1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb to Mk.Ib conversion - - - - - ?

Sky Pilot

I am hoping to do a 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb to Mk.I with cannons (aka Mk.Ib) conversion - preferably using an Airfix kit as I believe that the kit fuselage is more accurate than that for the Tamiya version. Your opinions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect that the Cutting Edge gunsight might also be a problem - the words "rocking horse" and "droppings" come to mind.

Any tips, hints and pointers would be welcome.

Cheers

John

I am hoping to do a 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb to Mk.I with cannons (aka Mk.Ib) conversion - preferably using an Airfix kit as I believe that the kit fuselage is more accurate than that for the Tamiya version. Your opinions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect that the Cutting Edge gunsight might also be a problem - the words "rocking horse" and "droppings" come to mind.

Any tips, hints and pointers would be welcome.

Cheers

John

While I am on the conversion topic I would also like to do a Mk.Vb to Mk.IIb job - again preferably Airfix. Any offers ?

Use the new Airfix VB kit. The Tamiya kit is 'fat' - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-update-301114/page-3

For a IB, you need a new prop, DH Type, and the smaller oil cooler.

for a IIB, you need a Rotol prop, and the smaller oil cooler, plus a small bulge behind the spinner.

The oil cooler could be got from the Airfix Spitfire I/II/VA kit, as it's a spare for the VA, or just cut down the kit one.

Refer to photos for other details, eg exhaust type and windscreens.

3-D model do a Mk II conversion, but both props could be got from an Airfix Hurricane for example, the kit comes wit both types which are correct for what you want.

They are in the Airfix Spitfire I/II/Va kit, but this has a high thrust line, and thus the spinners are too big.

What 'Cutting Edge' gunsight? AFAIK they had the same gunsights?

I see Edgar is reading as I type, he'll know more

EDIT - the underwing cannon bulges on the Mk IB maybe a slightly different shape

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935744-spitfire-mk-ib-vb-question/

R6923 IB later converted to VB, as this photo shows. Slightly narrower underwing bulges to a standard VB

spitfire_mkib_92_sqn_qjs_r6923.jpg

Photos are in 'The Spitfire Story' by Alfred Price, including an earlier one of R6293 with a black port wing and what look like a mk I oil cooler, on page 79 on my copy.

Edgar has reposted the diagrams in this thread, for clarity I have put them here. Thank you Edgar for posting these.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935744-spitfire-mk-ib-vb-question/

early fairing

VbMagazinefairing_zps14d95763.jpg

standard VB faring, as in the new Airfix kit

33108SHT667amp668HMagFairing-Copy_zps246

7190229194_24a4a919b6_z.jpg

Hey Troy

Firstly, many, many thanks for your suggestions.

I see that the components that you have identified - the two props, the smaller oil coolers and the Coffham starter bulge are all available in the Airfix Mk.I/Ia/IIa kit of which I will have a few. I'm not yet sure about the exhausts and windscreen / canopy or from where I might source them.

Once again I would appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Regards

John

What 'Cutting Edge' gunsight? AFAIK they had the same gunsights?

I don't know the CE sight, but early types had an oval reflector glass, with a square type later on (and I don't know exactly when.)

Hey Troy

Firstly, many, many thanks for your suggestions.

I see that the components that you have identified - the two props, the smaller oil coolers and the Coffham starter bulge are all available in the Airfix Mk.I/Ia/IIa kit of which I will have a few. I'm not yet sure about the exhausts and windscreen / canopy or from where I might source them.

Once again I would appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Regards

John

Hi John

The New Vb comes with 3 types of windscreen, and 3 types of canopy, and 3 types of exhaust, so one should be OK, refer to photos.

(these parts and the sprue breakdown also implies that a new Mk I is coming, i'd say in time for next summer :whistle: )

If in doubt, ask here.

The oil cooler could come from the I/II/VA kit, but the SPINNERS ARE TOO BIG, I said this in my original post.

This is because the thrust line is too high, in the I/II kit and the OLD VB kits.

Correctable by sanding down top of cowl... but it makes the spinners too big. The new VB is correct.

The Hurricane parts are better as the correct diameter, and are in many a spares box.

see here for info on the older early Merlin Airfix Spitfires

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59537-the-definitive-spitfire-mk1-thread/

as to the thrust line problem.

pic and work out of fix by John Adams of Aeroclub.

HasSpit3009.jpg

One possible problem, the mk I had fabric covered ailerons, the V has metal. There are threads on this here

eg http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78963-spitfire-ailerons/

So a IB would most likely have fabric. You could use the ones from the I/II/VA, but they are a bit clunky, and need both the fabric rubbing back and thinning down. But would allow you to do a VA if you wished, again, see post above for a famous user of the VA...

The other problem is colour schemes, I know of the pics of the 92 Sq IB's, and a couple of IIB in either the Price Spitfire Story book, or Spitfire, 'the History'

If you don't have the books i can dig the specifics.

also worth a read Early cannon-armed Spitfires

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927373-early-cannon-armed-spitfires/

Turned up when I searched for the Ailerons thread.

HINT - Use google to search the site, add britmodeller into your search term, it works much better than the actual site search, and it's how I found the above. There are very few Spitfire questions that have not been asked here!

I don't know the CE sight, but early types had an oval reflector glass, with a square type later on (and I don't know exactly when.)

Edgar, I maybe wrong but I think John is referring to the resin aftermarket company 'Cutting Edge' who went out of business a few years ago.

I don't know what gunsight he meant though.

cheers

T