Type VIIC U-Boat 1/72

Alan P

Hi I've finally got my mojo back after a disastrous time with a 1/32 Su-27 which ended up in the bin. Decided to start last year's Christmas present, the CMK waterlined Type VIIC U-Boat in 1/72.

tn_IMAG1984.jpg

I have a very useful reference book, plus some very informative PDFs from AMP

tn_IMAG1985.jpg

This fantastic book was a snip at just £18 from the antiques cabinet at the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth!

tn_IMAG1986.jpg

It's some very substantial lumps of resin - I've glued the two hull halves together with Devcon 5-minute epoxy, filled, sanded and primed. Some of the weld lines and rivet groups disappeared in the process, Archer Transfers will rectify that!

tn_IMAG1987.jpg

The conning tower fittings cleaned up and primed. All the castings are near-perfect, just flash and cleanup required.

tn_IMAG1988.jpg

The only assembled pieces so far - deck gun and 20mm C/30 AA gun. Both barrels needed straightening with a hot bath and pliers.

tn_IMAG1989.jpg

Great casting detail - this whole tower is one complete piece. Dunno how they do it!

The following pics show the crispest of detail on the hull pieces:

tn_IMAG1990.jpg

tn_IMAG1991.jpg

tn_IMAG1992.jpg

tn_IMAG1993.jpg

All I've done so far is attach the torpedo loading hatches, which are separate to facilitate a dockside diorama. I'll be posing this with crewmen on deck as a "returning from patrol" diorama. The sea base is 100x20cm!

Handling the completed hull is like trying to paint a javelin (as in spear!) it's a long, thin and heavy lump at the moment.

Going well so far, hope I can manage not to mess this one up, even though I got it half price from Hannants sale last year, it was still a very expensive kit.

:)

• Like 7

Thanks everyone. Hope I can maintain such interest!

First round of painting completed - all colours used were WEM Colourcoats ( :weep: will be very missed by me for one)

tn_IMAG1994.jpg

I used Dunkelgrau 51 above the waterline, Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau for the saddle tanks, and a mix of Admiralty Grey AP507A and Night Black for the deck.

tn_IMAG1995.jpg

I might have done the deck the wrong way round - after 3-4 weeks at sea a lot of the the black wood treatment would have been washed away. I probably should have done the wood colour first. That might be a reason to not go mad weathering the deck!

tn_IMAG1997.jpg

The conning tower wood effects look better - they will be stained with the black wood preserver with rubbed off parts where the crew would have been standing.

I need to remove the cast rail circled in the picture

tn_IMAG1998.jpg

This is where the decals need to go, and it's the easiest way rather than cutting up the decal.

Speaking of decals, there are very few options for the kit as provided. Like the Revell "Wolfpack" kit, it represents an early-war Type VIIC. But there are few options provided to enable a good representation of any particular boat of that period - no optional parts for bridge, trunking, spray shield or breakwaters - it's a purely generic example. Given that I wanted to build one of the Germaniawerft boats (U94-98), I opted for the best documented and probably most-represented example: U96. A modelling cliche it may be, but I just didn't have enough original reference material to make U94 or U98.

Much research later, I decided to place it in the timeframe of Jan-Feb 1941, which would have most likely matched its appearance shown by the kit. The main features are the forward net-cutter (fitted), midships breakwaters (not fitted) and early conning tower spray shield (unlike the Revell kit, there is no option for the last two features). U96 returned from this patrol on 27 Feb, and that is how I want to display the finished boat.

U96 had the famous "Lachender Sägerochen" emblem, but its appearance has been much interpreted, after it became the official emblem of the 9th Flotilla later in 1941. U96, a 7th Flotilla boat, would have also had "Der Stier" as its official flotilla emblem, and there are photos showing both in situ.

The best documented design for U96 was green, and of a simpler and less stylised version than later more popular versions (like the black one seen in Das Boot - red is also a popular choice, as well as the blue suggested by Revell!)

9.jpgsmiling_sawfish_tshirt.jpg?height=250&wi

The simple design on the left, and the more stylised and popular rendition on the right.

I ended up making my own sawfish decals, and using AMP's Snorting Bull to go on the front.

tn_IMAG1999.jpg

They turned out very nicely. Used Klear as a setting agent and they have not silvered!

tn_IMAG2000.jpg

tn_IMAG2001.jpg

Need to look at weathering next - don't want to overdo it...!

