for me the biggie was converting the engine (upsidedown front face and filling and shaping the front of the nacelle and then the 4 bladed props which are reworked Airfix F-27 examples (the later kit had 2 sets of props I used the earlier version props) and used the jetstream kit spinners modified to 4 blade.

I was very happy with the result it still sits on my shelf whereas many of it's cousins have been given away or converted to components..it really looks like a Jetstream but I am not AMS. I have another 2 or three kits in the stash I will do another again.

The conversion is doable and it doesnt take much to make it look like a J31, I can spare you a kit if you want to take the plunge.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll bookmark your conversion and keep your offer of the spare kit in mind if I can't find one more locally.

And if you need any F.27 props, PM me - I have one or two spare ...

Thanks for the offer, but I found a set of props for a Dornier 228 in my spares. According to the info Tony sent me by email, they are appropriate for a J31.