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 3

Thanks again guys.

Started some weathering, first the deck:

tn_DSCN4205.JPG

tn_DSCN4206.JPG

tn_DSCN4207.JPG

The wash is still wet at the front, I'm using a sludge wash made from Tamiya Nato Black acrylic. The wood effect is Testors Model Master Wood over MM Leather, mostly dry-brushed.

Looks a lot more effective now, but i have to stand miles away to fit it all into one frame!

tn_DSCN4208.JPG

Started the weathering of the hull - right side only, using Tamiya XF-24 Dark Grey:

tn_DSCN4209.JPG

tn_DSCN4210.JPG

tn_DSCN4211.JPG

tn_DSCN4212.JPG

Looks a bit rough and ready now, but still have loads to do!

:cheers:

• Like 3

Nice work so far, did the Revell U 552 in 1/72 some years back, not easy to handle but VERY visible. Your weathering looks impressive, i will follow this with high interest. :popcorn:

Currently, i have put my both Eduard 190s aside, and i am finishing Revells Type VIID minelayer in 1/144

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 2

Thanks chaps :) it's easy to overdo this when you get going, as the next pics will show!

Went up to 11 on the conning tower:

tn_DSCN4213.JPG

tn_DSCN4214.JPG

I will need to tone down or at least vary the rust spots here, they look too uniform and probably too large around the railing mounts. It's only pastels so should just wipe off with a wet brush (I hope!)

Went to the next stage with the deck, and I think this will do at this point!

tn_DSCN4215.JPG

Stage 2 weathering for the hull:

tn_DSCN4216.JPG

tn_DSCN4218.JPG

tn_DSCN4219.JPG

tn_DSCN4217.JPG

The streaks and rust marks were done using Lifecolor Tensacrom filters. quite easy to work with, but very little needed.

U96 was on patrol for 30 days in February 1941, a particularly harsh time to be out, so I want it to reflect that, although it probably wouldn't look this beaten up as they were still well cared for early in the war. I'm using this build more as a test bed for severe weathering techniques, and to try to replicate some or all of the effects of sea abuse all in one snapshot, which isn't necessarily the most realistic, but looks pretty good to me!

:)

• Like 2

The weathering is starting to come together beautifully; within reason I think it's pretty much impossible to over-weather a U-boat! They really got the crap kicked out of them, and some of them ended up looking seriously knackered; I guess a tidy paint job wasn't exactly top of the list of priorities!

Good work.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys, managed to do a bit more this evening!

The weathering is starting to come together beautifully; within reason I think it's pretty much impossible to over-weather a U-boat!

With that in mind.... (sorry for the blurry photos, the light was really bad)

Stage 3 weathering - rust effects with pastel chalk.

tn_DSCN4221.JPG

tn_DSCN4222.JPG

tn_DSCN4223.JPG

tn_DSCN4224.JPG

Trying to get the tower and hull to "match" in the degree and type of weathering:

tn_DSCN4225.JPG

The top view shows the deck weathering and the rust streaks on the top of the tanks:

tn_DSCN4227.JPG

I think this is about ready to go in the water..... :D

Big kit, coming together nicely and I love your weathering, looking forward to seeing your ocean base :popcorn:

Thanks! It's going to be a harbour base, contrasting the weather damage with the smooth, tranquil waters of the harbour, which hopefully will tell a story in itself.

It starts with an MDF base:

tn_DSCN4228.JPG

I drew round the outline, and laid sheets of cling film under the sub.

tn_DSCN4229.JPG

tn_DSCN4230.JPG

The open hatch covers provide a very convenient place to screw it down to the base!

tn_DSCN4231.JPG

With the sub firmly attached, I can pull the cling film tight around it, which masks it from the rest of the base.

tn_DSCN4232.JPG

Now I attach cardboard strips all round the perimeter of the base board, making a well to contain the sea.

tn_DSCN4233.JPG

tn_DSCN4234.JPG

When it's all tightly taped together, I seal all the inside edge with PVA glue.

That'll take a while to dry, so I will make a start on all the tower fittings and the pesky cable tensioners - none of those provided in the kit, unfortunately.

Till later.... :bye:

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 5